The more i visit the city & country the less like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

topek

Sep 11, 2016
Your fellow Pole.....dv8 , is the experta at resurrecting conversations like that.

I am sorry to leave now..... have a 2 hour drive in front of me

enjoy yourself...

Have a safe trip :)
Thank you for responses.

I tried to get in contact with dv8 but was not successfull.

kind regards
topek

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
OK. You like to read other opinions. Here's mine.

I think that Dominicans (and Haitians since I can't tell the difference) are very polite and helpful and kind and generous and family-oriented and care about things that are important to them personally.

They don't have a lot of trust and faith in the government (because of corruption) and in general will do things the easiest way, not necessarily the best way.

If there were more consequences for things like poor driving and littering, people wouldn't do them. I do not believe for a minute that people in the U.S., for example, don't ever litter. They do, but they might get fined. And the government or someone else (prisoners on work detail) cleans it up. In rural areas in the U.S., people dump garbage by the side of the road all the time.

Regarding being late, I have had friends who were consistently late and I had to decide how important their tardiness was to me. I decided I could overlook it. Overlooking it here isn't a problem for me. I'll still be on time and wait or not depending on how important the appointment is to ME.

I have trouble walking and carry a cane. I have had drivers stop in the middle of the street, get out of their cars, halt traffic coming both ways, and wait or help me cross. Motoconcho drivers frequently stop traffic for me to cross. I don't know where else in the world I would get this kind of help....certainly not in the cities of the U.S.

My only complaint is that my Spanish is too inadequate to carry on a conversation with most people I meet. Even four year olds find my Spanish lacking. I can get the perfunctory hellos and how are you's out and even inquire about their family and children but I can't actually find out what they're thinking or worrying about. I am still trying to learn but I'm not all that hopeful of my prognosis... :)

I have been in and out of the hospital a lot and have been very impressed with the proficiency and professionalism of the staff from housekeeping to nurses to doctors to admissions.

Want more? I love it here. I don't need a vacation or any time away. But then, I lived in the Washington DC metro area for 40 years... Anything is better than living among politicians, bureaucrats and diplomats.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
A couple of things are wrong with your premise. I don't no where you are from but whether it is Europe or North America your mind set is just that. It is not the thinking of a Domincian. What bothers you about the DR is the way of life in the DR. You can complain and think you can change minds. This is really not possible. Those who are ex-pats and have come to the DR to live must adjust their thinking or they will not last. You either need to do this or I would suggest your frustration will only grow. There is a long learning curve in the DR. If you think you are going to visit and change peoples habits you are sorely mistaken. Accept life here as it is or go to Miami Beach.

LTSteve, it appears to me that you didn't read what the OP wrote. If you actually read it you would see he states several times that he is from Poland.
He is making observations (which are pretty accurate) not trying to "change" people. I have lived here 11 years now and yes I am never surprised when someone is 1 hour or more late, in fact I expect it. Seeing people throw trash on the street, at the beach etc still infuriates me. I take the good with the bad and for me the positives out weigh the negatives but I think the poster is on target for the most part.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a wide difference between what an occasional tourist experiences, especially in a tourist area, and what a full-time resident experiences.

I agree with what judypdr states.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
......the OP is right about some of the complaints.....and to try to change people is hopeless....I would recommend a change of Islands... maybe Hawaii...and to compare the DR to Africa is a laugh, I have been to Africa, no comparison... you would last less than one day in Nigeria...sorry to be harsh but is the truth.........

topek

Sep 11, 2016
......the OP is right about some of the complaints.....and to try to change people is hopeless....
I never wrote, i want change them.
I'm just negatively surprised and state my disappointment

.and to compare the DR to Africa is a laugh, I have been to Africa, no comparison... you would last less than one day in Nigeria...sorry to be harsh but is the truth.........
Oh my god.
I never compared DR with Africa. Never been there (ok in Marocco one day).
Just saying what my friend told me as other examples where the "state of mind" is different.

Please read with understanding :-(

kind regards
topek

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But i really cannot understand how the people feel good living within the trash?
Is it not more nice to live in a clean environment?
This is out of my understanding. How you can want to live like that?

Why you don't respect appointments and don't even call when you don't arrive?

You don't need money for above mentioned things. It's just your attitude. It's for free.

None of your original post is incorrect. I agree with all of them. I have been here 14 years. The only thing that might get better is that you understand these things happen and you learn to ignore them. If you cannot look the other way on the garbage, or adjust to the lack of appointments kept, then you will not be able to survive.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
......the OP is right about some of the complaints.....and to try to change people is hopeless....I would recommend a change of Islands... maybe Hawaii...and to compare the DR to Africa is a laugh, I have been to Africa, no comparison... you would last less than one day in Nigeria...sorry to be harsh but is the truth.........

Africa is a Large continent, Nigeria might not be representative for the continent. There are African cities that are very modern. I understand our polish friend with his observations and he is right exept the fact that once you live here in a Village and get to know the language and start to relax, you will find out that there are people you can trust and have good personalities. I get a Bucket of fish for free sometimes. The butcher will bring me my carne molida at home and pay him later.
I prefer the island to the sarcastic, negative north europeans ( I don't mean the autor of this topic!!!) in a hurry. What I do like are the skills, efficiency etc ( I have a german mecanic here to deal with my LR)over there.

Another thing I don't like here is that patriotism. Always that bloody flag and orgullo dominicano based on what achievements?

Last edited:

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
After your first trip did someone hold a gun to your head and make you return ?

topek

Sep 11, 2016
OK. You like to read other opinions. Here's mine.
Thank you :)

I think that Dominicans (and Haitians since I can't tell the difference) are very polite
Hmm, depends how you define "polite" but ok. THere were no rude.
Is not following agreements "polite"?

and helpful
In my experience they're not.
This is my biggest disappointment.
Nobody really thinks about you, doing a favor is a big deal. They're passive. This is my observation.

and kind and generous and family-oriented and care about things that are important to them personally.
Then we have different understanding of "family-oriented" acting.
That someone care about things which are important to him personally is nothing extraordinary :)

They don't have a lot of trust and faith in the government (because of corruption) and in general will do things the easiest way, not necessarily the best way.
In my opinion the political class is the mirror of society/nation who are they representing.
So are the politicians as the people in every country.
But the politicians have more possibilities (to steal millions and not few dollars)

If there were more consequences for things like poor driving and littering, people wouldn't do them. I do not believe for a minute that people in the U.S., for example, don't ever litter. They do, but they might get fined.
For sure there are many people behave correctly because of fines.
Imagine, i would not litter even if i would get money for that. I don't like live in dirty environment.

And the government or someone else (prisoners on work detail) cleans it up. In rural areas in the U.S., people dump garbage by the side of the road all the time.
Yes, thats true. USA is in average more dirty than central europe (where i live).
Even in Manhattan you can find a lot of garbagge on the streets.
But to be fair, Sicily in south Italy looks like Santo Domingo.

Regarding being late, I have had friends who were consistently late and I had to decide how important their tardiness was to me. I decided I could overlook it. Overlooking it here isn't a problem for me. I'll still be on time and wait or not depending on how important the appointment is to ME.
And you really don't have a problem that people don't respect you?
It is hitting my values and makes my angry. Respect time of other people.

I have trouble walking and carry a cane. I have had drivers stop in the middle of the street, get out of their cars, halt traffic coming both ways, and wait or help me cross. Motoconcho drivers frequently stop traffic for me to cross. I don't know where else in the world I would get this kind of help....certainly not in the cities of the U.S.
Never saw such situation in Santo Domingo. Good for you! :)
In most places in EU that would also happen.
Come to Norway. They will stop their cars even if you are far away from zebra.

My only complaint is that my Spanish is too inadequate to carry on a conversation with most people I meet. Even four year olds find my Spanish lacking. I can get the perfunctory hellos and how are you's out and even inquire about their family and children but I can't actually find out what they're thinking or worrying about. I am still trying to learn but I'm not all that hopeful of my prognosis... :)
This is your fault :)
I came to DR to learn spanish. My 4th language :)
Its enough for small talk right now.

I have been in and out of the hospital a lot and have been very impressed with the proficiency and professionalism of the staff from housekeeping to nurses to doctors to admissions.
Is it a standard hospital for dominicans or some private super-duper?

Want more? I love it here. I don't need a vacation or any time away. But then, I lived in the Washington DC metro area for 40 years... Anything is better than living among politicians, bureaucrats and diplomats.
i'm happy for you, that you found your place.
Really. I'M not joking.
The most important thing is to be happy.

best regards
topek

topek

Sep 11, 2016
After your first trip did someone hold a gun to your head and make you return ?

Thanks god not any experience like that.
I just observe how is it going and know, it could be better.
Even without money (like littering) and wondering, how the people accomadate to that and feel good.

kind regards
topek

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Topek, there is an art of living over here. It's like sit back and relax ...observe the mecanics, doing there job with a small machete. The motoconcho transporting and old huge tv AND a huge woman on the back. Like my brother said the other day, were in the world can you drive with a beer in your hand?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I will only reply to one thing...yes, it is my fault for not being able to speak better Spanish but I have tried and tried for six years. I've taken individual classes, group classes, gone to coffee with groups of Dominicans and expats to practice... I am still taking an hour lesson once a week. I can read very well and write reasonably well and speak in simple sentences in present, past, future, etc. But I cannot follow Dominicans in their own conversations or participate in them. Maybe I'm too old to learn (66/67) or maybe I just can't speak any foreign language. Occasionally, I'll even dream in Spanish or French (which I took in college years ago) but rapid conversation is still beyond me. I'm not stupid. I can play piano and my English is first-rate. But conversational Spanish beyond rudimentary is just beyond me. Maybe I'll get better eventually. I'm certainly better now than six years ago, but I'd like to be able to talk politics or other issues, not just inquire about their day.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Oh, one more response ... my hospital experiences have been mostly private, except for Plaza Salud in Santo Domingo (not sure if that's public or private). My transfusions are at Bournigal (Centro Medico) here in Puerto Plata. Very clean and civilized...not quite US standards but close.

Anyway, to each his own. If you enjoy it, come here. If you don't, go somewhere else :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks god not any experience like that.
I just observe how is it going and know, it could be better.
Even without money (like littering) and wondering, how the people accomadate to that and feel good.

kind regards
topek

I asked the same thing about the litter for a few years and then stopped asking. Then I visited where I grew up in way upstate NY, and saw that people from another island near the DR, already US citizens, who moved there act in exactly the same way regarding garbage. They have really crapped up my home town.

But ,if they have even a tiny stain on their clothing, they will not be seen in public. These are things that a just part of the "culture" which should better be called a style.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
@ Judy..you are like a friend of mine, a Dutch painter. Was studying Spanish for his vacation over here, years ago, untill  I saw his books, an italian course! Still says gato to a perro, some just don't get it under their belt. The fact that americans are hardly exposed to foreign languages as a child (depending where you live of course) might not be a great help either.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
@ Judy..you are like a friend of mine, a Dutch painter. Was studying Spanish for his vacation over here, years ago, untill  I saw his books, an italian course! Still says gato to a perro, some just don't get it under their belt. The fact that americans are hardly exposed to foreign languages as a child (depending where you live of course) might not be a great help either.

Topek is from Poland.

By the way Topek, my last name is the Polish word for war with an "R" added to it at the end. My four grandparents moved to the USA during world war 1. If they were still alive, they would be appalled by the garbage here in the DR and now also in their adopted city in the US.

Last edited:

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
LTSteve, it appears to me that you didn't read what the OP wrote. If you actually read it you would see he states several times that he is from Poland.
He is making observations (which are pretty accurate) not trying to "change" people. I have lived here 11 years now and yes I am never surprised when someone is 1 hour or more late, in fact I expect it. Seeing people throw trash on the street, at the beach etc still infuriates me. I take the good with the bad and for me the positives out weigh the negatives but I think the poster is on target for the most part.

Exactly!   He is sharing HIS observations, not trying to start an argument with anyone. So please, be nice.  

I agree with most of his observations, and agree that many of these traits seem to be "ingrained" in the culture and will take a real effort to change.  Good to hear that they are starting "anti-littering" education in the schools. Hopefully we will see some improvement over the next 10-20 years as that education pays off. In the meantime, I will continue to deposit my trash in the proper receptacles (even if it takes a while to come across one!) 

Good luck with your language training here Topek. And please keep sharing with us here. Your posts have been informative, well-written, and your tone has remained respectful (even in the face of some "blunt" replies). 

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Topek is from Poland.

By the way Topek, my last name is the Polish word for war with an "R" added to it at the end. My four grandparents moved to the USA during world war 1.

Sorry Windeguy but I was adressing to Judy, american I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.