Simply Red Sosua Restaurant Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Simply Red is the name of an British music group that the proprietor of this restaurant really really really loves so he named his restaurant Simply Red.

Myself and 2 friends had a lovely meal there 2 nights ago. We each had a different dish, chicken, fish and pork and each was yummy and prepared with care and expertise.

The proprietor, Philip, runs the place with his wife and the service was warm and gracious. The decor is simple and nice and the prices are reasonable.

I will be going back.
It is located right by the helipad in Sosua (about a block away from Bolonga restaurant)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Went in a large group (12) on friday night. Good food and nice service. Will definately go back. The only thing I would say is that Mick Hucknell and Simply Red didn't make enough records to only play their music!

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Music too loud !

We wanted to stop there two-three times including their Grand Openning recently, but were scared away by the DEAFENNING LOUD music that makes one unable to talk completely.

Loud music is not a sign of high class. Patrons must be able to talk nice in half voice.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I can only speak for my one visit. I didn't find the music loud, just a little repetative!
I will definately go again!

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I can only speak for my one visit. I didn't find the music loud, just a little repetative!
I will definately go again!

If no more loud music we def check it out.

Close to Bologna and Bailey. Hopefully Red has better prices.

Restarants prices in Sosua went crazy recently. I have no explanation. Almost 70% increase in less than a year!!

Plus some of them try to add another 16% and 10% and expect tips on top of that.

Not much time ago we could afford to eat out almost every night.

Not the case any longer. Eat home and go for a drink to the bar.

I hope the Red is good and respectful place. Will go there next week.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
they had the loud music(reggaeton) on when we arrived , but changed it to simply red just for us .

what was wrong with your carved tomato ?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think so Afgan. The prices were good and taxes included. We go out as a group of couples and like to find nice places where we can chat and have a relaxed evening. What we look for are
Good food
Reasonable prices
Nice atmosphere
Good service
Simply Red ticked all of the boxes for us!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Simply Red is the name of an British music group that the proprietor of this restaurant really really really loves so he named his restaurant Simply Red.

Myself and 2 friends had a lovely meal there 2 nights ago. We each had a different dish, chicken, fish and pork and each was yummy and prepared with care and expertise.

The proprietor, Philip, runs the place with his wife and the service was warm and gracious. The decor is simple and nice and the prices are reasonable.
appearance
I will be going back.
It is located right by the helipad in Sosua (about a block away from Bolonga restaurant)

The food is very good there. If his wife is one of the waitresses working there, he should kick her out together with the other one. Those two have nothing to do in any kind of service industri, totaly usless!! However last time I was there, there also was a another waitress, and she wasn?t to bad.
But he realy have to get those two other waitreses out, one of them must be his wife, that can be the only reason they "work" there.
However as I said the food was excelent, and if I hear the two incompetent waitresses are out, I will be back.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The food is very good there. If his wife is one of the waitresses working there, he should kick her out together with the other one. Those two have nothing to do in any kind of service industri, totaly usless!! However last time I was there, there also was a another waitress, and she wasn?t to bad.
But he realy have to get those two other waitreses out, one of them must be his wife, that can be the only reason they "work" there.
However as I said the food was excelent, and if I hear the two incompetent waitresses are out, I will be back.

His wife is one of the original two you commented on.

But the food is good and so is the price. He cooks a nice steak for 375rd.

Another place that I think you will like better is the Romanoff Bar and Restaurant near Eddy's. Everything there is good and reasonable, and you won't have to put up with incompetent or slow service over there. They also cook good Thai food there.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I on the other hand found the wife and waitresses excellent. They are attentive, friendly, smile and take pride in the work. The food presentation was excellent.
The chicken though was overcooked and the potatoes undercooked.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
His wife is one of the original two you commented on.

But the food is good and so is the price. He cooks a nice steak for 375rd.

Another place that I think you will like better is the Romanoff Bar and Restaurant near Eddy's. Everything there is good and reasonable, and you won't have to put up with incompetent or slow service over there. They also cook good Thai food there.

I?m allready a regular customer at Romanoff. The chopsuey is excelent as most of the food there, low prices and good service from nice waitresses.
However I stick to my opinion on the Haitianas at Simply Red. Both times they have been extrem slow, done several mistakes and been unfriendly. The Dominicana who was there last time however was nice and service minded.
About the price, have they stopped adding 26% now ? They have done that to me both times, and then it?s not so reasonable there.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It?s about their skills and attitude and servicemind, so I realy hope the owner read this. The food is great, so he should hire professional waitresses, and leave the wife at home.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Hey fellas why don't you guys just say the average price in US dollars, intead of saying "reasonable" because what is reasonable to you might not be reasonable to me. Thanks. For example at Rocky's, a good lunch meal I believe was around $8-$10. That is reasonable I think ;)

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hey fellas why don't you guys just say the average price in US dollars, intead of saying "reasonable" because what is reasonable to you might not be reasonable to me. Thanks. For example at Rocky's, a good lunch meal I believe was around $8-$10. That is reasonable I think ;)

Why should we mention prices in dollars ? We use pesos in this country. Not everybody on this board, or everybody living or visiting Sosua is American.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
To the moderator. You makes things difficult.
My opinion is that if the owner will make a good place out of this, he should keep the domestic waitress, and get rid of the two non domestic waitresses.
Is that good enough ?

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Why should we mention prices in dollars ? We use pesos in this country. Not everybody on this board, or everybody living or visiting Sosua is American.

Because most people who visit these touristy restaurants bring US dollars in this country and then convert them into pesos. So by mentioning how much in US dollars things cost we can get a better idea by comparing those costs with 1st world country prices and get a better idea.

Reactions: mike l

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Because most people who visit these touristy restaurants bring US dollars in this country and then convert them into pesos. So by mentioning how much in US dollars things cost we can get a better idea by comparing those costs with 1st world country prices and get a better idea.

So people from Germany, France, England, Canada (the majority of visitors to POP/Sosua) usually bring US Dollars when they come to a foreign country? :ermm:

...and now $10 USD for lunch at Rocky's is "reasonable"? Last year you thought reasonable meant a large 3 topping pizza for $5, since this is a third world country and all...

Richie

Mar 30, 2005

Not true. I've made about twenty trips to the DR in the past five years or so and use either sterling travellers cheques or a pre-paid ATM card (also sterling). Also, as far as I can remember none of the restaurants I've eaten in have ever charged in $US. They all charged in pesos, so for me it makes more sense to frame any discussion about prices in pesos too.

Status
Not open for further replies.