Haiti- What does the future hold?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Haiti- What does the future hold?

I am sure I am not the only one who is pondering about Haiti?s future after this massive earthquake. The 7.0 earthquake on July 12th destroyed the city of Port-au-Prince, and essentially the country which showed some signs of progress economically for the first time in decades.

The international attention on Haiti since the natural disaster has been unprecedented with an out poor of financial and social support. It?s obvious that the destruction caused will have massive repercussions as time goes by and they will not only be felt in Haiti but also in the Dominican Republic.

The gesture of support from its neighbouring country cannot be overlooked. The Dominican Republic, a developing country with high levels of poverty in its own right has shown its solidarity in the midst of a historical strained relationship between the two nations. Only time well tell how this recent disaster will impact the DR.

I am glad I came across this article today in the Gazette because for the past two weeks I have been asking myself the burning question: When the international focus on Haiti shifts, what?s going to happen to the country and what are the leaders both local and international going to do to rebuild the country in the midst of the problems that have and will stem from this recent natural disaster? Millions of Haitians are homeless, children have become orphans, hunger is the order of the day for many, and social disorder and unrest is rising once again just to mention a few of the problems that come to mind etc.

The article is just the writer?s opinion but I am sure many agree, disagree or have similar thoughts.

(Blame the U.S. and France for Haiti's woes)

I believe Haiti?s problems are buried deep in its past more so political and economic rather than cultural (as mentioned in many threads) but then again I am an outsider looking in. The vision and perspective I have will always be different vs. the opinion of Haitians and foreigners who actually live there. One aspect I know for sure is the internal struggle of the masses is probably going be the worst ever in its modern history. Some aspects of the past are definitely factors but like with any failed endeavour how far back do you go to analyze or find the root of the problem? Going back two hundred years and stating that?s the reason is neither the sole cause nor premise from which to begin in my opinion. I believe modern day events; let?s say fifty years back play a huge role in Haiti being a failed nation.

Once again this article gives me the opportunity to reflect accordingly and I will continue to do so as time goes by and Haiti begins its long recovery phase.

Any recent photo from any newspaper gives a clear picture of what Haitians in Port-au-Prince and neighbouring cities or towns are experiencing. It?s going to be an uphill battled going forward (to say the very least).

Source Canada.com

Haiti Quake

2w30zs4.jpg

24guof9.jpg

-MP.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The explotation of Haiti certainly didn't help. However, the fact remain during their independence that they massacred or exiled 99% of all who knew how to manage the land and run business and since then have barely lived above a tribal existence since then. To wit, the Haitan invaders of the DR made the farmers in Cibao give them food because nary a generation after their independence they had already mismanaged some of the most productive land the world has ever seen. Also, they have consistently rejected Western influence to their own demise and is reflected today in the poorest of the poor's prejudice towards foreigners - this I found out on my recent trip to Haiti.

At this point, Haiti's future hold promise to be brighter than it ever has been before. They need to accept the the foreigners with open arms and do all to encourage them to stay and invest. I hope they do the right thing.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
They will move away from PaP.

A new capital will arise in CdH

About 500K will flood the DR, pillaging as they go

This is not a good thing

Please can you tell me the lottery numbers for next week.
And also exactly what day the next tropical storm will arrive.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2008
Chip's comment about "hold promise to be brighter than it ever has been before"
is just a dream, before the earthquake BILLIONS of $$ was poured into Haiti and NOTHING came out of it, this also will be the same case, 3-4 months and it will be
"disorder as usual".
The only up side on this is the DR will be taking advantage of its proximity, this would be a great time to balance the budget, will all the foreign aid help coming in, if the DR wants to set their country on the "Black" this is the time, but then again the politicians will only be filling their pockets and of that their mistresses.

Mar 1, 2009
I'll try not to be so insensitive this time and be brief and be more optimistic than my last analysis where I was labeled cold hearted;

Full reconstruction of PAP, infrastructure, roads, water, electricty able to reach at least 95% of the remaining and returning population.
Plenty of jobs and more created in the reconstruction efforts, where the average Haitian will be paid at least $8USD a day, as opposed to the $2USD a day currently available.

A larger, professionally trained (which it already is), highly paid Haitian Police force

The new capital will be located in a place free of earthquakes as well as jobs in governance and business. Brasil transferred it's capital from Rio to Brasilia 60 years ago and it was a success. New buildings, roads, and it's being closer to the dominican border will create a dynamism and synergy that will also spur economic growth as well as closer ties to the DR!

Haitians and foreign investors will flow to haiti and enable the nascent "Haitian miracle", Haiti will finally turn the corner as schools, universities and other technical schools open up allowing the majority of the population to catch up educationally.

Literacy will be at 95%

Tourism will increase.

The economy of Haiti will grow to such an unprecedented degree that many Haitians in the DR will leave and contribute to the growth of their country, and the DR will finally realize the important contributions made by los hermanos Haitianos. Hairdressers, gallineros, vendedores de tarjeta Orange, plataneros will leave their dwellings in DR and go back to Ayiti.

Dominican's will ask themselves why they aren't getting a cut of that and start to flock to Haiti. Haitians will get upset that these interlopers are there illegally, start deporting them and sadly be called rascists by the international community.

Reforestion efforts will employ a substantial amount of people and food production will also begin it's march forward.

Renewable energy companies will bring solar, aeolic, wind and hydrolic power to the people.

With the proper steps the future for Haiti may just be very, very bright. I just convinced myself it could happen.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I'll try not to be so insensitive this time and be brief and be more optimistic than my last analysis where I was labeled cold hearted;

Full reconstruction of PAP, infrastructure, roads, water, electricty able to reach at least 95% of the remaining and returning population.
Plenty of jobs and more created in the reconstruction efforts, where the average Haitian will be paid at least $8USD a day, as opposed to the $2USD a day currently available.

A larger, professionally trained (which it already is), highly paid Haitian Police force

The new capital will be located in a place free of earthquakes as well as jobs in governance and business. Brasil transferred it's capital from Rio to Brasilia 60 years ago and it was a success. New buildings, roads, and it's being closer to the dominican border will create a dynamism and synergy that will also spur economic growth as well as closer ties to the DR!

Haitians and foreign investors will flow to haiti and enable the nascent "Haitian miracle", Haiti will finally turn the corner as schools, universities and other technical schools open up allowing the majority of the population to catch up educationally.

Literacy will be at 95%

Tourism will increase.

The economy of Haiti will grow to such an unprecedented degree that many Haitians in the DR will leave and contribute to the growth of their country, and the DR will finally realize the important contributions made by los hermanos Haitianos. Hairdressers, gallineros, vendedores de tarjeta Orange, plataneros will leave their dwellings in DR and go back to Ayiti.

Dominican's will ask themselves why they aren't getting a cut of that and start to flock to Haiti. Haitians will get upset that these interlopers are there illegally, start deporting them and sadly be called rascists by the international community.

Reforestion efforts will employ a substantial amount of people and food production will also begin it's march forward.

Renewable energy companies will bring solar, aeolic, wind and hydrolic power to the people.

With the proper steps the future for Haiti may just be very, very bright. I just convinced myself it could happen.

This put a smile on my face.
It is important to maintain a sense of humour in the midst of this nightmare.
Thanks for that.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Haiti has to take into consideration that another quake (at anytime) is possible...

I think Haiti's future really is anyone's guess right now. I still feel the leaders meaning the government and the international community really don't have a definite game plan as they continue to assess the impact, clean up the damage, house the homeless, find homes for children who are now orphans while Haitians try to get back to a 'routine' life in Port-au-Prince.

Today marks three weeks since the quake and the situation is still chaotic which is expected and it will be for a while. I don't think Haitians will see any plans as to what exactly is going to happen with rebuilding the city for months even years. The focus will be just surviving day to day because the devastation was so vast, unexpected and without any back up plans by the government for a natural disaster of this magnitude.

I think before any short term plan is decided by Preval and international leaders, they need to seriously consider this study which will be presented to them today. After reading the article, I think there is cause for great concern with the possibility of another quake looming (the time frame is unknown but they should assume sooner than later). Haiti really needs to work diligently with foreign experts from other countries who have experience in rebuilding cities after severe natural disasters.

This is a great article posted in The Gazette yesterday:

Haiti warned to brace for another big quake

Lando calrisian's post represents what Haiti should have accomplished decades ago. However, now in light of the most recent disaster once again this country has been set back in time and it's anyone's guess for how long.

Recent pictures taken by a photographer from The Gazette on Jan 30, 2010 show the current state of devastation after three weeks:

ei9jrk.jpg

xohybp.jpg

Here is a brief comment in my mini blog:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/blogs/marianopolita/458-article-possibility-another-big-quake-haiti.html

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
How do Haitians feel?

Well, well look at this. The opinions of some Haitians, or better said the sentiment of a segment of the population would like either Hugo Chavez, Obama or Fidel Castro to be the leader of their country. Many are disappointed with Preval's response after the earthquake. I mentioned my disbelief in another thread. Once again as an outsider looking in, it seems to me that the Haitian government is very nonchalant, sort of letting the world take over and control them, which further destroys the faith of Haitians regarding its government's ability to lead.

24b6w3q.jpg

However, these three leaders are who they admire? Especially two who come across as modern day 'mano dura' style and the other only time will tell. Would any of these leaders help change Haiti for the better? You know how the saying goes in Spanish- 'no es lo mismo llamar al diablo que verlo llegar'.

Here is the brief article in today's Montreal Gazette:

Disenchanted Haitians long for a Chavez, an Obama or a Castro

-MP.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
However, these three leaders are who they admire? Especially two who come across as modern day 'mano dura' style and the other only time will tell. Would any of these leaders help change Haiti for the better? You know how the saying goes in Spanish- 'no es lo mismo llamar al diablo que verlo llegar'.
-MP.

Why does it have to be a choice between these three idiots?

24b6w3q.jpg

Haiti had an excellent person doing good work for the nation-he had some excellent ideas and did everything possible to implement them. Unfortunately, since his efforts rankled the power elites, he was murdered.

I doubt anyone will actually go out of their way to see this film-it would change some minds about what they THINK they know about Haiti.

Jean L?opold Dominique-

3bur9.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, well look at this. The opinions of some Haitians, or better said the sentiment of a segment of the population would like either Hugo Chavez, Obama or Fidel Castro to be the leader of their country. Many are disappointed with Preval's response after the earthquake. I mentioned my disbelief in another thread. Once again as an outsider looking in, it seems to me that the Haitian government is very nonchalant, sort of letting the world take over and control them, which further destroys the faith of Haitians regarding its government's ability to lead.

24b6w3q.jpg

Here is the brief article in today's Montreal Gazette:

Disenchanted Haitians long for a Chavez, an Obama or a Castro

-MP.
No wonder Haiti is F--ked, if the general population think the above three are great leaders. One only has to ask if any of these three meet the following criteria: They rule justly, They encourage economic freedom, and they invest in their people. The jury is still out on Obama. Chavez and Castro failed miserably.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No wonder Haiti is F--ked, if the general population think the above three are great leaders. One only has to ask if any of these three meet the following criteria: They rule justly, They encourage economic freedom, and they invest in their people. The jury is still out on Obama. Chavez and Castro failed miserably.

Well with any luck Obama will be available in 2012

May 29, 2006
If Haiti could come even close to these stats in the next 20 years, it would be the greatest recovery of all time.

UNICEF - Cuba - Statistics

The infant mortality rate is lower in Cuba than the US, but you knew that already, right?

====

Oh, who is it that the DR owes the most money to? What? It's not the US? It's Venezuela? And Venezuela just forgave Haiti its $US 290 million debt which is about a third of their total debt? Geez you're right. Losers...

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...la-becomes-Dominican-Republics-major-creditor

Venezuela's Chavez Forgives Haiti's Debt | venezuelanalysis.com

Haitians know what side of the bread is buttered, even if they don't have any bread...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If Haiti could come even close to these stats in the next 20 years, it would be the greatest recovery of all time.

UNICEF - Cuba - Statistics

The infant mortality rate is lower in Cuba than the US, but you knew that already, right?

====

QUOTE]

American stats are done different than Cuba's - do the research. Cuba says it has the best medical system in the world but I've experienced it first hand, have Cuban relatives, and I've yet to see an American swiming towards Cuba. Don't believe Castro's propoganda, and the Venezuelan site you picked is a government organ. The Unfulfilled Promises of Hugo Chavez | Venezuela News, [/url] http://alekboyd.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
The real question would be are there Haitians swimming to Cuba? I've known plenty of Dominicans that go to Cuba for health care or get it from Cuban doctors.

Infant mortality rate is based on UNICEF...

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The real question would be are there Haitians swimming to Cuba? I've known plenty of Dominicans that go to Cuba for health care or get it from Cuban doctors.

I've seen Haitians in Santiago de Cuba, and I simply don't believe you when you say many Dominicans go to Cuba for health Care. I believe they get it from Cuban Doctors- in the DR, as there are many in the DR. The question should be; with Cuba's vaunted Medical system and superior Hospitals, why are they not transporting Haitians by the thousands to Cuba. I know there are many Cuban doctors and health care workers that were already in Haiti before the earthquake.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The real question would be are there Haitians swimming to Cuba?

All that tells us is that things are better in Cuba that in Haiti.

Unfortunately, so are most other places in the world.

No doubt many head there because of the close proximity and because they already have a family member there. I wonder too how Haitans deal with the racist Cuban attitudes that are common.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The question should be; with Cuba's vaunted Medical system and superior Hospitals, why are they not transporting Haitians by the thousands to Cuba. I know there are many Cuban doctors and health care workers that were already in Haiti before the earthquake.

I predict no response. Ignoring incovenient truths makes them go away apparently.