Cheap Hotel in colonial zone

Jan 29, 2010
I will be spending a night in santo domingo next week, I would like to find an affordable place to sleep for a night in the colonial zone area, I will sleep there for the night then I will get a cab to terrabuss ehere i will then be on my merry way to P-a-P. Any suggestions

Ps I am coming from SDQ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

These 2 hotels are low priced hotels, but are not in the Colonial Zone.
OP is arriving late and is basically looking for a safe, secure place to sleep for one night. OP has no intentions of sight seeing in ZC. If someone knows where a hotel is close to Terra Bus Depot might help in the OP's hotel search.

Better yet would be if someone could post detailed info on how to get from SDQ to PAP.

Hi,

I have a flight departing from Ft lauderdale to santo domingo, where I would then somehow cross the border into haiti. It is my first time going to the DR, therefore I have no clue on how to get to the bus station, where I would catch a bus to Haiti. My departing flight is at 6 :10 pm , arriving in DR at 9 : 30 pm, would they be any type of transportation available at the time. Any tips or help would be greatly appeciated

Tue, Feb 09 Fort Lauderdale/Miami Area (FLL) Departs: 6:10 PM
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) Arrives: 9:20 PM

For special request please email me at jeromes7@my.pbbc.edu

Thank you so much

Jan 29, 2010
thx Big bird

Thank you < Big Bird> For the clarification ;)

Im coming from Ft lauderdale and will be arriving, so therefore I am to slep overnight in order to catch a bus next morning to PAP . My preference would be to find a Hotel near any bus station that travels to haiti( caribe, capitol,terrabus) or in colonial zone where I was told was safe for a first time traveler. My whole concern is to be able to get to a Bus stop.

Thank you for your future reply :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......Im coming from Ft lauderdale and will be arriving, so therefore I am to slep overnight in order to catch a bus next morning to PAP ........

I am sorry but I have no idea where the Terra bus depot is. I found this information at T1 but not sure how accurate it is.

Terra Bus Service
Plaza Criolla - 27 de Febrero &
Anacoana
Santo Domingo
Telephone (809) 472-1080

You should be able to get to any bus depot in Santo Domingo Centro for no more than 200 pesos, but be sure to ask before entering the taxi. If quoted a higher rate just walk away.

Just about any hotel in Zona Colonial or Gascue will be safe. There are clean and safe hotels less than Hotel La Residence ($25 a night) but they don't have websites. Residence or LaDanae should be fine for one night. It would be wise to call them, or have a Spanish speaking person call to confirm your late night arrival.

Taxi from the airport to Santo Domingo centro will cost about $40 USD. Don't take a cab from the guys whispering in your ear "need taxi". Take the official airport taxi. The taxi accepts USD and the hotel will accept USD also. Only pesos you will need will be for bus fare, taxi, and any other purchases.

Within a block of Residence or Danae you will find a colmado for water, soda, and snacks.

Hopefully someone will read your thread and give better information on catching a bus to PAP.

This is a link to Caribe Tours as I believe they also have bus service to Haiti. http://www.caribetours.com.do/

Best of luck on your journey to Haiti..........

Jan 29, 2010
I am sorry but I have no idea where the Terra bus depot is. I found this information at T1 but not sure how accurate it is.

Terra Bus Service
Plaza Criolla - 27 de Febrero &
Anacoana
Santo Domingo
Telephone (809) 472-1080

You should be able to get to any bus depot in Santo Domingo Centro for no more than 200 pesos, but be sure to ask before entering the taxi. If quoted a higher rate just walk away.

Just about any hotel in Zona Colonial or Gascue will be safe. There are clean and safe hotels less than Hotel La Residence ($25 a night) but they don't have websites. Residence or LaDanae should be fine for one night. It would be wise to call them, or have a Spanish speaking person call to confirm your late night arrival.

Taxi from the airport to Santo Domingo centro will cost about $40 USD. Don't take a cab from the guys whispering in your ear "need taxi". Take the official airport taxi. The taxi accepts USD and the hotel will accept USD also. Only pesos you will need will be for bus fare, taxi, and any other purchases.

Within a block of Residence or Danae you will find a colmado for water, soda, and snacks.

Hopefully someone will read your thread and give better information on catching a bus to PAP.

This is a link to Caribe Tours as I believe they also have bus service to Haiti. Caribe Tours C. Por A.

Best of luck on your journey to Haiti..........

Thanks again,

I was also considering Hotel Discovery , I emailed the owner and he quoted me 38 USD for the night , with tax and Breakfast included.
Should I stay at Residence or Discovery?
should I call taxidominicana or appolo? apolo quoted $28 and TD quoted $30
your inputs will be appreciated!!!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thanks again,

I was also considering Hotel Discovery , I emailed the owner and he quoted me 38 USD for the night , with tax and Breakfast included.

In my opinion Apolo is the most reliable taxi service in Santo Domiingo.
When I need a taxi (if my car is in the shop) I only call Apolo. I've never been disappointed with Apolo and I've never heard of Taxidominicana.

Are you talking about the Hotel Residence City on Jos? Contreras in the Zona Universitaria? If so I know the owner and it's a good budget hotel. I don't know the rates.

Hotel Discovery is a good budget hotel in the Zona Colonial.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks again,

Apolo has a great reputation so does Taxi Dominicana, give either one a call.

Hotel Discovery would be an excellent choice. There is a restaurant Pacos, (now called Grands), a short block away from Discovery and open 24 hours.

Please be sure to check if Caribe Tours has bus service to Haiti. They have comfortable buses, but be sure to have a jacket as they love to use the A/C. ;)

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
I had a friend stay at the Hotel Monumental in Zona Colonial for $25 per night and it was very clean and safe.

Hotel Monumental
One of the newest hotels in the Colonial Zone just opened February 2008. The location is perfect, directly on Calle el Conde in the center of all the action. The rooms are medium priced and very clean. Each of the 25 rooms have a double bed with cable television, air conditioning, hot water and 24 hour electric. The owners and staff are very friendly and welcoming and will make you feel right at home. There is a small balcony off the office where you can watch the people passing by below in the Conde street.
Location: Calle El Conde #355 on the second floor, Zona Colonial, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Jan 29, 2010
I would to thank all of the DR1 menbers who replied for being so courteous and informative . I have painted a pretty good picture of what the trip would be like:
Onve I arrive , I will contact appolo . I will be satying at either Discovery, residence or at Hotel Monumental, I will have my Dominican friend give them a call tomorow, Follow ups will be made based from the initial hotel reservation, I ll keep you folks posted :)

BIG THANK YOU TO ALL

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Based on it being #2 on TripAdvisor I booked 6 nights at Coco Boutique Hotel. The price is $85 per night with breakfast. I like what all the reviews had to say and I like that it is an intimate place vs those big hotel chains.
You can google their site, their email is on the website & they were very prompt at responding.
Now my dad lives in Santo Domingo and we will be in DR long enough to spend time with family & dad can be a bit overbearing so I want 1 or 2 days to myself where my hubby & I can enjoy the Zona Colonial. Speaking to friends that are from there they've scared me about how unsafe it might be in that area. Anyone been there very recently who can tell me if my husband (his 1st time to DR) & I should be paranoid about even pulling out the digital camera to take photos?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Based on it being #2 on TripAdvisor I booked 6 nights at Coco Boutique Hotel. The price is $85 per night with breakfast. I like what all the reviews had to say and I like that it is an intimate place vs those big hotel chains.
You can google their site, their email is on the website & they were very prompt at responding.
Now my dad lives in Santo Domingo and we will be in DR long enough to spend time with family & dad can be a bit overbearing so I want 1 or 2 days to myself where my hubby & I can enjoy the Zona Colonial. Speaking to friends that are from there they've scared me about how unsafe it might be in that area. Anyone been there very recently who can tell me if my husband (his 1st time to DR) & I should be paranoid about even pulling out the digital camera to take photos?

not knowing where your from, I live near the Zona Colonial and so do several other members, can't remember the last time I felt unsafe there day or night. I walk all over the colonial zone and have never had a problem. with the camera just keep hold of it, and be careful crossing streets, you have more to fear from the cars than anything else. lots of restaurants, and other things to look at.

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
bienamor you were right. we enjoyed and felt very safe at zona colonial day & night and the hotel was the best hotel I've stayed at in my life.