safety visiting port au prince?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
a friend who has been doing some relief work in haiti has offered to fly me over to port au prince on one of his helicopters to brainstorm how to effectively distribute the money they have collected for haiti.

i'm open to doing it, but am concerned about risks:
- are vaccines needed now?
- how is security on the ground?
- anything else to consider?

google founders + politicians have gone in apparently without issues, so maybe its ok for a brief visit?

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
Pretty much all jobs on the ground are asking for a minimum of 5 years experience in hostile and disaster zones, I expect that is because it is getting rather heated out there.
I know a few reporters out there at the moment and I have several friends working for the UN who have all reported to me that things just spiral in seconds.
If you are not used to this kind of thing then I'd be tempted to wait until they have things running smoother and people are calmer, less desperate.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My client's cousin supposedly if the police chief of Petonville I believe. If you can't round up something I can call him and see if he can get a detail together for you. Send me a pm.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Yesterday, while flying from SD to Philly, there were a lot of people, emergency crews and contractors hired to build housing for American troops, leaving the Island, for whatever reason and I'm thinking safety..........

From the beginning, I have felt the need for American Troops, for the relief to be successful..............

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
thanks for the responses guys, and i followed up with chip.

i've heard from my friend who lives in PAP, and she says she drives around the city alone (certain areas) and that its safe. so she's going to be our guide.

given she's haitian and lived there almost her entire life, i trust her judgement.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
thanks for the responses guys, and i followed up with chip.

i've heard from my friend who lives in PAP, and she says she drives around the city alone (certain areas) and that its safe. so she's going to be our guide.

given she's haitian and lived there almost her entire life, i trust her judgement.

With a trusted local guide/companion you shouldn't have any problem. Malaria, dengue, typhus etc., are pretty rife there, but again, if you don't go where you shouldn't, don't drink liquids or ice from unconfirmed sources, and don't touch street food, you should be OK in that respect.

Security on the ground? Like everywhere else - Use common sense and remember that there are lots of desperate people around, not only the thousands of escaped criminals.
Bryan

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Some Friends of mine have just returned from Haiti this past weekend. The attached video will show you what they found. Two weeks after the Quake and this area just received help for the first time. No one even knew they were there up until recently. Please take the time to watch it.

YouTube - Water for Haiti E.mp4

Good Luck

OLLY

Reactions: margaret

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
bryan: thanks for the feedback.

olly: nice video, even though it was quite long i watched it all.

21000 euros seemed like a lot for one trip of water, but given that will supply the town with water for 2 months thats great.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Some Friends of mine have just returned from Haiti this past weekend. The attached video will show you what they found. Two weeks after the Quake and this area just received help for the first time. No one even knew they were there up until recently. Please take the time to watch it.

YouTube - Water for Haiti E.mp4

Good Luck

OLLY

I watched that video a few days ago and what struck me was the patience of the people waiting in line for the water. No jostling or shoving, courteously waiting even though it appears to have been the first help they had received. In sharp contrast to some of the media images in downtown PauP. Thank you for posting it.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i spoke also with someone else with a lot of experience in PAP right now and they also confirmed its safe if you stay in the safe zones.

Last edited by a moderator: