Another rescue!

The Clear Enigma

Oct 24, 2009
How long can you live without water - Did some research and apparently a human can go between 8 and 14 days without water depending on certain circumstances.

Would you not agree that this girl's and others survival has a lot to with

1- God's help and the human desire and will to survive.

2- And being beneath all the rubble and debris, the dehydration process slows down incredibly due to lack of movement.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
How long can you live without water - Did some research and apparently a human can go between 8 and 14 days without water depending on certain circumstances.

Would you not agree that this girl's and others survival has a lot to with

1- God's help and the human desire and will to survive.

2- And being beneath all the rubble and debris, the dehydration process slows down incredibly due to lack of movement.

Irrelevant in this case apparently (at least point #2)...

According to the news I watched this morning this young teenager was trapped, relatively unhurt, in a bathroom of her destroyed house and had access to water.

Unless the news is wrong...

Gregg

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I was always told that on average a human could survive;

3 minutes without oxygen
3 days without water
3 months without food

As for point 1 - yes I agree humans survive some incredible ordeals especially when confronted with the alternative.

God's help? Maybe so - perhaps he is feeling guilty.
Maybe this is the same god that caused/sanctioned this disaster?
.After all, it has his prints all over it - definitely on the biblical side, but more Old Testament than New.

A truly sad effect of this disaster is that a lot of Haitians blame themselves.They beleive that God was punishing them for their wickedness.
On average they are some of the least wicked people I have met.

Taking advantage of this sad effect are (according to a previous link) evangelist ministers making hay while the sun shines and finding new followers by the tent-load.

For me, this will be one of the most damaging long term effects.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

3 minutes without oxygen
3 days without water
3 months without food

As for point 1 - yes I agree humans survive some incredible ordeals especially when confronted with the alternative.

.After all, it has his prints all over it - definitely on the biblical side, but more Old Testament than New.

A truly sad effect of this disaster is that a lot of Haitians blame themselves.They beleive that God was punishing them for their wickedness.

Taking advantage of this sad effect are (according to a previous link) evangelist ministers making hay while the sun shines and finding new followers by the tent-load.

I say "God Bless...." and you immediately start preaching - why don't we stick to the topic at hand?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
actually we were writing at the same time. I had not read your post when I wrote mine.
And I answered his numbered questions - the topic at hand.

I can see how you might be quite sensitive about this, but Chip, it is not always about you.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

3 minutes without oxygen
3 days without water
3 months without food

The most famous one of the preachers Pat Robertson said that Haiti is to blame for this catastrophe because according to him the Haitians made a pact with the devil in order to get rid of the French. He must be smoking some good stuff to state this kind of BS.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The most famous one of the preachers Pat Robertson said that Haiti is to blame for this catastrophe because according to him the Haitians made a pact with the devil in order to get rid of the French. He must be smoking some good stuff to state this kind of BS.

The problems run really deep in Haiti.

It is a superstitious place at the best of times what with VouDou and Christianity, but what makes it worse is the beleif that God will protect them.

Does anybody remember this?

BBC NEWS | Americas | 'All we could use was our hands'

The school was built and extended by a Priest, illegally.
He had the arrogance to ignore best practice and placed his faith not in rebar (and the safety of his students) but in God.
While these terrible people manage to convince Haitians that God's will has a bearing on whether someone lives or dies, nobody will take responsibility for their own lives or anybody else's.

It is very destructive.

Shameful exploitation, in my opinion.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
actually we were writing at the same time. I had not read your post when I wrote mine.
And I answered his numbered questions - the topic at hand.

I can see how you might be quite sensitive about this, but Chip, it is not always about you.

Actually, mine was almost an hour before your. Nonetheless, we have some good news that someone was saved and instead of being positive this thread looks like it's headed south.

I only think it's fair that the prohibition of preaching be applied to all, believer, agnostic and atheist alike.

Reactions: Berzin

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
This thread is not heading south just because you do not like my opinion.

The fact is that superstition and the peddlers of such nonsense cause great damage in Haiti.
They love Haiti as it is fertile ground.

That is my point.

I have just spent the last week trying to convince a 4 year old and a 6 year old that I inherited, that God had nothing to do with this and No!, they did nothing wrong to cause this.

What would you tell these 2 young Christians Chip?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Its unfair to say Haiti's problems are caused by religion (and probably against various laws).

However we know their problems are related to their culture. Religion certainly plays a part in shaping culture.

quite how i have no idea.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Another miraculous recovery, makes no difference whether it was divine providence or not. Let hope this person lives a long and healthy life, while contributing positively to Haiti's recovery.

miloco

Sep 7, 2006
don't get into a tizzy

As of now neither God nor Satan have appeared in the situation room (CNN)... Wolf Blitzer would have been all over it like a cougar on a crippled chicken. I think that its unjust to assume that personal beliefs can justify certain situationswhile at the same time denying the actual survivors the right to express their own beliefs.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I think that its unjust to assume that personal beliefs can justify certain situationswhile at the same time denying the actual survivors the right to express their own beliefs.

I agree. But how do you explain that equal size populations with almost equal amounts of land on the same island have such different standards of living?

perhaps you attribute it to the color of their skin?

aside from culture & beliefs i'm not sure what else is left.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If we might get back to the subject of lengthy survival periods...........I'm sure many will recall Naqsha Bibi, the Pakistani woman, buried in rubble for 63 days after the October 2005 Kashmir earthquake.
Quake survivor amazes doctors

This lady survived but did suffer some degree of brain damage after the earthquake and now lives at an Edhi home for the homeless, run by Edhi Foundation. In November 2009 some journalists took her back to visit her father. The commentary is not in English but you can see how she is now able to walk, smile etc
Naqsha Bibi returns home

And for once Wiki is useful because it has a long letter from an attending physician:
Naqsha Bibi

The Clear Enigma

Oct 24, 2009
The survival instincts of the human body should never cease to amaze us!!, the brain included for those who doubt their intelects longevity.:cheeky:

Jan 3, 2003
Its unfair to say Haiti's problems are caused by religion (and probably against various laws).

However we know their problems are related to their culture. Religion certainly plays a part in shaping culture.

quite how i have no idea.

Would you extend the same courtesy if Haiti was an economic powerhouse attributing their economic and financial prowess to their tribal African religions, their cultural biases which now you use as a cause for their failure?

I doubt that.