240,000 Dominicans leave poverty levels every year?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
End result is even worse in places like Flint. Bottled drinking water is inexpensive in the DR. It is very expensive in the USA.

5 Gallons in the US at a Glacier refill station isn't much ($1.00) and the water is very good

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sad portion it was also missed by the backyard water ops ran in the barrios I've visited in the east.
You have reported your local illegal operations for unsanitary conditions, correct?

Fact is, contrary to your challenge, there was a nation-wide inspection of water producers and some were shut down.

Your lack of awareness does not mean others are equally unaware.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
You have reported your local illegal operations for unsanitary conditions, correct?

Fact is, contrary to your challenge, there was a nation-wide inspection of water producers and some were shut down.

Your lack of awareness does not mean others are equally unaware.

What am I, a water vigilante of some sort?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What am I, a water vigilante of some sort?
I have no idea what you are.

But as the saying goes: "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

If you find Dominican society as abysmal as your few noob posts indicate, why aren't you doing anything about it? Why are you here? Why do you visit?

Or are the constant criticisms, complaints and degradations of All Things Dominican just your personality? Maybe you're just a negative person needing an outlet.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I have no idea what you are.

But as the saying goes: "If you aren't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

If you find Dominican society as abysmal as your few noob posts indicate, why aren't you doing anything about it? Why are you here? Why do you visit?

Or are the constant criticisms, complaints and degradations of All Things Dominican just your personality? Maybe you're just a negative person needing an outlet.

No Sir.

Every one of my posting have been nothing but a mirror of Dominican media articles as viewed by Dominicans journalist.

Take your complaints up to them.

Why do I visit?

Perhaps because the same reasons you do.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
"The Ministry of Economy, Planning and Development (Mepyd) said on Monday, in response to certain questions to the presidential speech on February 27, that official statistics and international organizations prove that in the last five years in the country have left poverty 240 thousand people per year.

This is explained by the drop of 14.2 percentage points in the monetary poverty rate that went from 39.7% in 2012 to 25.5% in 2017, context in which the number of people in monetary poverty decreased from 3.8 million in 2012 to 2.6 million in 2017."

The article is found on the link below:

http://almomento.net/gobierno-revela-240-mil-dominicanos-dejan-la-pobreza-cada-ano/

I would like to meet some of the 240,000 Dominicans saved from poverty every year?

You did mention that "The Ministry of Economy, Planning and Development (Mepyd) said on Monday,
They are known for their unbiased reports and research.
Pichardo will corroborate these facts.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JasonD

You seem to either have a very low opinion of the DR or as evidenced by your join date are very new or have been lurking for a while.
I have been here since 1989 as have a few others or they have been here longer. I don't know what part of the the DR you live in but I'm hoping its not in Ciudad Nueva Santo Domingo. Over the years this country has grown a lot. I remember when the autopista to Santiago was a 2 lane. No elevados in the Capital. road to SDQ was a 2 lane. Was an all day trip from SD to Samana. There really was no Punta Cana resort area.
No the DR is not preparing for war, but they are beefing up border patrol.
I remember gas rationing and sugar rationing, gasoline was 32 pesos a gallon, exchange rate was 6rd to $1. Platino was a peso. Would believe that hillbilly would know of when the exchange rate was 1 to 1. Electricity averaged around 6 hours a day in the citys. Hotels like the jaragua, Plaza Naco, Santo Domingo Hotel, ran their generators almost 24 hours a day.
We used to only have Plaza Central for a shopping center. now there is blue mall, acropolis, sambil, downtown center, agora Ikea and others.
no metro, no OMSA. just big red painted school busses that had died in the US, an the everpresent guaga and conchos.
Practically speaking no middle class.and an illiterate rate of around 70%.
So yes over the years there has been a huge improvement all over the country.

Can it improve, should it improve, is it improving answer to all is yes.

'

Thank you. As someone who has also lived here for decades, I can tell you it has grown in leaps and bounds.

One only has to look at all of the towers that have popped up in Santo Domingo and Santiago. In San Cristobal middle class targeted residential projects are being built all over the place. (I can name 10 off the top of my head)

At least three of them are sold out and haven't even been finished yet.

For people who have not lived here for a substantial amount of time, you can't see the difference.

To me, it is like night and day.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thank you. As someone who has also lived here for decades, I can tell you it has grown in leaps and bounds.

One only has to look at all of the towers that have popped up in Santo Domingo and Santiago. In San Cristobal middle class targeted residential projects are being built all over the place. (I can name 10 off the top of my head)

For people who have not lived here for a substantial amount of time, you can't see the difference.

To me, it is like night and day.
From a 14 year perspective, I see YUGE positive changes!

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Towers and more towers, is this how development is measured?

How many motoconchos, criadas, and even university graduates are actually buying and living in those towers?

Truth of the matter is that construction is the easiest and more prominet way to wash dirty money and no wonder why all these towers are just popping!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Towers and more towers, is this how development is measured?

How many motoconchos, criadas, and even university graduates are actually buying and living in those towers?

Truth of the matter is that construction is the easiest and more prominet way to wash dirty money and no wonder why all these towers are just popping!

Oh there is plenty of money getting washed, but regardless of that the country on the whole is better off than 20 years ago.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Oh there is plenty of money getting washed, but regardless of that the country on the whole is better off than 20 years ago.

One cannot seriously expect development in a country where money and richness would not change hands Mr. Bob, in this country, it does not; ever.

Same families, same circle of people with of course, some pretenders but money is stagnant in the same hands.

Those promoting otherwise are either part of the closed loop or pretenders at the very lower end of the stick. We have one of those right here in DR1, he knows it too......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
One cannot seriously expect development in a country where money and richness would not change hands Mr. Bob, in this country, it does not; ever.

Same families, same circle of people with of course, some pretenders but money is stagnant in the same hands.

Those promoting otherwise are either part of the closed loop or pretenders at the very lower end of the stick. We have one of those right here in DR1, he knows it too......

i know what you are putting forward...at least i think i know. correct me if i am wrong, but i think that one of the thrusts of your argument is that we have seen economic growth, as opposed to economic development. there are outward trappings of modernity, such as skyscrapers and Maseratis, but the underlying social underpinnings have not moved in decades. there is still an education deficit, which affects the same stratum of people it did in 1950. the same people who owned all the property and capital in 1950 still own it today, and their maids and gardeners are the descendants of the maids and gardeners of grandpa...zero social mobility..

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
i know what you are putting forward...at least i think i know. correct me if i am wrong, but i think that one of the thrusts of your argument is that we have seen economic growth, as opposed to economic development. there are outward trappings of modernity, such as skyscrapers and Maseratis, but the underlying social underpinnings have not moved in decades. there is still an education deficit, which affects the same stratum of people it did in 1950. the same people who owned all the property and capital in 1950 still own it today, and their maids and gardeners are the descendants of the maids and gardeners of grandpa...zero social mobility..

I didn't think there was ever a need to treat folks as kindergarten students but now I know better; either that or some here know how to fake stupidity or at the least twist the obvious facts for personal gain.

In either instance, Sir what you've wrote described to the "T" the situation this country has been embarked in for centuries now.

You do get it, are you an Economist by any chance?

There was that Cobraboy poster self-appointing himself as one but was so off the mark that I seriously doubt he was?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I didn't think there was ever a need to treat folks as kindergarten students but now I know better; either that or some here know how to fake stupidity or at the least twist the obvious facts for personal gain.

In either instance, Sir what you've wrote described to the "T" the situation this country has been embarked in for centuries now.

You do get it, are you an Economist by any chance?

There was that Cobraboy poster self-appointing himself as one but was so off the mark that I seriously doubt he was?

i would not go as far as to say that i am an economist, but i have dedicated a lot of time to studying the matter.

for many years, there have been postings in this site about the increase in GDP in the Dominican Republic, and the ostensibly sound macroeconomic underpinnings. people take economic growth to be an indicator of well being, but economic growth does not equate to economic development. growth only expresses aggregate end user purchase, and has nothing to do with things like education, infant mortality, food insecurity, poverty levels, or any other human metric. besides, the whole notion of measuring an economy by GDP is outdated. it was devised in 1937 by a guy named Kuznets, and refined as time went on. however, it is no longer a satisfactory measurement, because of changes in paradigms. when it was invented, manufacturing was 30% of the British economy. today it is 9%. i would say its applicability has been reduced.