Why Are Dominicans So Apathetic?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Santo Domingo, "Man-on-The-Street" interview.
What do you think about the statement, that, The two biggest problems in the Dominican Republic, are Ignorance, and Apathy"?????????????????????
"I Don't KNOW, and I Don't CARE!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I crashed my brother-in-law's pick up truck into a CVS drugstore in Lynn Ma. two years ago.
I KNOW, I KNOW!!!!!!
Anyway, the "First Responder", opened the door, looked at me, and said, "You OK, "OLDTIMER"?????????????????
Who Knew????

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
The corruption is blatant and rife, thrown in their faces everyday.
They show emotion, but that's it, nothing more!

When and what will turn the apathy it action?

===========

Note: This is the debate forum, so be warned, personal attacks, ridiculous posts and thread hijacking will get a you a 1 week ban. So I suggest some of you engage brain before posting :)

What do you advocate?
Revolution, fighting, burning, looting in the streets?
Fundamental structural changes will not take place because of the mentality of the citizens and governors in the DR.
You can see this problem repeated throughout the world. The few developed countries are trying to maintain their structure.
On the very top is corruption and billions being made through sales of arms and manipulation of finances.
If lucky you have a vote in a participatory democracy and little hope for real change.
Power abhors a vacuum, after an overthrow the next players move in. In the case of the DR or Syria as an example, it won't get any better.
I'm not saying one should not try, but once one becomes part of the political structure it is hard to affect real change and politicians have to conform to the game.
Have a look at western democracies and the quagmire they're in.
The Chinese and Russians are building their economies and armies and avoid getting involved militarily.
I see little hope for real change in the DR. A poorly educated populace is easier to control.

Dec 26, 2011
Imagine you are a Dominican working abroad or you are working locally with a group of both Dominicans and foreigners. Do you know who is more likely to screw you or give you a hard time? YOUR FELLOW DOMINICAN!!!

True of almost every national group of immigrants.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Dominican Republic: God, FAMILY, Country.

USA: God, COUNTRY, Family.

When country is not right behind God corruption is allowed to take its place

Dominican Republic: God, Family, Corruption.

JMB,
Ever heard of separation of State and Religion in order to govern.
There is a good reason for this, study history.
If you want to learn about the pleasures of Shira law your gf. with the chador can help you.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. The phrase has since been repeatedly used by the Supreme Court of the United States.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...." and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The modern concept of a wholly secular government is sometimes credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke, but the phrase "separation of church and state" in this context is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper". Quote

I don't think that Christianity has a great influence on DR gov.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
JMB,
Ever heard of separation of State and Religion in order to govern.
There is a good reason for this, study history.
If you want to learn about the pleasures of Shira law your gf. with the chador can help you.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. The phrase has since been repeatedly used by the Supreme Court of the United States.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...." and Article VI specifies that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The modern concept of a wholly secular government is sometimes credited to the writings of English philosopher John Locke, but the phrase "separation of church and state" in this context is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper". Quote

I don't think that Christianity has a great influence on DR gov.

really?

so what about this?

Roman Catholicism is the official religion of the Dominican Republic, established by a Concordat with the Vatican.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hello, everyone, hope all is well with you, I know I may be joining this debate very late as there are at least 15 pages and I didn't read them all, but the inital question is what I would like to address. Are Dominicanos Apathetic? I would say that the corruption and various abuses are a part of every country in the world. There are the disenfranchised in every sector of the world, so the DR is no exception to that. Dominicanos are very passionate about justice for those who have been ill treated. But just as the world chose to look the other way with Darfor or the seemingly endless brutality of Apartied in South Africa, your asking the victums to do a lot with little to no world support. Condition to it is true, but it ultimatly lies with the entire world to end and injustice. Where do you start, who do you start with? The short solution is easy, but true change never comes easy and never comes fast. Just gettting the majority which is in the minority to stand on anything almost takes God himself coming down and delivering a word or works and still not everyone will agree. So Dominicanos would be Apathetic if Americans are also apathetic, or Mexicans or Canadians or Englanders or europeans or Latin Americans or just any country or race or group or people are. The masses always support the minority and it just finding a system that gives both groups the best life that is hard to incorporate. That my friend, isn't apathetic, its life and life is but a few days and filled with troubles. Thanks for your topic, it is a good one, just wish it could reach more eyes, ears, and hearts to affect and effect change!!! Take care all, and God bless you my people, and all the people of the world and God bless Dominican Republic
Biggs

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hello, everyone, hope all is well with you, I know I may be joining this debate very late as there are at least 15 pages and I didn't read them all, but the inital question is what I would like to address. Are Dominicanos Apathetic? I would say that the corruption and various abuses are a part of every country in the world. There are the disenfranchised in every sector of the world, so the DR is no exception to that. Dominicanos are very passionate about justice for those who have been ill treated. But just as the world chose to look the other way with Darfor or the seemingly endless brutality of Apartied in South Africa, your asking the victums to do a lot with little to no world support. Condition to it is true, but it ultimatly lies with the entire world to end and injustice. Where do you start, who do you start with? The short solution is easy, but true change never comes easy and never comes fast. Just gettting the majority which is in the minority to stand on anything almost takes God himself coming down and delivering a word or works and still not everyone will agree. So Dominicanos would be Apathetic if Americans are also apathetic, or Mexicans or Canadians or Englanders or europeans or Latin Americans or just any country or race or group or people are. The masses always support the minority and it just finding a system that gives both groups the best life that is hard to incorporate. That my friend, isn't apathetic, its life and life is but a few days and filled with troubles. Thanks for your topic, it is a good one, just wish it could reach more eyes, ears, and hearts to affect and effect change!!! Take care all, and God bless you my people, and all the people of the world and God bless Dominican Republic
Biggs

the masses always support the minority? so what was the French Revolution all about?

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Gorgon: In the end the French revolution was about Robespierre and his thugs, a minority that rapidly failed. The "revolution" did not begin to succeed until after Napoleon III and the Fourth Republic in mid 19th Century.

The real revolution was here in America and began 10 years before the French. The American revolutionaries were a distinct minority as well, whose perseverance nonetheless created the first Republic since Rome, and after 226 years it is still wobbling along on its First Constitution, while France is on its, what? Sixth?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon: In the end the French revolution was about Robespierre and his thugs, a minority that rapidly failed. The "revolution" did not begin to succeed until after Napoleon III and the Fourth Republic in mid 19th Century.

The real revolution was here in America and began 10 years before the French. The American revolutionaries were a distinct minority as well, whose perseverance nonetheless created the first Republic since Rome, and after 226 years it is still wobbling along on its First Constitution, while France is on its, what? Sixth?

i am aware of the historical nuances of the French and American revolutions, but the majority never end up supporting the minority, or apartheid would still be alive and well in SA.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Vat I Can?

really?

so what about this?

Roman Catholicism is the official religion of the Dominican Republic, established by a Concordat with the Vatican.

Indeed,
However the Catholic principles do not impede government corruption and are obviously not applied.
Not stealing or coveting your neighbours wife seems to be a good theory on paper.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
To answer the original question - fear. At least in my Dominican family. There are times when some folks in the family will say they don't like something so I ask them what they will do about it and it usually ends in nothing because they are afraid of the consequences for speaking out against the police, government, etc.

Some fear is justified but I would suggest that there are proper forums and methods for these things. I am lucky (I think) to have four politicians in the family. They know how to get concerns expressed properly and encourage doing it but fear still takes over. There are also memories and stories from older family members of how things used to be here with dictators and that extends fear as well.

As for the politicans in the family, it is split. I gather that a couple of them don't want anything to change because the way it is benefits them, though they are more distant relatives and I don't speak with them regularly. A couple actually do want to make some changes, but it is a very difficult and timely process with the government here and even when sometimes when they do make a small change for the good it will eventually get reversed and they have to start over.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans MAY BE catholics, but they are Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from practicing their supposed faith!
"Saying, "Si Dios Quiere" is about it for them.
And just another form of ducking responsibility, "A La",.."No Fui YO!!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Give me an "Evangelica" every time!!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I haven't read the previous pages of comments, but I will say that it is easy to call people apathetic when it's not your @ss that has to be on the line. The simple fact is in places like The US, Canada, etc...you can "protest" and very little consequences will come to you, thus it's very easy to do so. I find it amusing that for instance people staging a sit in get carried, very gently, to the sidewalk by the police...

By contrast in The DR people peacefully chanting slogans asking for a 4% or against what they see as abusive practice by Barrick Gold for instance will get shot at, stumped and kicked, etc by the "security forces" M?s de 50 heridos en protesta contra minera Barrick Gold en RD – Vocero de Puerto Rico Fact of the matter is if you protest in The DR you're very likely to end up at the hospital or worse...and BTW in the end nothing changes, so I wouldn't call it apathy. I call it self preservation.