Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 info on Moving to the DR

On Vaction without a return ticket!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2006 info on Moving to the DR

I've done a lot of research and I still have a few questions. Coment's on the following would help greatly.
    1) Shipping costs and import taxes; Is it best to sell U.S. vehicles and buy DR? What is the best way to ship personal goods?

2) We're looking at either the Punta Cana area or Caberette; pros/cons, one better than the other? Recommendations for other areas to look at?

3) Suggestions for good real estate agents?

4) Safety. My partner is a little freaked out about the fact that everyone has security. Any words of comfort for the frightened one would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much in advance for ANY advise you may have.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Heiko at Camadosa Realty. He's wonderful and very knowledgeable about the Punta Cana area. We bought a condo in PC (in the Cortecito area) and love it. Will be spending 1/2 the year there until our son starts college. Then hopefully all winter.
    Buying cars- I hear they are expensive in DR and you really need something sturdy because of the roads. Don't know how much to ship from the US but have been told that you can only ship a car that is less than 5 yrs, old. and in good condition.
    Security- We have armed security at our condo and it took some getting used to. Crime is very low here and maybe all the private security is the reason. It does take some getting used to but they are certainly a deterrent to petty crime and vandalism.
    Good luck with yourmove!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for you advise I definately will call in on the realtor. I'm coming down on Wednesday and plan to look at as many areas as is possible.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jackieboo, 4 general questions, 4 general answers ..

1) Shipping costs and import taxes

Lots of information on the board about this - do a search first and then get back with specific questions. You can ship personal goods by container, and your experience will vary depending on where you ship from, and where you ship to. There is lots of controversy about shipping a vehicle vs buying here. Mostly it is just easier to buy here, and you are not subject to the problems in customs to import your vehicle. If you bring a vehicle, be aware of what the level of service would be for that vehicle in the area that you select.

2)Punta Cana area or Caberete;

I do not know Punta Cana, but I really like the Cabarete area. Depends what you want. What is it that you want? There are people from both areas on the board, but you need to tell us what you are looking for.

3) Suggestions for good real estate agents?

Again in Cabarete area, I suggest you search on Real Estate Agents, Sosua. There are many threads where good companies are recommended. See who comes up over and over again in the recommendations and you'll have a good idea who to trust.

4) Safety.

Yes, you need security of some kind. The area where you settle, will determine what kind of security you need. So, look around while you are investigating and see what the level of security is around you. That will give you a good idea of what you would need. Most of us live happily without problems, but we have all learnt certain do's and dont's security wise. Just a few months ago, we left a door open and left the house. A laptop was snatched quick as a wink. But, we left the door open. The DR is generally still safe personally, but your posessions will be ripped off in the New York minute if you are not careful.

Keep asking specific questions on the board and you'll get varied, weird, wonderful and mostly accurate information.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Point One: moving your things will be easier -- or rather, cheaper--onceyou establish residency. YOu get certain breaks as a result. Shipping cars -- well it will be cheaper to ship your car from there if you do it after gaining residency as well, and certain companies are set up to give you good deals on this. Cars here, even second hand, are expensive and usually not as well maintainted. From where are you moving? There are restrictions on the age of the car btw, but I cannot remember the cutoff year.

Point Two: bear in mind this comes from a Capitaleņo, but I would choose the Cabarete area over Punta Cana, which is more isolated from the rest of the country, flatter land (less variation), highly developed in terms of resorts, with small rather ugly towns so the local life is less attractive in my view -- though the area around Boca de Yuma is really nice, and of course lots of good beaches. In Cabarete you are right on the North coast, near the samana peninsula, the cibao, the Northwest, Santiago, and you have the Autopista Duarte to take you to the capital. The coastal road is beautiful too.

Point Four: thievery is a national sport, so you have to keep things locked down, and you will learn the ins and outs of this. It is not so hard really, but we all have stories about thieves here. Either one of these sectors has pretty low crime figures -- the Capital and Santiago have higher figures because there is urban crowding and slums. Frankly, where you are headed, I wouldnt worry about it too much. The house will have bars on windows and doors, and if you dont drive anything too flashy you are unlikely to be carjacked --which I think happens down here in the city but not up there really. On the whole dominicans are pretty mellow people. Take time to really get to know your neighbors, but play your cards close to your chest too. Become part of the community, learn dominican mores and language, and accept that they have different ideas about some things. YOu are on their turf now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your insights about moving there. Answering your questions I'll be moving from the desert (Phoenix, Arizona). What am I looking for? I'm looking for a nice house (villa) under $200,000 in an area that I can walk to the beach, the house must have access to high speed internet as I plan on working for the same company that I work for now only there. I'm not too keen on the idea of living in a 'compound' I'll just have to see what's there when I come down. I leave on Tuesday, fly in to Punta Cana, rent a car and have set up several meetings with real estate agents. Any thing you'd like to add from there would be greatly appriciated.

Mr. Main Event
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackieboo
    Thank you for your insights about moving there. Answering your questions I'll be moving from the desert (Phoenix, Arizona). What am I looking for? I'm looking for a nice house (villa) under $200,000 in an area that I can walk to the beach, the house must have access to high speed internet as I plan on working for the same company that I work for now only there. I'm not too keen on the idea of living in a 'compound' I'll just have to see what's there when I come down. I leave on Tuesday, fly in to Punta Cana, rent a car and have set up several meetings with real estate agents. Any thing you'd like to add from there would be greatly appriciated.
    I dont think bought houses come with high speed internet included. you wil have to get the internet on your own. They cost aroun $60 a month. And the process is long sometimes you wait a month before they get you connected.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, perhaps you have the cart before the horse. Most of us long-timers on here (and some of us count a loooong time), suggest that you rent for a year before you get to the business of buying. I would strongly suggest that you choose an area that you like, and that may fit the bill for you, and rent for a year .. an apartment, a house anything. But do not come down and on your first or second or even third or fourth visit and buy. Wait with that decision. Spend a year before you spend money.

Rentals are still priced at a level where they do not break the bank. But give yourself some time. Don't make the appointments with the realtors before you have not checked out an area thoroughly, have found your feet with the country and the people and the culture and are sure of where you want to be.

All this advise is null and void if you find a most amazing deal and just simply have to invest. On the other hand, the most amazing deal will probably be a scam of some kind

I cannot say it strongly enough! Rent for a year first... and find your feet. If you find something while you are renting, you are not pressed to make decisions, as you would know what else is available in your chosen area.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Chris. That is the kind of advise I really need to hear. Anything else you can think of just post away.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

jackiepoo,
    As another long-timer in country I would recommend those suggestions offered by Chris.

As you didn't mention if you are familiar with the DR or how many times you have visited is a further indication of the need to step back and think about this.

The last paragraph of the last post from Chris explains my sediments also. Good luck and welcome to DR1.

Rick

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast