Shipping a television to the DR

dennydee08818

Jan 29, 2010
Does anyone know how much is the tax for shipping a nice size tv to the DR. Or is it better for me to just buy the tv here? If so, where do the sell televisions at good prices?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Buy the tv here.

Where are you located? Helps to make recommendations on where to buy if we know where you are.

dennydee08818

Jan 29, 2010
Buy the tv here.

Where are you located? Helps to make recommendations on where to buy if we know where you are.

I am in Santiago. But, I will go where they have the best prices (ie., Santo Domingo) I just have no idea where to start there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Send a PM to Hillbilly and ask him the best place to buy a
TV in Santiago. There isn't anything about Santiago that he doesn't know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HAHAH....PriceSmart and OCHOA probably. LAMA and Corripio...You have to shop around.

Also check out RadioCentro.

The issue with shipping one here is the Customs,,,,they can charge you whatever they want...and the hassle to get it. Even if you send it by one of the Couriers...

One option is to have it sent as part of a box, but that limits you size. The boxes are brought in on a flat rate--perhaps 75$ to 100$ depending on where they come from..No cusptoms...We got our fridge that way and made out like bandits...

So, the long and short of it is:

1) If you have "people" in the states that can put together a box for you (all Dominican families know how to do this) you can probably get a good TV at a decent price.
2) If not, shop around for the best prices at the places I have indicated. If you don't know where they are, just hollar.

HB

dennydee08818

Jan 29, 2010
Well, I was thinking of hpping a flight to Miami and going and getting one and bringing it back with me on my return flight. I had already checked out the prices at all the stores that HillBilly said except Corripio. Pricesmart had a good one but, I know I can get a bigger one for less money in the states.

If I have one shipped it will most likely be coming out of Los Angeles because I have a guy there that sells cheap televisions and I also know a company that ships by air into Santiago's airport. I am just concerned about the tax because they stuck it to me real hard once before when I shipped my own clothing out here before.

Now, my new question is, are there any places in Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata that might have tvs cheaper than you could find in Santiago? If so, where?

Also, thank you to everyone who has helped out so far.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I am in Santiago. But, I will go where they have the best prices (ie., Santo Domingo) I just have no idea where to start there.

take a suggestion from experience....buy one here at one of the larger stores...mine is from plaza lama in sd...the money you will save trying to get from states is not worth the hastle,and in the long run will save you money...especially if you ever need service,or warrantee service.
and the prices here are coming down...LG 32 inch was under 30,000 pesos the other day.
bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well, I was thinking of hpping a flight to Miami and going and getting one and bringing it back with me on my return flight. I had already checked out the prices at all the stores that HillBilly said except Corripio. Pricesmart had a good one but, I know I can get a bigger one for less money in the states.
The one you see there already have the taxes and duty built in.

Take the TV you see in the states and add about 40+% to it, then add shipping. That would be the equivalent cost in the DR.

BTW-it's difficult to "fool" DR Adaunas. They know the exact value of everything they see.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I will add to Cobraboy's remark and say from personal experience that Customs will use what ever price they want to charge you their excessive duties and fees. They will almost certainly not use the discounted price that you paid. I used TransExpress to bring in a TV and saved about $150 over buying it here while I expected to save over $300. There was a thread by Shalena a while back about how she imported two TVs from NY. She used a company that either got lucky or had better "connections" with customs and did not appear to get ripped off.
I bought a cheap microwave for $80 at Sam's Club for some nuns and brought it down on my own plane to POP.

Customs wanted to charge me RD$7000 for it. I called bullspit, and told them I was going to put it back on my plane. I did. They were shocked and offered to let it in for RD$2000. I said no and put it back.

They figure once stuff is here they have you by the balls. And generally do.

Jan 5, 2006
The cheapest way to get TVs into the country is using one of the door to door shippers in the NYC area.

32" tv at your door for $300
42" tv at your door for $400

Your purchase is tax free, if you have the shipping company pick up directly at the store, as it is for direct export, and therefor not subject to sales tax.

The Clear Enigma

Oct 24, 2009
My friend enough already with complicating your life,life is already complicated as it is.Save yourself time,aggravation,and maybe feeling like whale excrement which is very low,(at the bottom of the ocean) when if you send it via air freight, you find out it was damaged,and maybe you'll have to pay a ridiculous amount of duty on top. So just go to any of the stores Hillbilly recommended and purchase your much desired TV ,LED I would reccond.

dennydee08818

Jan 29, 2010
The cheapest way to get TVs into the country is using one of the door to door shippers in the NYC area.

32" tv at your door for $300
42" tv at your door for $400

Your purchase is tax free, if you have the shipping company pick up directly at the store, as it is for direct export, and therefor not subject to sales tax.

Are these the shipping prices or are these the import tax? Also, no one has any idea of any stores in Santo Domingo that might have plasmas at cool prices?

dennydee08818

Jan 29, 2010
So I take it that no one in this thread knows anything about buying merchandise in Santo Dominigo? Thanks for your help anyways.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
So I take it that no one in this thread knows anything about buying merchandise in Santo Dominigo? Thanks for your help anyways.

plaza lama has always had the best prices,and have specials all the time...Pricesmart also has plenty of lcd and plazma tvs,but seem to be a bit more expensive.Beyond that,many many smaller stores and outlets have flat screen tvs.
what else do you need????
bob

dennydee08818

Jan 29, 2010
Actually, Pricemart has the best prices on televisions. I am asking if anyone knows any places in Santo Domingo because I am trying to get the best price I can for a nice size flat screen. I have been to plaza lama, Jumbo, La Sirena and about every other spot I could think of in Santiago. I am trying to find out if maybe somewhere in Santo Domingo has better prices. I can actually quote you prices from all the stores because I was looking around before I even posted my first message.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I just did a quick comparison:

Plaza Lama has the Sony 46" M/KDL46S5100 1080p HD TV for about $2,400
Best buy has it for $1,659

That's a pretty BIG difference!!! $741

If I am going to pay that much to get it down there I rather take my chances with shipping.