DR & PR at night

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Which methodology? Oh yes, farmer "illuminate" their farms and hence plenty of lights to be picked up by satellite imagery?

You should compile your replies and eventually use them for a theatrical comedy (they are hilarious BTW) somewhere in Jamaica!

Please stay on the subject and answer previous questions pertaining to the island.

poor soul. farmers do not illuminate farms, they illuminate homes.

keep trying.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Having just returned from Puerto Rico, I can tell you that the place is a 24 hour party zone. Lights everywhere, usually with nobody home. Who pays for all this? Certainly not the locals, not to Island Govt., but ultimately the U.S. Taxpayers who routinely bail-out the Puerto Rican Govt. to the tune of billions of U.S. Dollars. The people have no respect for their "keeper"!
Right... and they want to be a state of the USA.............

Sep 4, 2012
poor soul. farmers do not illuminate farms, they illuminate homes.

keep trying.

I just went out to see how "illuminated" the farm was just a minute ago.....lol

See, as opposed to you, I do know how the woods looks like at night and why. I also happen to know why Santo Doming looks the way it does using satellite images at night vs PR, do you?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I just went out to see how "illuminated" the farm was just a minute ago.....lol

See, as opposed to you, I do know how the woods looks like at night and why. I also happen to know why Santo Doming looks the way it does using satellite images at night vs PR, do you?

just like you knew that a Dominican weightlifter won various Olympic medals....as oppossed to me, who did not know.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
amb.JPG

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For the love of God, you guys realize this is the Living Forum.

Take your issues here.

maybe you should address it to the guy who wants to start up with everybody. i mean, a new year just started and he wants to get into ish with everybody...even the moderator.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
maybe you should address it to the guy who wants to start up with everybody. i mean, a new year just started and he wants to get into ish with everybody...even the moderator.

It was in post#23 at 3:30 this afternoon. that you wrote to WYW "i do not find you worthy of debating. go seek your back and forth elsewhere." It is now 7:35 , post#49 and you are still arguing with him. Why do you take the bait? You're right it is a new year. It is about time you guys put each other on ignore either mentally or physically. I wish I knew where to find the yawning fox!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Officially warning BOTH wishing and gorgon, there will not be a second warning. This applies to ALL threads, not just this one. You two should not respond to one another EVER.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Actually, what could initially be seen as a negative… being less lit up than Puerto Rico… is more of a positive. We have less "light pollution."

From the Dark Skies Awareness website:
"The adverse effects of light pollution extend well beyond astronomy. New research suggests that light at night may interfere with normal circadian rhythms—the 24-hour cycle of day and night that humans have used to maintain health and regulate their activities for thousands of years. Light trespass, occurring when streetlights or a neighbor’s security light directs unwanted lighting onto our property or into our homes, contributes to a loss of natural darkness. Wildlife, too, is harmed by the unnecessary brightening of the night. From newly hatched sea turtles to migrating birds, fish, frogs, salamanders, and lightning bugs, artificial night lighting disrupts the cycles of nocturnal creatures in potentially devastating ways. While research is still ongoing, it is becoming apparent that both bright days and dark nights are necessary to maintain healthy hormone production, cell function, and brain activity, as well as normal feeding, mating, and migratory behavior for many species, including humans."

One can attempt to polish a turd, bit it remains a turd.

Do Dominican people sleep better on a hot tropical night with no electricity? I reckon not.

Aug 6, 2006
One can attempt to polish a turd, bit it remains a turd.

Do Dominican people sleep better on a hot tropical night with no electricity? I reckon not.

The average Domincan in Barahona not only does not have AC, but the house he lives in is not built for it. Typically, there is a gap between the zinc roof overhang and top of the wall.

Heat at night does not seem to be as big a problem with the fan on.

As for light, The only lights that would be noticeable from space in the Barrio Palmerito would be the street lamps and a couple of lights outside the colmados. zI imagine that the strip along the Malecon would be well lit.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Actually, what could initially be seen as a negative? being less lit up than Puerto Rico? is more of a positive. We have less "light pollution."

From the Dark Skies Awareness website:
"The adverse effects of light pollution extend well beyond astronomy. New research suggests that light at night may interfere with normal circadian rhythms?the 24-hour cycle of day and night that humans have used to maintain health and regulate their activities for thousands of years. Light trespass, occurring when streetlights or a neighbor?s security light directs unwanted lighting onto our property or into our homes, contributes to a loss of natural darkness. Wildlife, too, is harmed by the unnecessary brightening of the night. From newly hatched sea turtles to migrating birds, fish, frogs, salamanders, and lightning bugs, artificial night lighting disrupts the cycles of nocturnal creatures in potentially devastating ways. While research is still ongoing, it is becoming apparent that both bright days and dark nights are necessary to maintain healthy hormone production, cell function, and brain activity, as well as normal feeding, mating, and migratory behavior for many species, including humans."
Yes Dolores, less light pollution is good for the plants, animals, and humans; but, most of the DR's population actually lives in areas that are quite bright at night (as seen from outer space and that's with whatever % of circuits that are off every night due to power outages).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is a satellite shot of Hispaniola

jd3OGY3.jpg
Like I said before, compare the electricity map (or light pollution) with the population distribution and density, and it becomes clear that most of DR is dark because there aren't many people in most the country. The bulk is concentrated in Santo Domingo metro area and in the Cibao.

Haiti, on the other hand, is another story. Over there most of the population actually lives in the dark, so to speak. Even though much of Haiti isn't visible in the population density map below, its very clear how much more crowded that part of the island is compared to the DR. A line to demarcate the border is almost not necessary from this perspective (the same happens with maps of the tree cover of the island).

densidad_poblacion_2004.jpg

When driving through much of the DR the country seems "fuller" than the map would suggest, mostly because in rural areas many of the primary and secondary roads are lined with many homes and businesses, more so in the northern part of the country than elsewhere (in many roads in the eastern DR you can drive for kilometers with hardly a house along the way), but everywhere it seems fuller. The road network isn't very thick, so most of the country actually remains 'not seen or hidden' from the roads.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The average Domincan in Barahona not only does not have AC, but the house he lives in is not built for it. Typically, there is a gap between the zinc roof overhang and top of the wall.

Heat at night does not seem to be as big a problem with the fan on.

As for light, The only lights that would be noticeable from space in the Barrio Palmerito would be the street lamps and a couple of lights outside the colmados. zI imagine that the strip along the Malecon would be well lit.

I did not mention AC, you did. That fan does not work without electricity.