FOX News' solution to the Haitian problem

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Unbelievable! You cannot compare with east and west Germany as they are all Germans and the divide was not that old. How do they honestly think that the DR with all of it's own problems can take on Haiti's as well? That's the most stupid article I've read since the quake! But thanks for sharing!

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
The author of this article is a professor?

... Pontificating from a pinnacle of ignorance.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Fox News' arrogance and stupidity covers every topic. Read this Article.

I suppose you didn't read the byline:

Daniel Rodriguez is co-founder of the Alliance for Economic Stability and an adjunct professor of International Business at Mercy College in New York.

I suppose Fox prints an article by a one time contributor and all of a sudden this is seen as a proposal to meddle in Haitan and DR affairs? I think you should save your criticism for the author.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
realistically it might be one of the outcomes with the best chance of succeeding - except its obviously not a merger of equals.

imagine if along with acquiring haiti came $50B USD from the international community, spread out over 50 years.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Fox News' arrogance and stupidity covers every topic. Read this Article.

I had read the article earlier today and I think his arrogance in making such a suggestion only matches his ignorance of Haitian/Dominican history. I am flabergasted at people who think they can **** through their mouth such nonsense and think we have no say in a possible merger between the two countries. What are we, puppets? is this a marriage arranged by matchmakers? please, we are ready and willing to help Haiti in any which way we can, but as good neighbors, cada uno en su casa, as my grandmother used to say: "comamos juntos y caguemos aparte" sorry for the vulgarity, but it's called for.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
realistically it might be one of the outcomes with the best chance of succeeding - except its obviously not a merger of equals.

imagine if along with acquiring haiti came $50B USD from the international community, spread out over 50 years.

Haiti could probably swallow up $50B USD over the next 50 MONTHS all by itself!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Fuel for the Dominican paranoia about the existence of an international conspiracy to unite the two countries.

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
I suppose you didn't read the byline:

Daniel Rodriguez is co-founder of the Alliance for Economic Stability and an adjunct professor of International Business at Mercy College in New York.

I suppose Fox prints an article by a one time contributor and all of a sudden this is seen as a proposal to meddle in Haitan and DR affairs? I think you should save your criticism for the author.

Sure, they SHOULD have editors responsible for checking whether Haiti was ever under British and Dutch rule, or the comparison with East and West Germany. Maybe this one slipped through, but you only see this type of arrogance under Fox News (maybe CNN's former anchor Lou Dobbs). When's the last time you read something like this in the NY Times?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Some valid points but a ridiculous solution-

The article in itself is not that bad meaning it does raise some valid historical points and hits the nail on the head regarding some crucial observations. However, his suggestion as a solution to Haiti's problem is where he goes overboard or puts his foot in his mouth.

The author, in my opinion, presents two vast extremes: either leave the country the way it is and the vicious cycle of demise will repeat itself or merge with the DR. How would merging with the DR solve Haiti's political, economical and even to a certain extent social problems which are tied to the history of its destitute masses? A poor country like the DR with limited resources can not prop an economically downtrodden one.

It's interesting that this article surfaces today after the first summit of twenty nations yesterday in Montreal, Quebec (Canada). The perception was one where no real solutions were made and no fixed $ amount has been decided upon for the suggested ten year rebuilding phase (minimum to get Haiti to where it was before the quake).

In my opinion, Haiti's government current and future ones are responsible for rebuilding Haiti. I thoroughly support international aid from richer nations once channelled correctly. However, the captain of the ship must be Preval with the support of other government members. They are the driving forces behind this new phase in Haiti's future.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002

Today is the birthday of Juan Pablo Duarte, father of our independence, he said: La patria ha de ser libre e independiente de toda Potencia extranjera o se hunde la isla

'nuff said

They can take their money and shove it... you know where

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
It could be an idea though to include Haiti in the DR-CAFTA. If they really do get funding to rebuild the country. But maybe that suggestion is for another thread.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

A Jeepeta for every man woman and child!

I personally think they should give Michael Bloomberg or Mark Cuban a crack at Haiti.

Maybe I could also get a piece picked up by Fox?

Jan 9, 2004
Probably not since...

Sure, they SHOULD have editors responsible for checking whether Haiti was ever under British and Dutch rule, or the comparison with East and West Germany. Maybe this one slipped through, but you only see this type of arrogance under Fox News (maybe CNN's former anchor Lou Dobbs). When's the last time you read something like this in the NY Times?

the Jayson Blair scandal in 2003, I believe.

That having been said, it would appear you have an axe to grind with Fox...so be it. But if you look a little closer at the writers background, he hardly qualifies as true Fox material.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Right or wrong, whether on Fox or CNN, I have to give the professor props for thinking outside of the box.

One thing is for sure: the status quo will NOT produce any societal, economic or gubmintal progress within Haiti. Just throwing money at Haiti has produced no tangible results.

Of course the challenge would be enormous because of the huge difference in language, economy and culture.

If the esteemed "international community" ponies up the billions a year necessary to even consider such a proposal, why not take a good peek at it? Maybe a 10-year plan with specific targets and triggers?

I'm NOT advocating the two merge. But the prof makes some interesting points worthy of discussing.

With the correct funding, who better to fix Haiti than the DR?

I suspect the OP has an personal "issue" with Fox News and not the concept an op-ed writer presented.

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
That having been said, it would appear you have an axe to grind with Fox...so be it. But if you look a little closer at the writers background, he hardly qualifies as true Fox material.
If the author of this article isn't true Fox material, then Glenn Beck isn't either.

cobraboy said:
I'm NOT advocating the two merge. But the prof makes some interesting points worthy of discussing. With the correct funding, who better to fix Haiti than the DR?
Please explain how channelling funds through a corrupt third world country would be the best way of helping Haiti? I'm curious, what interesting points are you referring to?

Reactions: ben jammin

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am not shocked by that article... However, I would rather see the Israelis in charge of Haiti... Kibbutz are the right answer. Only the Israelis have proven to the proper knowledge...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yugoslavia... didn't work.

Czechoslovakia... didn't work.

"Original" South Africa.... didn't work, Namibia got away.

Indonesia.... didn't work, extremely tiny East Timor literally fought its way to freedom from Indonesia.

Malaysia before the 1960s... didn't work, they actually expelled Singapore from the union, it was that bad.

"Original" India.... didn't work, Pakistan and Bangladesh needed to be on their own.

Are we seeing a pattern? :tired:

BTW, I find it interesting how almost everyone that mentions one of the two countries not agreeing to this, the one that always is mentioned is the DR. Last time I checked, Haitians don't really want their country to be merged with the DR either.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today is the birthday of Juan Pablo Duarte, father of our independence, he said: La patria ha de ser libre e independiente de toda Potencia extranjera o se hunde la isla

'nuff said

They can take their money and shove it... you know where
Don't be surprised if on your next visit to the Altar de la Patria, JPD's tomb appears to be open. :cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Please explain how channelling funds through a corrupt third world country would be the best way of helping Haiti? I'm curious, what interesting points are you referring to?
The entire concept.

Interesting.

Not necessarily what I'd want for the country I live in.

<edit> Besides, I don't see a whole lot of difference in funneling money through a corrupt first world country or the corrupt UN... </edit>

Last edited: