VISA Gift Cards?

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
I NEVER use my credit card there or indeed anywhere outide of the usa ( and it can certainly happen here too).. instead I take those visa gift cards with me, maybe a few in denominations of $100 or $50 whre ever I go- and usethem. If I get stung for 50 I'm upset but not going to lose sleep over it ruining my credit and fighting wiht overseas banks...

I was thinking of getting a few VISA gift cards before my trip but I wasn't sure if they work outside of the USA. I too was thinking I could carry 1 or 2 per night no higher than $50 value so as to not carry cash around with me. I'm worried about getting robbed in person in addition to credit card fraud. But I don't want to go thru with buying the cards and then finding out they don't work in DR or if the merchants will refuse them because my name will not be on it. Anyone have any experience/advice on this?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have a prepaid visa that you can get anywhere in the states. I have my son go to a loading station and deposit what I need beforehand. The load stations are everywhere in the U.S. so it's really not an inconvienience for him. It is accepted everywhere here and the most that could ever be taken is the amount that is actually on the card. It has your name on it and I have never had a problem in 4 years. Get 2 or 3 different cards with a low amount on each.

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Not prepaid VISA but gift credit card Visa

Oh no, no, no I have NO access to a prepaid visa. I was referring to visa gift cards that function as credit cards only. I am overseas in Germany (husband is in the US Army) and the stores inside the US Army base carry a bunch of those visa & mastercard gift cards which one can buy in $25, $50 or $100 increments. They are just gift cards with either the visa or MC logo but they are generic for gift giving so they have no names on it. I read the back of it but I fear they might not be of use outside of the USA.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Oh no, no, no I have NO access to a prepaid visa. I was referring to visa gift cards that function as credit cards only. I am overseas in Germany (husband is in the US Army) and the stores inside the US Army base carry a bunch of those visa & mastercard gift cards which one can buy in $25, $50 or $100 increments. They are just gift cards with either the visa or MC logo but they are generic for gift giving so they have no names on it. I read the back of it but I fear they might not be of use outside of the USA.

Didn't realise you were in Germany.

Feb 7, 2007
If they sell them in Germany, and they are USA-issued, then I suppose they work in Germany. If they work in Germany, they will work in the DR. Ask the clerk to see if it works in Germany, buy maybe a $25 card and make a small purchase. You will find out.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Ex Buys them for my daughter that lives in Finland as far as I know never had a problem with them can always withdraw from and ATM with them then the name won't matter anyway

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
Hello all thanks for your replies. I think everyone keeps thinking I'm talking about prepaid visa cards that one must put money into and use like a debit/bank card.
Not so. The visa gift cards I'm talking about - yes they are USA issued but I've never used one at all.
rubio_higuey- Never used one in Germany or elsewhere. Again they are sold by the cash registers and they don't have a name - other than that they look like a normal visa credit card.
bienamor- these cards I'm referring to I believe can only be used as credit cards as no atm pin comes with them.

I will take a small value one just to try it.
Thanks everybody for your input :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was thinking of getting a few VISA gift cards before my trip but I wasn't sure if they work outside of the USA. I too was thinking I could carry 1 or 2 per night no higher than $50 value so as to not carry cash around with me. I'm worried about getting robbed in person in addition to credit card fraud. But I don't want to go thru with buying the cards and then finding out they don't work in DR or if the merchants will refuse them because my name will not be on it. Anyone have any experience/advice on this?

They will work in the DR but...... very few places accept Visa or any credit card. The larger hotels, some of your better restaurants, large department stores......... and probably a few other places accept CC. Your best bet is to stick with an ATM card and withdraw pesos when needed.

Another problem with the prepaid Visa. Let's say you have a $50 card and you spend $43.99. How do you spend the remaining balance? Forget the gift card............

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
They will work in the DR but...... very few places accept Visa or any credit card. The larger hotels, some of your better restaurants, large department stores......... and probably a few other places accept CC. Your best bet is to stick with an ATM card and withdraw pesos when needed.

Another problem with the prepaid Visa. Let's say you have a $50 card and you spend $43.99. How do you spend the remaining balance? Forget the gift card............

Say what,

McDonalds, burgerking, wendys, KFC, supermarkets, etc most places take credit cards. not counting the gift shops etc. now this is in santo domingo.
And to the OP not sure about the cards that the EX buys working in an ATM but do know that the Daughter can go into any of the banks and do a cash withdraw.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Say what,

McDonalds, burgerking, wendys, KFC, supermarkets, etc most places take credit cards. not counting the gift shops etc. now this is in santo domingo.
And to the OP not sure about the cards that the EX buys working in an ATM but do know that the Daughter can go into any of the banks and do a cash withdraw.
OK, you're right on that. Guess I have been eating too many plato de dia, drinking Presidentes at the colmado, and riding the publico too much,,,,,where a CC is not accepted.;)