Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

2ndVida

Feb 2, 2010
Look very good

'Rescued': A story that called to me

Article & video at link plus programme on being an orphan in Haiti on CNN tomorrrow (Saturday) 8 pm eastern. Among other things it looks at work done by those who wanted to help and went to Haiti & set up orphanages there (as opposed to those who try to take the children from Haiti).

I saw a preview for this and I believe Solidad O'Brien is hosting it. If I remember correctly the parents said their daughter had this dream to do something like this since she was something like 8 years old. The mother and father followed her! Looks like an amazing story!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Inspiring

If you have not yet watched this one hour special on orphans in Haiti on CNN, it should not be missed if you are at all interested in the plight of these children. It is on twice tomorrow (May 9), sometime in the morning at 8 pm in the evening.

This is exactly how I felt from the beginning that the orphan crisis should be addressed, in the home country, not pulling the youngest generation out of Haiti and taking them to the DR or to institutions in some other country.

I hope you will make it a point to watch the show.

If for some reason you miss it tomorrow, I am sure there will be future opportunities. Other specials produced by Soledad Obrian have been repeated periodically and I am sure this one will be, too. CNN is one news network that has not forgotten the children of Haiti.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just what I expect, as you will see if you scroll down to my April 27 post.

She is going to be convicted, sentenced to a 6 month term, given credit for time served, about a month in jail as a convict before being allowed to go home.

I do not expect any big international fuss over this.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
This is soo sad.

This is classic Gabriela
She announces:

"Orphaned children are being sold as sex slaves, and the pedophiles are avoiding the airports in Haiti because papers are needed. How can we stop this from happening?"

She then describes herself as a journalist yet does not back up her conclusion or reply to further posts.
Thoroughly irresponsible as a journalist and pretty pathetic as a poster.

Then somebody reads it, quotes it and hey presto - it is now true.
Doubtless people do take advantage of the situation in Haiti but at the moment Haiti has to be one of the most difficult places from where to smuggle children - mainly due to the reaction against Silsby and her mischief.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Welcome, Jordan

How sad to hear that. What can we do?

First, you can ignore pedrochemical. Second, thanks for getting us back to the original intention of this thread. I don't know where you are based, but many countries have organizations fighting child sex slavery. In Canada, young people have founded organizations to help stop human trafficking and the use of children in free zones. I suspect the earthquake just ripped the scar off the festering sores of Haiti. It will need the help of the international community for years to come.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You can ignore me for sure.
But why would you listen to Gabriela - what are her credentials?

I might not know as much as some but I live and work in Haiti and have done for many years. And not in some dodgy NGO but as a private, commercial business owner and employee.

Search Gabriela's posts and you will see that she has an axe to grind due to an uncle being killed in the D.R.

Look at her posts on what she claims happened to Sosua, when and why?
Look at her posts on inheritance in the D.R.

It is irresponsible simply to post sensational nonsense and not to substantiate it.

That is what annoys me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can ignore me for sure.
But why would you listen to Gabriela - what are her credentials?

I might not know as much as some but I live and work in Haiti and have done for many years. And not in some dodgy NGO but as a private, commercial business owner and employee.

I wouldn't bother wasting my time defending myself against ill advised statements. The people whose opinion you likely value can spot those who have a horse to ride and dismiss out of hand those with a different point of view.

Fortunately, most posters know that the value of message boards/forums like DR1 is the diversity that the posters bring to the table.

Private conversations should be conducted by PM.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I wouldn't bother wasting my time defending myself against ill advised statements. The people whose opinion you likely value can spot those who have a horse to ride and dismiss out of hand those with a different point of view.

Fortunately, most posters know that the value of message boards/forums like DR1 is the diversity that the posters bring to the table.

Private conversations should be conducted by PM.

True enough, however I do not like dishonesty or sensationalism. It can be very damaging to both those who are subjected to it and to those who consume it.
There is so much nonsense written about Haiti, especially since the quake. It is simply not fair. If people told lies and talked nonsense about your country would you not protest?
Although I am English I have Haitian family and friends. I live and work here and over the years I have become a little bit attached to the place.

Wherever I see untruths or sensationalism I will respond.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
So there's this huge market for sex slaves and what not, and this thread goes on and on and on.
OK, already!
Where can I get me one, and what do they cost?

Don't know? Then there isn't the huge problem you think there is. You just wish.