No more smoking on the beach

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I’ve browsed the usual sources and can’t locate any definitive peer reviewed scientific studies that indicate nicotine from cigarette debris is damaging to reefs over the long term. I suspect the DR government is using this reason to achieve a smoke free beach environment because it’s an easy sell to the DR population and tourists. It’s a distraction from the bigger environmental issues and enforcement will be lax, especially towards tourists. On the Playa Dorada beaches, Québécois, Eastern Europeans, Germans, Russians etc. will be the largest tourist group impacted by the law if it is enforced. They appear to be the hard core smokers. I’ve noticed that the beaches in the vicinity of the resorts in the Playa Dorada area are raked and cleaned on a almost daily basis. I highly doubt there is a nicotine residue deposition problem into the marine environment in that area.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
People seem unable to leave others alone. Cigarettes the world over are a legally sold product that heavily subsidized government and many businesses where tobacco products are sold. Smokers drink milk sure but purchase far more cigarettes than milk from the corner store (at home).

As with many polarizing issues, there is an unwillingness on the part of both sides to compromise. If the DR wants to "save the reefs and people from themselves" then they should outright ban the sale and export of tobacco products.

Those who do not wish to encounter smokers need to choose places where there are no smokers and smokers need to accept that in some places, it may not be appropriate to light up as nonsmokers do not have the choice to go elsewhere - airplanes, movie theaters, public transport, church etc.

Outdoors, and even indoors with ventilation equipment that exchanges the air every 5 minutes or so it's just a question of space between the opposing camps. Businesses can organize themselves to cater to both groups or choose to cater exclusively to one group or the other.

As long as the products remain available, legal and abundant in this country, one side does not have the "right" to expect their side of the issue to take precedence over the other side. That's already happened all over North America and parts of Europe, nonsmokers are can go live there and let us smokers hopscotch across the globe in search of the grim reaper to our hearts content.

Someone is pulling the government strings over this issue and its sudden arrival here in the DR where there are literally thousands of more pressing social issues to tackle first, makes this effort and the reasons for it more than suspect. However, it is a great opportunity stir the pot of public opinion and take the focus away from more meaningful and substantive issues that cry for redress in this country.

Home is starting to look pretty good these days. The DR can have their reefs and soon I'll be able to have my reefer and my cigarettes provided I put up signage designating my home as a toxic environment for all living things - should keep the door to door scammers and govt functionaries wanting to inspect my smoke detector batteries away from my doorbell...

The stated reasoning behind this new law, is so stupid and clearly addressable by other methods, it just boggles the mind.

When will govt. learn that prohibition of any kind does not work? When will the goodie-two shoes butt out of my business? Who says your life is more important than mine, other than you?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
People seem unable to leave others alone. Cigarettes the world over are a legally sold product that heavily subsidized government and many businesses where tobacco products are sold. Smokers drink milk sure but purchase far more cigarettes than milk from the corner store (at home).

As with many polarizing issues, there is an unwillingness on the part of both sides to compromise. If the DR wants to "save the reefs and people from themselves" then they should outright ban the sale and export of tobacco products.

Those who do not wish to encounter smokers need to choose places where there are no smokers and smokers need to accept that in some places, it may not be appropriate to light up as nonsmokers do not have the choice to go elsewhere - airplanes, movie theaters, public transport, church etc.

Outdoors, and even indoors with ventilation equipment that exchanges the air every 5 minutes or so it's just a question of space between the opposing camps. Businesses can organize themselves to cater to both groups or choose to cater exclusively to one group or the other.

As long as the products remain available, legal and abundant in this country, one side does not have the "right" to expect their side of the issue to take precedence over the other side. That's already happened all over North America and parts of Europe, nonsmokers are can go live there and let us smokers hopscotch across the globe in search of the grim reaper to our hearts content.

Someone is pulling the government strings over this issue and its sudden arrival here in the DR where there are literally thousands of more pressing social issues to tackle first, makes this effort and the reasons for it more than suspect. However, it is a great opportunity stir the pot of public opinion and take the focus away from more meaningful and substantive issues that cry for redress in this country.

Home is starting to look pretty good these days. The DR can have their reefs and soon I'll be able to have my reefer and my cigarettes provided I put up signage designating my home as a toxic environment for all living things - should keep the door to door scammers and govt functionaries wanting to inspect my smoke detector batteries away from my doorbell...

The stated reasoning behind this new law, is so stupid and clearly addressable by other methods, it just boggles the mind.

When will govt. learn that prohibition of any kind does not work? When will the goodie-two shoes butt out of my business? Who says your life is more important than mine, other than you?

The far simpler solution is to ban all smoking in public places. You aren't prohibited from smoking when you are home. I agree that prohibition never works when it comes to stopping people from smoking, but they certainly can be stopped from smoking in areas where that smoke has an effect on others.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I’ve browsed the usual sources and can’t locate any definitive peer reviewed scientific studies that indicate nicotine from cigarette debris is damaging to reefs over the long term. I suspect the DR government is using this reason to achieve a smoke free beach environment because it’s an easy sell to the DR population and tourists. It’s a distraction from the bigger environmental issues and enforcement will be lax, especially towards tourists. On the Playa Dorada beaches, Québécois, Eastern Europeans, Germans, Russians etc. will be the largest tourist group impacted by the law if it is enforced. They appear to be the hard core smokers. I’ve noticed that the beaches in the vicinity of the resorts in the Playa Dorada area are raked and cleaned on a almost daily basis. I highly doubt there is a nicotine residue deposition problem into the marine environment in that area.

http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/20/Suppl_1/i1

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Exceptional news release of the day. The Ministry of Salud, in conjunction with Cestur, the Policia Nacional and Amet plan to dispense Nicotine Transdermal Systems ("the patch") to all those expatriates and vacationers who wish to enjoy the RD beaches. Each kit will consist of a 30 day supply of patches, which can be extended at the same time the individual renews his 30 day tourist card. In a corresponding move, 30 day tourist card prices are now increased from $10 to $25. Happy New Year to all.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Well there you go. I was looking for evidence to support the scientific claims not whether the ban was was actually true. LOL.

:classic:
mob

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Thanks CB. All the research in this article is no surprise to me. I relied on Lc/Ld 50 tests to determine the toxicity of spilled chemicals before I charged a polluter and proceeded to court. Yes, the toxic chemicals produced by burning tobacco kills aquatic organisms as it kills humans. That’s the result you would expect in a lab test.  Given the oceans ability to assimilate and dilute the crap we put into it today, I still doubt the veracity of the impact from cigarette debris on beaches whether it is in the Canary Islands or the DR. Open shorelines are continually flushed by waves, currents and tides. There might be an effect on small pocket beaches with little flushing capability but that would be localized and a short lived phenomena. Persistent plastics, untreated sewage, uncontrolled development, sediment deposition from construction sites, and beach material removal are the main coastline problems in the DR. 

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
I like to smoke cigars on any beach i go to,now if they enforce it nation wide,i will just smoke in my home.Many restrauntes in Jarabacoa,dont let you light up anymore.so the home or my favorite cigar lounge in santiago,is it.Times are changing.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
When I was a boy we had new neighbors move in. They were "city people". When their baby was born they put up a sign on the front door. no smoking. newborn in house. Nobody ever heard of such a crazy thing. no smoking just because there is a baby in the house.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Canadians that smoke? 15.7%

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-s-smoking-rate-falls-slightly-1.4036492

Americans that smoke 15.1%

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm

As for the Dominican Republic: According to the most recent information online (2011) An OMS (WHO-World Health Organization) report indicated that among adults the % of people who consume cigarettes stood at:

17% Men

13% Woman

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-smoke-cigarettes-in-the-Dominican-Republic-2015—present
http://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/policy/country_profile/dom.pdf

Not that much difference between Canadian, American, and Dominican smoking rates.

I ran a restaurant for 7 months in the DR and most of my customers were Canadians and Americans, I had just quit smoking at the time so I noticed that in the time I was there there was one Dominican who smoked in my presence.
Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I ran a restaurant for 7 months in the DR and most of my customers were Canadians and Americans, I had just quit smoking at the time so I noticed that in the time I was there there was one Dominican who smoked in my presence.
Der Fish

yes, those 17% must be from a part of the country which i am yet to visit. 17% is almost on in five. i know, or have met, hundred of Dominicans, and i can count the smokers on one hand.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
yes, those 17% must be from a part of the country which i am yet to visit. 17% is almost on in five. i know, or have met, hundred of Dominicans, and i can count the smokers on one hand.

I think this would effect European and Canadian tourists more. It will be interesting to see if signs are posted on the beaches .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think this would effect European and Canadian tourists more. It will be interesting to see if signs are posted on the beaches .

of course, LTSteve. far less Americans smoke than European nationals, and guys from Quebec,,