Is it safe to bring gold coins into the DR?

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
If I were a White man, I would not risk moving to the DR, that is just my opinion. I would aim for Uruguay or Chile, because those countries have large populations which are of European descent. I would also consider Argentina but their government keeps making economic mistakes. I'm being a "racial realist." Do you want to know why I'm saying this? I will give you guys and example: LIBYA.

Libya has a majority Arab/Bedouin population. When Gaddafi was in power, he was tolerant of Blacks and allowed them to settle there. Guess what? Now that Gaddafi has been overthrow, the new regime has been targeting Black Libyasn for genocide. You can go Google it, it has been all over the news. They are killing, torturing, and throwing Blacks in prison. What is the moral of the story? When a society collapse, being a minority in that society is dangerous. I've warned Blacks against relocating to European countries because, if the EU collapses, and Europeans revert back to nationalism, there could be a backlash against minorities living in those countries. Even a Greek Olympian got kicked out of the Olympics because she made a negative comment regarding all the Blacks living in her country. Europeans could easily turn on the Blacks that are living in there nations, just as Hitler did the Jews. Likewise, Dominicans could do the same thing. This is why if I were White I'd aim for Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, and not the DR. Since I'm Black, I have no desire to live in any of these countries for the same reasons.

You forget that "Blacks" have been in Libya since forever..... as is for millenia - It is in Africa after all - the first occupants were "Black" ...then came the others white/brown Arabs, etc......

The Arab and Asiatic foreign fighters brought in to create"revolution" have always had animus towards Black Africans and in particulr Quaddafi's fondness and acceptance of his and Libya's "Blackness"....but your point is well taken.

I think the Libya example might be more illustrative of what could happen if there is a major collapse in the DR. Dominicans and most Latins absolutely worship "White People" - they spend much of their time and cultural life negating all African and exalting all European. If there is a collapse, it is the unambiguously black Dominicans and Haitians who will have the problem...(see Trujillo). the "White" will be perfectly fine ...... Dominicans regardless of complexion want to be them or love them too much and will not overly harm them

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Anyone can pick up money at WU. Passport is sufficient. But the vig is enormous, as they give you the money in Pesos at a bad rate. Not a good place to transfer money.

I may not have many choices. How bad is the exchange rate? For instance, if someone sent me $500 via WU, how much would I get after fees and the exchange rate?

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
It's only a form of insurance, not necessary to label a person a conspiracy nut just because they plan for the worst. That's what insurance is. It is a very valid question as far as what to do with your precious metals. The worst place to keep them would be a bank or safety deposit box, if that institution closes there is no guarantee you will have access to the metals.

I would find a safe place to discreetly bury the gold and just bring the silver to the dr in small denominations, to have it close in case you need it. If for some reason the economy was to tank, it may have a global implant affecting many other economies. The last thing you want to be holding is a paper note. You would be much better off with ammo, metals, he'll even toilet tissue may have more value.

So choosing To move some of your paper currency into metals is a smart insurance decision.

Thank you Allaffair. It is nice to hear from another person on this thread who has a brain. When and if the dollar collapses, these other guys will be crying and shooting themselves in the head once all the money they have becomes worthless. I have a lot of silver. I could bring a bit to the DR, but it is probably best to sell most of it and repurchase it later as I doubt I'd make it through Domincian customs with over 200 ounces. I can easily move my small bit of gold to the DR, I can just mix it with the Dominican/American coins I have and that should be that.

I hate the idea of selling my silver for cash. I will lose money on premiums and taxes, and I would be selling at a time when the dollar is going down. However, I don't have many other options. If I store it here in a safe deposit box, as you said, the bank could close, there could be a collapse, or the government could simply seize it. What I will probably do is find out how much I could get in cash for my silver within the next few months. I really want to hold on to my silver because I know in the next five years it is going to be far more valuable than it is today.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why don't you bury it somewhere safe? apart from your arse, that is? like, a cave? or a grave (rhyming was not intentional)?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Escorpion;

The best way to hold silver is silver dollars, not 100% silver..but most of it is. They are advantages to live in d.R. many, just the magic in the air is enough for me. But from quality of live point of view that in itself is enough..notwithstanding any emergencies in the U.S. or the world. D.r. for me is a special place.
If you have the economic staying power..is all it takes..a little bit of money and you are set for a comfortable and incredible
life...you may not miss A/A women after a while (only kidding..)
I see gold and silver as just one more of many financial strategies, if it goes up fine...it will just help you along the way.
Not all conspiracies theories are flawed and not all you read in corporate/government media is necessarily truthful.
Best of luck to you.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
why don't you bury it somewhere safe? apart from your arse, that is? like, a cave? or a grave (rhyming was not intentional)?

Burying the metals in the ground or a cave is ill advised. People hike, use metal detectors, and explore caves. Any land which isn't public is private. Bury it on private land it it belongs to the owner of that land if they find it. If they catch you burying it on their land, they can come after you for trespassing. Bury it on public land and if someone finds it is theirs. Plus, you didn't consider the fact that people build houses and buildings on vacant land, and land which is vacant today, even in a wooded area, could eventually be turned over for development. So burying it is a bad idea. Imagine coming back to an area years after burying your silver, just to find that it is covered by concrete and buildings?

I've come up with a far more simple solution, one which solves virtually all my problems. First, I don't mind keeping my silver here in the USA...........so long as the Federal government can't find out where it is. That is the key. If I can hide it in a place where they can't get a hold of it, then I can come back and retrieve it when needed. I can avoid selling it which means I don't have to worry about fees or taxes. The simplest answer is SELF STORAGE. There are a bunch of storage facilities here in town where you can rent a little locker or vault, and for a measly $26 per month, you can store it and they will ensure it up to a certain amount. I like this option far more than safe deposit boxes in a bank. I like it far more than carrying 15+ pounds of silver through the airport and customs, and hoping I have no problems. I like it better than selling the silver for cash and taking a huge loss. Self storage is the only cost effective option I see right now. Store it and pay the $26 a month until the time I'm ready to bring the metals out. Don't tell anyone about it and the silver should be secure. Storage facilities have security with lots of lockers/safes, the chances of yours getting robbed is possible, but slim.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know what? if you take this rapture talk so seriously why don't you bring metals here, in small packages, over few trips. then sell them in DR (no taxes, commissions etc). and then buy land. of course this won't get you much but if you saved up you could get a finca somewhere in a campo. it is better to have your own source of food than all the silver and gold in the world.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Escorpion;

The best way to hold silver is silver dollars, not 100% silver..but most of it is. They are advantages to live in d.R. many, just the magic in the air is enough for me. But from quality of live point of view that in itself is enough..notwithstanding any emergencies in the U.S. or the world. D.r. for me is a special place.
If you have the economic staying power..is all it takes..a little bit of money and you are set for a comfortable and incredible
life...you may not miss A/A women after a while (only kidding..)
I see gold and silver as just one more of many financial strategies, if it goes up fine...it will just help you along the way.
Not all conspiracies theories are flawed and not all you read in corporate/government media is necessarily truthful.
Best of luck to you.

I agree with you. These people who say that the DR is "hard" don't know what true hardship is. If you want real hardship, I would recommend living in Syria, Somalia, or Afghanistan. Those countries are hard. The Dominican Republic? Based on my trip there, I see the country as being inconvenient, not hard. If you have money you have money. If you don't you don't. Any country will be hard when you're broke and poor.

There are certain areas where I will save a bunch of money there. One is in medical/dental. The USA is flat out ridiculous, getting my teeth cleaned here sets me back $300, I got my teeth cleaned in Santo Domingo for like 50 pesos or something, can't remember. You do not want to get seriously ill in the states. It is a commonly known fact that healthcare costs in the USA are a leading cause of bankruptcy. Another area where I will save money in the DR is on food. Again, America is expensive, I currently spend in excess of $200 per month on food here in the states and I am a bachelor with no kids, and I rarely eat out, and I still spend $200+ on food. No way I will spend that much in the DR, not from what I saw while I was there. The only areas which are high in the DR is electricity, even rent isn't that high if you know where to look. I was watching this video where this Dominican chick had a really nice apartment......for only $200 per month. It was like one or two bedrooms. You will never find that where I live. To give you guys an idea of how high food is in the states, I was in the grocery store, and this man had like five sons. He said he spends over $1,000 a month just on groceries...

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Escorpion;

Yep..you know it. A little bit of money (about 800 us) a month and a low profile life = paraiso en la tierra.
and like the saying go....once you go dr....you wont go back.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
you know what? if you take this rapture talk so seriously why don't you bring metals here, in small packages, over few trips. then sell them in DR (no taxes, commissions etc). and then buy land. of course this won't get you much but if you saved up you could get a finca somewhere in a campo. it is better to have your own source of food than all the silver and gold in the world.

I like your strategy. However, there is something you didn't consider............the cost of flying back and forth to the United States to get the silver. I live in the Western United States, over 2,000 miles away from the DR. A flight to the DR is a looong one for me, about 17 to 20 hours. Now, lets say I have to make three trips to get the metals. The last time I flew to the DR I spent about $1,000. So three trips is $3,000. That eats into the value of the coins plus it is hassle traveling through airports these days, as everyone knows.

Now........if silver where to rise to $130 an ounce, in that situation, it would be cost effective to fly back and forth to retrieve it, as the value of the silver would greatly cover transport costs(unless fuel and oil prices rise, but that is another story). Here is what I'm trying to say...........at this particular moment, with silver only being $27 an ounce, it is simply not cost effective to fly back and forth from the DR to the Western United States retrieving it. The smarter strategy is to store it here, under the nose of the annoying Feds, then, once silver reaches the dazzling price I know it is going to reach one day, then I pay for the cost to either ship it to the DR via Brinks or Viamat, or manually bring it here in parts. But $27 an ounce silver is not high enough for that. Better to store it here for now.

Last edited:

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Escorpion;

Life is hard if you are a poor arse any place....life is incredibly good in dr. with a lot less. And i mean good.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Escorpion;

Life is hard if you are a poor arse any place....life is incredibly good in dr. with a lot less. And i mean good.

How easy is it to get mail in the DR? For example, if my bank here in the USA sends me a new debit card, will I get it before my current one expires, or will there be a long delay which leads to me being cut off from my funds?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How easy is it to get mail in the DR? For example, if my bank here in the USA sends me a new debit card, will I get it before my current one expires, or will there be a long delay which leads to me being cut off from my funds?

You will need to set up an account with a "forwarder" such as EPS, the mail gets sent to Miami first then forwarded to a local office in your Dominican town.

EPS • Express Parcel Service, Int

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Or have it couriered to a local hotel, law office - something like that.

My AMEX renewal came that way - to me c/o the local hotel.
Fedex drivers know places like that.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I like your strategy. However, there is something you didn't consider............the cost of flying back and forth to the United States to get the silver. I live in the Western United States, over 2,000 miles away from the DR. A flight to the DR is a looong one for me, about 17 to 20 hours. Now, lets say I have to make three trips to get the metals. The last time I flew to the DR I spent about $1,000. So three trips is $3,000. That eats into the value of the coins plus it is hassle traveling through airports these days, as everyone knows.

Now........if silver where to rise to $130 an ounce, in that situation, it would be cost effective to fly back and forth to retrieve it, as the value of the silver would greatly cover transport costs(unless fuel and oil prices rise, but that is another story). Here is what I'm trying to say...........at this particular moment, with silver only being $27 an ounce, it is simply not cost effective to fly back and forth from the DR to the Western United States retrieving it. The smarter strategy is to store it here, under the nose of the annoying Feds, then, once silver reaches the dazzling price I know it is going to reach one day, then I pay for the cost to either ship it to the DR via Brinks or Viamat, or manually bring it here in parts. But $27 an ounce silver is not high enough for that. Better to store it here for now.

Just a thought... my country is over 5,000 miles away, and it takes me 9 hours to get here. Shouldn't you get a faster plane?

BelgianK

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think the only flights this guy takes are,"Flights-of-Fancy"!
I think his "Gold & Silver" are already in a safe place,His Mind!
Actually,THAT, place may not be "Safe" either.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
U need to use your head first ! Please. Eps that it's sent to in Florida and the brought over by a private co. Or another such service. Will ensure you get it within a few days . So if you ask or check the forums advanced search there may be several Good ways to do this Economically . If u can't pm me and I will look it up for you caio