How do you see a gringo?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Was it because I'm a gringa, or just a pendeja?

Judge for yourself.

first of all that guy puncture your tire so he could make some money fixing it.

and yes you should have reminded that guy who "washed" your car that in the first place you told him not to do it and walked away.
I think they did that to you 'cause your a female or maybe a gringa.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
first of all that guy puncture your tire so he could make some money fixing it.
I doubt it, but the main point of presenting that example as a contrast was the fact that he didn't act as if he was expecting to be paid.

and yes you should have reminded that guy who "washed" your car that in the first place you told him not to do it and walked away.
I think they did that to you 'cause your a female or maybe a gringa.
I agree, but I would have felt guilty about it all the same.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to tip or not to tip and more

coming from poland (no tipping) and having lived in london (12% tip added to most of bills) i'm in two minds about it. i don't care if i am considered cheap or not and generally i tip if the service is satisfactory. if not, i live nothing, just because i'm white does not mean i have lots of $$$ to splash around.

we must be fatcists, all of us because i also hate those big chics with skin peeling off like on a leper, sweating like a pig with food falling off her overfilled plate, her skinny tatooed boyfriend sucking on presidente...
but those are tourists. gringos here? i hate all people who come here to live, never bother to learn a word of spanish, with their AC always on. why retire to a country you hate? if you want hot go and live in the south of the states!

clothes? sorry about that but it's damn hot! i wear skirts and shorts on a daily basis, just this makes me look like a 100% gringa. don't understand dominican girls wearing jeans all the time! and so tight too! what an opportunity for chlamydia! ;) you have to be here for years to wear long trousers during the day and not die from overheating.

dominicans? sometimes i think if i hear one more pssst the next pssster will have his balls torn out...

i know i am gringa, but let me live, por favor. i came to this country to be with a dominican man (not a sankie!), i do my best to blend in, i learn spanish, i know how to cook rice and beans, i go to church (sometimes), i respect this culture. i wish dominicans would give me a break, let THEM go to poland and see how they do there!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I doubt it, but the main point of presenting that example as a contrast was the fact that he didn't act as if he was expecting to be paid.

I agree, but I would have felt guilty about it all the same.

when I was in the DR in August we went on a Zona Colonial tour and a guide found us and offered to take us around the zone. He talked really fast and kept telling us we were in no obligation to pay him but if we enjoyed the tour we could tip him. He was sooo good at what he did that we gladly tipped him. but yes many do that in hopes that they would be tipped for their help, like u said it makes people feel guilty if they don't tip after this person so nicely offered to help you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
when I was in the DR in August we went on a Zona Colonial tour and a guide found us and offered to take us around the zone. He talked really fast and kept telling us we were in no obligation to pay him but if we enjoyed the tour we could tip him. He was sooo good at what he did that we gladly tipped him. but yes many do that in hopes that they would be tipped for their help, like u said it makes people feel guilty if they don't tip after this person so nicely offered to help you.
That happened to us with the 'guide' at Puerto Plata cable-car a couple of years ago. He assured us he didn't want a tip, but at the end of the visit he turned nasty because what we did offer him, IIRC RD$100, was not what he considered adequate.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chiri - you make me blush!
this thread was supposed to be light but i think we do not dominican-gringos relations all that lightly. they consider us stupid and overweight money machines and we complain they want to rip us off.
i took my friend from bogota to poland, he was constantly close to being overcharged, only because i would bucket out a stream of polish insults in his defence we could go by paying polish prices. touris=idiot is pretty much common attitude everywhere in the world.
mind you in europe i'm a no beauty at 9.5 stones and my cerdito legs, this thin fashion is leaving my size 10 (uk, 38 europe, no idea what size in usa) bod faaaaaar behind, speaking of which - my round bottom gets lots of compliments here whereas in europe, well.... guys will point out that i am in a need of a gym! plus my whiteness seems to be additional attraction, in europe i'd have to fake-bake myself to go out in the summer!

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Pigs

Thought I'd chime in on this one as there?s one thing about Gringos here that bothers me more than anything.

It's that balding, pudgy, 50+ guy in the bar with his Dominican 'girlfriend'. Dude who do you think you?re fooling? We all know that you are paying for sex whether it?s in the form of support or cash money after the act.

I understand that the sex trade is one of the biggest money producers in this country, but let?s not hide what it is under cute words like ?my chica? or ?my girlfirend?. Call it what it is ?this is the girl that I?m paying to have sex with me because I?m a pig and it?s impossible for me to have a mature relationship with someone my own age?.

There?s a lot of talk about the ?ugly? Gringo, they don?t learn the language, they don?t pay their workers a living wage, they?re targets for thieves? How about they steal a part of these girls? innocence and don?t give a damn as long as they?re getting their rocks off?

Jack

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
One of the reasons that I love living in a small town is that all the people who perform services for me for which they should be tipped, are people I know and have known for years. They know they will be tipped so it is never an issue; more an afterthought after the conversation about the family, what's going on in town etc. At the Supermarket the same young man always carries my bags; at the gas station the same attendant always fills my car etc etc. If Alex at the Supermarket has a day off.........well, initially there was a bit of a scramble among the lads to take my bags ;) but now they seem to have worked out a system among themselves, so I get the same substitute on Alex's days off.

Over time, you get known. I don't get 'psst'd' very often any more, probably because I drive, most likely because I'm 63! Or maybe I do and I just don't hear the pssters any more. Occasionally an optimistic concho driver 'doesn't notice' I've just stepped out of a vehicle and will psst.........:rolleyes: so I show him the car key and ask him if he knows what it is.

I don't come across tourists much, other than the ones we already know. Usually, around town, I'll get asked by a local to translate if a tourist is having a problem making himself understood. The dim ones I avoid; you can often tell from a distance of 200 yards.

As for gringos who live here..............I am highly selective. I know many find me aloof; I'm not remotely aloof but happy to give that impression to some. I have very few gringo friends and prefer to keep it that way. Been through all the being asked for help, advice and rescuing........when they ignore the advice and get themselves into a heap of bother, well I'll walk away now. You just know that an inability to learn does not bode well for adjustment to living here. I'm now fairly certain that I can spot a 'good' gringo after 10 mins contact. Grahame always smiles when I make an excuse to absent myself after 10 mins..................;)

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Eaxctly what I mean

It botheres me when I see gringos that are here for years and still look or act like tourists here for the first time. Some people have made no effort to adapt to their surroundings. They wear shorts or T-shirts out to restaurants, refuse to learn to speak Spanish, etc. It bothers me because I live here and as a gringo, I feel it reflects negatively on me.

There is a big "gringo stigma" in this country. In some of the touristy areas, it is strong and gringos are a "mark" for everyone. They are overcharged for everything, robbed, etc. Here, in SD, is is not nearly that bad, however, if the three gringos that visited a restaurant before me were poorly dressed, spoke little Spanish and heavily overtipped, the restaurant staff thinks all gringos are morons with money falling out of their pockets and I am treated accordingly.

Too many of us come down here with some money and our American values and think everyone we encounter will have to adapt to us. Well, they wont. The more of an effort we make to adapt to our new culture, the easier our lives are here. Unfortunately, too many foreigners dont care or dont want to hear it.

Last week, I took a girl (Dominican) out for lunch in the colonial zone and afterwards we walked to the cathedral in Parque Colon and as we approached the cathedral, I told her some of it's history, what date it was constructed, etc. I knew these things because I have been in the cathedral a million times. Later we walked to Parque Independencia and I took her to see the shrine of Duarte, Mella and Sanchez which she didn't even know was there. She was shocked that an American would know any of the history of this country.

I am just rambling and haven't had a cup of coffee yet but there are some points in there :).

Larry

Larry,

Obviously, this Dominicana was impressed with you and you made that transgression from a gringo tourist to a resident (ex-pat) that has learned about this country.

During conversations with other Dominicans they love to gather around and listen to me tell them their history. The older Dominicans are very impressed with me and the younger ones are baffled because... I knew things they didn't even know. In return I listen to them as they embraced me into their culture and I continue to learn about this vast history.

Sep 19, 2005
Thought I'd chime in on this one as there?s one thing about Gringos here that bothers me more than anything.

It's that balding, pudgy, 50+ guy in the bar with his Dominican 'girlfriend'. ....
about they steal a part of these girls? innocence and don?t give a damn as long as they?re getting their rocks off?
Jack

you can have what ever pet peave you want..for what ever reason.....BUT.....balding, pudgy, 50+ year old gringos lusting to get their rocks off.................

dont find INNOCENT girls......

I guess you have never shopped in a store owned by and over weight balding 50+year old dominican man who employs 100% young nice looking girls between 16 and 20 years old........no that probably never happens huh?

but there is no crime living in ones own little world someplace

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
white and proud

aaach, i remember now! moto concho drivers whistleing and stopping next to me offering their services. come ON, do they do it to dominican girls? nunca. and besides, have you ever even SEEN a gringa on a moto concho? do they think i will let myself be taken for a ride, not the one where I ride but the one i AM ridden by a moto concho driver?!
i may be white but now i am PUERTOPLATE?A and nobody, i say nodody will treat me like a tourist, comprende?
amen!
jackieboo, you are right about those fat (again!?) blokes with their dominican girls, but remember it is not only those who pay who are to be blamed. what about dominican girls living off their 'amigos'? they are not THAT innocent! i know that demand creates a supply but there seems to be a demand for fat idiots with cash too!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Got to stand your ground

Was it because I'm a gringa, or just a pendeja?

Judge for yourself.

Earlier this year some childhood friends came down to visit me. This was their first time and will probably be their last time. They were too used to Disney World and 5 star resorts and well, the Dominican Republic is not for them.

Anyway, I got completely burned out protecting them all week as locals constantly tried to rip them off everywhere they went. In comes yours truly and in a firm but polite manner I let the vendor, waiter, waitress, whomever know that I lived here, these people were my guests and this is what they were going to pay. The local was p*ssed off usually but they couldn't win with me. One vendor actually did us all a favor at a beach. After being torn apart by myself with my rather sharp local dialect he told everyone to stay away from the (translated into English) "Mocano with the fresh mouth". Man I giggled when I heard that. I heard one of the other vendors telling him that he asked for it as he knew that I was trying to be polite but obviously was no fool. This vendor ended up making a good deal as I allowed him to service my friends who were more then happy to spend. My friends asked me what just happened. I just replied..... this is what you call fitting in with this beautiful culture.

My Dominican friends and family do not rush to protect me as I do very well on my own. Sometimes, I will tell them that they are tipping too much. I do this right in front of the service person as they look with their mouth wide open. My friends get a laugh at the way I handle myself, polite but firm until I am driven too far, then the fresh Dominicano in me comes out and I let them have it and as all Dominicans know...rightfully so.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
you can have what ever pet peave you want..for what ever reason.....BUT.....balding, pudgy, 50+ year old gringos lusting to get their rocks off.................

dont find INNOCENT girls......

I guess you have never shopped in a store owned by and over weight balding 50+year old dominican man who employs 100% young nice looking girls between 16 and 20 years old........no that probably never happens huh?

but there is no crime living in ones own little world someplace

bob

Bob, you're so right, the pigs don't find innocent girls because some other pig found them first. As far as a shop owner hiring young nice looking girls, does that mean the shop owner is shagging all of them? What's your point on this one? He hires the girls and ...... ?

My point is being overlooked. The point is that these pigs are disgusting and embarrising for other Gringo's. You want to shag a girl the age of your granddaughter that's your business, just know that everyone around you knows what you are...... pathetic.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
It's OK

Yes, I intended this thread to be "light". However, I understand frustrations over being a gringo in a foreign culture. Sure, there is going to be frustrations. Let's all learn from our mistakes however let's all take a look at ourself as we do and try to smile. It isn't that bad now is it?

Now, I am waiting for some of our Dominican friends to add to this thread. I am sure they have lot's of "funny stories" to share with us.

Remember, this is not meant to be a Dominican bashing thread so please try to refrain from it. It is also not a gringo bashing thread either.

Keep it light.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Huh? Have you been to any dominican joints? You will never see a 50 something dominican guy with a 20 year old novia. . . . .yeah right. Why project your feelings on age difference on a country where the culture is very different than the states.

I am 43 and my novia is 29. . . . .my last novia was 14 years younger than I am. . . . .

My novia's ex husband is about 40 and my ex novia's ex was older than I am. . . . .

So what is the problem? Some dominicanas prefer older men. . . .some don't. . . . .

Bob, you're so right, the pigs don't find innocent girls because some other pig found them first. As far as a shop owner hiring young nice looking girls, does that mean the shop owner is shagging all of them? What's your point on this one? He hires the girls and ...... ?

My point is being overlooked. The point is that these pigs are disgusting and embarrising for other Gringo's. You want to shag a girl the age of your granddaughter that's your business, just know that everyone around you knows what you are...... pathetic.

Sep 19, 2005
What's your point on this one? He hires the girls and ...... ?

You want to shag a girl the age of your granddaughter that's your business, just know that everyone around you knows what you are...... pathetic.

Are you now accusing me of shagging someone my grandaughters age...because i rebuffed your blanket statement?...and you go to say I am pathetic.....you obviously have a sore spot for something.....

I dont have any grandchildren.....sorry too young for that. Ill give you my point....but I dont think you care about my point...do you?

but this is about what gringo-as think... your view is valid...totally...except where you try to accuse ME of shagging someone young enough to be my grandaughter...because you dont like what i say.

My girlfriend worked at a place and the Hefer would never stop trying to intimidate her into liking him and more.....and he did that to many other girls. Then when I see a store that should realistically hire both men women and boy or girls to do the job needed, and the owner ONLY has young girls......you want me to believ that he isnt doing exactly the same thing or worse you accuse older gringos-- AND NOW ME...of doing........

I think it is kinda pathetic to see men you describe with young girls....but two things happend in my thought process....

1) I bet almost all of those girls who would eventually end up with a guy like that, would end up doing what they do with anyone anyway

2)I cant worry about what everyone else is doing in a foreign country...especially when 90% of the people who live there dont care themselves

besides I know about PIGS!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

bob

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I understand your point

Jackieboo,

I see and understand your point and to many it is frustrating to see this. Instead of taking the approach of being angry about it. Perhaps you can share some funny stories about gringos with Dominicans you might have seen?

Let's try to keep this thread from going into the crapper.

What do gringos/tourists/ex-pat residents find in other gringos that they see as funny? How do our Dominican friends see us? These are the questions.