General Questions!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
tips are not meant to receive a good service which anyways should be awaited.
tips are a appreciations of a service providing employees work, a extra given freely nd not as a must, and as i wrote more than once above, there is no set amount, everyone goes on such by his/her own guideline and financial posibilities.
if i would book a great deal where i pay just $1.000.- for a week per person including flight, taxes, airport security taxes, visa cards, exit taxes, roundtrip airport transfers, then i would adjust the amount of tipping money according to my given budget/value of vacation package. and when i spend a week at a location where the room only costs $300.- per night, then i am willing to tip a higher amount/a higher amount will be within my personal budget.

not tipping should not and usually will not lower your booked and to be expected service, a tip to a service providing person is a appreciation which automatically goes a long way including the appreciation shown by a nice word/a good morning when entering the coffee shop/a Hello or good afternoon when arriving at a Bar in the afternoon etc etc, and of course as usual world wide a such treated employee will remember you when you come back later that day/next day, he may remember even your name, the way you want to have your favorite drink mixed etc etc.
it is often small stuff that gives a very nice extra touch to a week's stay, and very often it is a small afford which trickers such nice small extras to happen.
of course such is not everyones thingy, some people may not even want such, we are all different and have different preferences and good so, otherwise this world would be a boring place.
there is no guideline for right or wrong on the case, so i can just tell how i do act on the topic discussed here, others describe how they handle the topic on vacation, so bordmembers interested in the theme get the whole 9 yards of possibilities/behaviors and can make their decision about what fits best for them.

no need to name bordmembers "he/she gives so gently, he/she is so cheap/bad", as each has their own possibilities and have to act/live within their own boundaries.
and no, i would not consider myself any rich man or such, compared to foreign people running a similar job/business in a other country i guess my own yearly income is located well below that of most others, but i do not look on what others have, i just look on what I have for my family and we live/spend according to that, if the neighbour spends on a vacation/tips/new car double or just half of what we spend, that's something that does not matter to me.

Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
i would never leave money on a daily basis in a hotel room.. but i do always remember the cleaners with something when I leave. I am careful to put some money out on the table in the room and then some OTHER money in the bathroom, sorta out of sight so the girl who has to do the really dirty work gets a bit.

Lots of us have worked menial jobs and those of us who have are not gonna forget those times easily..

When I drove up to LT once, I stopped on the new road to use the bathroom at the Red Cross station. It was manned by four enormous guys.. all above six two.. who fussed over me and made me feel very safe. When I left, I was lucky to be able to hand each one of them a one hundred peso note.

As I was leaving, one of them called out ALLELUIA

now that is only a $2.50 US tip

how sad, i thought, to be in a country where so huge a man should be so very grateful for so little..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I do not travel in the same economy as Mike.. ususally at one thousand peso a nite places...

but .. even if i do not have much money.. i go into my purse or suitcase and find something that i can leave in the room for the girls...

i was a house clearner once myself!!

not to mention a wife!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Der Fish....I have been in the Bavaro area and inbetween there and the airport.....not really my cup of tea....perfer cultue/local areas such as P. Plata........Sosua........Charimicos.........Bani..........but to each there own. Where is your spot of choice in the DR?

Charimicos...... you are joking??.. Sosua !! Yeah those are some real cultural Mecca's . The stimulating museums and vast display of history is right after Italy, Paris and New York.
Charimicos ... that is a good one.. the last time I stumbled through that mess I kept thinking,now I know the the reason C-4 is manufactured

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
well, it is really clear that everybody tips depending on their "pocket's wealth".
I remember long time ago, how tips from Royal family from Saudi Arabia and other Gulf kingdoms had room to appear in newspapers and magazines when they were used to come for holidays to the south of Spain, to Marbella. The ones serving them were really lucky ones!
Just one tip from that people would make the living of a dominican hotel employee for some months ... so you can imagine :)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Over the years in PUJ the Canadian tourists arriving during the Christmas season would bring with them bags and bags of school supplies for the local kids. The easiest way to deal with these supplies was to send them out with one of the "safari jeep" excursions for delivery to schools along their route.
It got to the point where there was just so much that I figured it was high time to share the wealth. I started to re-direct a good portion of those supplies to the little school in El Cortecito. The teacher could not believe the "goldmine" and was beside herself with the generosity of the tourists. Needless to say the kids went nuts with all the neat "stuff".
Everybody was was thrilled and those tourists who could be convinced to make the delivery themselves came away with the "mother" of feel-good moments.
It was especially gratifying when we could send a family with young kids to make their own delivery.....Just the type of experience that could stay etched in a young child's memory of their vacation to the DR.
............Live in hope, anyway.:classic:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well, it is really clear that everybody tips depending on their "pocket's wealth".
I remember long time ago, how tips from Royal family from Saudi Arabia and other Gulf kingdoms had room to appear in newspapers and magazines when they were used to come for holidays to the south of Spain, to Marbella. The ones serving them were really lucky ones!
Just one tip from that people would make the living of a dominican hotel employee for some months ... so you can imagine :)

that is good to hear
often those with the most money are the most tacano
that is how they got to be rich

costa rica grew into a mecca from Yankee tourists who are known world wide to be great tippers.

good to know that the Saudi Royals are good as well

so sorry about Syriana

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that is good to hear
often those with the most money are the most tacano
that is how they got to be rich

costa rica grew into a mecca from Yankee tourists who are known world wide to be great tippers.

good to know that the Saudi Royals are good as well

so sorry about Syriana

that's right, in so many cases(of course i don't say ALWAYS, as such general thingy does not exist) the most generous tippers are not the richest of the richest, it is the avaerage Joe who is a employee or small business owner himself back home

Mike

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
When I book my room in advance, I may tip for the service if its good. Good means for me: its what I booked for or more. Or the service is just nice and polite. I'm so much an a 'h as I decide my self which person earns a tip.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
When I book my room in advance, I may tip for the service if its good. Good means for me: its what I booked for or more. Or the service is just nice and polite. I'm so much an a 'h as I decide my self which person earns a tip.

that's exactly the point, at least in my opinion,
it is YOU who decides who earned a extra tip by your preferences and well feelings.
hence there's no guidebook which would tell a "rates list" about this and that worth that and this, such doesn'exist.
as an example,
i could pass at a upscale place a tremendous time of a long weekend, all is very fine and the family enjoy's themselves, but one single sankie type of guy bothered his way onto the wall and sure he will get bnot a peso of a tip or such.
on the other side, and i experienced that variation, too, we stay at a place and we've been not in any way satisfied with the assigned room and neither with the changed room/rooms for a week's stay, i sure would not tip not even a dime to the guys/gals i worked with to get finally the room i booked and paid for, but i darn sure would still tip the maid who prepares the not liked/satisfied room in her best way to accomodate us, as she still did the best she could and maybe even above that even that her superiors did fail to provide what was booked.
tipping is for myself always a thingy that come's out of the feeling of the stommack, at the moment something occurs, a service is provided or denied, there is no $$$ guideline to that.

Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: Money exchange. Marlie, there is no way that "your bank" will give you anywhere near what is available here at one of the exchange houses. Yesterday, FYI, I received RD$40.70.

You might want to get a hundred changed so you have some pocket money, but anything else, please consider doing it here.

I sure hope you can meet up with the PIB and Chririmoya....that would be a kaffeklatch to remember.

Have a ball.

HB

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I agree that while a person's means might have some bearing on the amount of a tip, the far larger determining factors are their basic generosity and also (unfortunately) the culture of their homeland. the reason I say that is unfortunate, is because one should be guided by the customs of where they are, not where they come from, that doesn't just apply to tipping. when in Rome...

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
RE: Money exchange. Marlie, there is no way that "your bank" will give you anywhere near what is available here at one of the exchange houses. Yesterday, FYI, I received RD$40.70.

You might want to get a hundred changed so you have some pocket money, but anything else, please consider doing it here.

I sure hope you can meet up with the PIB and Chririmoya....that would be a kaffeklatch to remember.

Have a ball.

HB

Hillbilly, I ordered my pesos yesterday at work and the staff rate was 39.06. I didn't exchange alot as I just wanted to have some for my arrival and the first day or so, until I could find my way to the bank, but I thought that wasn't a bad rate for the little amount I was exchanging.

Chirimoya pm'd me her phone number so I sure hope we can get together, it will be so great to finally meet!

Thanks Hillbilly for wishing us a good time! I am so looking forward to it, and always thank you for your advice. I have always held you in the highest regard, so you know I will take heed :) Take care!

Marlie

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Hey Marlie, if u figure the cost in US (they do sell Pres in all sizes and containers here) and you do the conversion to RD, you wouldn't be far off, eg, small here is $1.25 - $1.50 and lg is $2.50 - $3.00. So in RD, multiplying by 40, u can expect to pay 50 - 60 pesos for sm (I recently paid 65) and 100 - 120 pesos 4 lg. If they charge much more, shop around 'til u find the right spot. Everyone sells Pres. This rule applies 4 most anything with few exceptions so u can figure your budget accordingly with a little extra 4 margins. Enjoy the area.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hillbilly, I ordered my pesos yesterday at work and the staff rate was 39.06. I didn't exchange alot as I just wanted to have some for my arrival and the first day or so, until I could find my way to the bank, but I thought that wasn't a bad rate for the little amount I was exchanging.

Chirimoya pm'd me her phone number so I sure hope we can get together, it will be so great to finally meet!

Thanks Hillbilly for wishing us a good time! I am so looking forward to it, and always thank you for your advice. I have always held you in the highest regard, so you know I will take heed :) Take care!

Marlie

Marlie,
listen to Hillbilly,
your staff rate of a exchange rate with 39.06.- pesos per dollar is a full ripp off, even at the counters of our local banks you get well above that.
i exchanged a couple days ago for our Valentines Beach Lobster Sweep some greenbucks, the actual exchange rate been 40.85.- pesos per US$, and rising.

have fun

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
but the above given exchange rates are of course only available when you leave the resort and exchange at a Bank or at a exchange booth(best rates are the exchange booths).
if your only other option would be the lobby of a hotel or a exchange counter at the airport etc, then your staff rate would be the better deal.

Mike

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thanks Mike, and yes I do listen to Hillbilly, as his advice is always right on! I just exchanged a little for (like he said) pocket money to get me through the first day or so, until I can get to an exchange house. You have to remember that I live in a very small community in the middle of Canada, and the closest cities are 4 1/2 hours away...so I make do with what I have available! LOL

Thank you again everyone for the great responses. As I worked at two resorts in Puerto Plata, I know how the housekeeping and wait staff react to tipping and/or presents, I was just wondering what was acceptable now. I always tip according to level of service, but I also know in this case, the meager wages they are paid, so with the advice of the posters and also my past experience of working there, I have a plan in motion! ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks Mike, and yes I do listen to Hillbilly, as his advice is always right on! I just exchanged a little for (like he said) pocket money to get me through the first day or so, until I can get to an exchange house.

You can tip in USD very easily, get a bunch of singles, (The ones with George on the bill) Loonies, not so sure. ALL taxi's take USD at airport, so you really do not need to arrive with RD Pesos.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Your trip sounds exciting...Our friends from Canada always bring USD currency with them, they never really change money for pesos. They use the USD outside of the resort also and have never had a problem. When we do our weekend getaways to Punta Cana I normally leave 3 dollars per day for the maid and I tip the mini-bar person upfront on the first day. I let them know what we like in the mini-bar and it is always there for us. On the last day I will normally give them something extra depending on the service we received. I always leave a tip after we finish at the buffet, the amount just depends on how many of us there were and how the service was. At the ala-cartes I always leave more than at the buffet. At the bars every couple of drinks a give them 1-2 dollars. We always stay at the same resort so the staff pretty much knows us since we go 4-5 times a year. My family that comes to visit also will stay at this resort when they go to Punta Cana so we do get good service. There have been a couple of times I have left something with the maid such as flip flops, lotion, etc...If I really do not want to drag it back with me I will ask if they would like it. One time I brought some flip flops but never used them they were new but I decided to leave them. I wrote a note explaining I was giving some of these items to the maid. They sometimes need a letter for these items so the hotel does not think they just took them from the room. I know because my family stays there alot they have become friendly with the Club Lounge staff and my mom will bring gifts to some of girls that work there. I hope you and your daughter have a great trip. Wish I was going...My next weekend getaway won't be until after the Easter Holiday..