Car rental at POP or Sosua/Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable car rental agency?
I have tried to use the Search function without much luck... I think I remember
someone mentioning Ace at POP. How about any others such as Europcar?
I have driven in the DR on several different occasions and have previously
rented daily in Cabarete. But it looks like there are good weekly rates for small cars at POP(@$200US). How about the differing insurance plans? Will my auto policy from the US be of any use? I realize that ANY accident could prove
problematic and expensive, so what insurance provisions are best?
Please advise me of any useful information and company names and #s.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
If you're looking for big names, there's an Avis rental at Plaza el Patio in the center of Cabarete.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Not necessarily

Big names aren't always the best! I want some advice from those who've had positive experiences renting at POP, if possible. If not, then somewhere else.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
When it comes down to insurance and support, then big names like Avis, Budget, etc.. is the way to go. If you rent from one of those "small timers" in cabarete or wherever else in Sosua and you get into in accident with their vehicle, believe me you are gonna PAY!! It's all about insurance & liability in this country, the big ones will pay it and the small ones will make you pay it!!

Don't take my word, play with them and you'll find out!!!!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The problem with that $200 rate is:
1. Very small car
2. Does not include insurance. When you add the insurance it will double the rate (just happened to friends with the same deal)

We use a local Sosua company for our clients, over the last 4 years, and never have had a problem even with one having and accident. Thier rate is about $35 day for small suv (Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4) and includes insurance and Casa de Conductora (sp)(get out of jail card with an accident).

PM me if you want contact info.

BObK

Go with the big named companies Budget,avis are the best and if you rent with a visa your card will cover accident insurance. Like a previous poster stated if you go for the smaller companies their cars may or not be insured or even they may not even own the cars they are renting and it could ruin your vacation should you have an accident. I speak from experience.

Jan 17, 2009
"a visa your card will cover accident insurance."

Watch out for that coverage! It may cover collision and theft but at least my VISA cards, none cover liability (such as bodily injury). That could be a huge problem if there's personal injury. I went to the extent of buying once a special policy from American Express only to find out when I got the policy that liability was not covered either. I buy full coverage from the rental companies every time I rent (despite the extra cost).

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Thanks for the helpful info. I think I'll call my insurance provider here (US) to
see what they say about the validity of my policy with rentals in the DR.

Still, I'd like to rent in POP, so I'll have a vehicle at Playa Dorado and I'll be able to drive to Cabarete and "wherever"when I want. Not at night.

What's the best agency at POP? How do I find out what's really available via the internet?

Jan 22, 2010
My best friend here in Puerto Plata has a couple of jeeps he rents for a reasonable rate and both Honda CRV are in excellent conditions...

So just PM and I will check the availability...

;)

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I always rent from POP

I have been to the DR 7 times and I always rent from the POP airport. I have used Alamo, Avis and this last trip Budget. I have never had problems with Alamo and used them 4 times. I used Avis twice and both times I had problems with the car. I used Budget the last time and got an older model car and I did not like how they charged me more than what was listed on my rental agreement. Basically I requested full coverage insurance and their system does not charge tax when you reserve so they wanted to charge me more. I told them that was there problem with the system not mine.

However after a lot of back and forth we agreed to meet in the middle. I was not happy with the experience or the car which I had to yank the shift hard to put back into Park. I have not used Ace because their rates are always high.

MrArturo

Jan 8, 2010
Just personal experience from the past 8 visits...I rent from Avis, despite the marginally lower rates available from the "little guys". Rafael Martinez at Avis in Puerto
Plata has always treated me right. New, reliable cars, service and courtesy. Their operation extends through the POP airport and Cabarete as well.

MrArturo

Jan 8, 2010
On another note, Eurocar was a disappointment. Their daily / weekly rate was low for their compact car, but they were more than willing to charge me more than double "because I wore the tires out" (in a week...hmmm)

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
Rented at Easyrider in Cabarete 2 years in a row.. never had any problems, and the owner (Josef) is more than happy to point out intersting places, directions and serious driving advice. Prices vary from USD 20 to USD 45 and anything in between. Just negociate!!!

Forget western drvin styles and blend in with the traffic.
We drove almost a 1000 miles all together, and as long as you keep your eyes open and on the road, you'll be fine.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.