PUJ to Guayacanes - best way?

spikemom

Dec 30, 2009
My family will vacation in Guayacanes soon. My son flies into PUJ from Toronto (it was the only way). What is the best way to get to Playa Esmeralda in Guayacances? The hotel advises he should take the bus but gave no details except that it would cost $85US. Is the plane a viable option? I understand Air Century has a 6 PM fight to SDQ. Does it really cost only $45US? Would he be able to make a 6 PM flight after landing at 4:30, picking up luggage, and clearing customs in PUJ?
What about a taxi? Could anyone recommend a specific driver for arrangements? And what should it cost?
And then, the bus - is it really a viable option? The hotel said you could ask to be let off at the Playa Esmeralda but gave no details on how to get the bus.
Lastly there is a transfer service that costs $165. Quite a lot of money, but recommended?
Thanks so much for your local knowledge!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
My family will vacation in Guayacanes soon. My son flies into PUJ from Toronto (it was the only way). What is the best way to get to Playa Esmeralda in Guayacances? The hotel advises he should take the bus but gave no details except that it would cost $85US. Is the plane a viable option? I understand Air Century has a 6 PM fight to SDQ. Does it really cost only $45US? Would he be able to make a 6 PM flight after landing at 4:30, picking up luggage, and clearing customs in PUJ?
What about a taxi? Could anyone recommend a specific driver for arrangements? And what should it cost?
And then, the bus - is it really a viable option? The hotel said you could ask to be let off at the Playa Esmeralda but gave no details on how to get the bus.
Lastly there is a transfer service that costs $165. Quite a lot of money, but recommended?
Thanks so much for your local knowledge!

Contact Dre Broeders, he's also on this forum and lives 3 minutes from Playa Esmeralda. He does airport pick ups and excursions and is very dependable.
I hope by the time you arrive that the hotel is finished because they're still working on it. www.guesthouseholland.com

Last edited:

spikemom

Dec 30, 2009
Frank - Thanks for the info. I am getting apprehensive about the Esmeralda, althoguh we have had two previous stays there that were very enjoyable. They have added some pictures to their website that make it appear that they have totally enclosed their restaurant and bar, which were open on two sides and a big part of the charm of the hotel.
Is the url you included in your email a hint that I should look elsewhere?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well you could get a taxi from the airport - around 150 US$ i think. The flight would be a good option - if you are sure it lands at SDQ las americas and not La Isabella as that is nearly as far as Punta Cana in the other direction!!

The bus would take you to Higuey, la Romana and then San Pedro where you could get a bus to Guayacanes.

Not sure that is too much help!!

spikemom

Dec 30, 2009
That is helpful, thanks. I thought from reading other posts that the bus was not that easy, not sure why the hotel suggests it so blithely. And thanks for reminder that flight needs to be to SDQ to be practical.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Frank - Thanks for the info. I am getting apprehensive about the Esmeralda, althoguh we have had two previous stays there that were very enjoyable. They have added some pictures to their website that make it appear that they have totally enclosed their restaurant and bar, which were open on two sides and a big part of the charm of the hotel.
Is the url you included in your email a hint that I should look elsewhere?

No it was not a hint it was just for you to get some more info about Dre.