Dermatologist for kids

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
My (8monthold) daughter has little red bumps all over. They started on her head, and are working their way around. they are NOT mosquito bites. Went to the doctor on Monday (pediatrician) who told me it was chicken pox. Definitely not chicken pox. WEnt to ANOTHER pediatrician today. She was being assisted by a med student. They argued in front of me about what it was. One said scabies, the other says no "porque escabies se pega" and nobody else in the house has it. The other says mosquitoes.

Anyway, finally they decided that I needed to see a dermatologist. But I'm not up for playing the doctor game. you know, she was an idiot, so probably the guy she recommended is, too. Besides they were gonna send me to the same dermo that told my husband his athlete's foot was "incurable" one day and the next day wanted to scrape it off his foot with a scalpel - I bought him a can of Tenactin and it was gone in a week.

All that to say: does anyone know a good dermatologist? Bonus points if you know a dermatologist who has some experience with babies.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
This is my cousin's pediatrician - es Rosa Cabreja en Alcantara y Gonzalez
809 549-3255 - My cousin says she is really good

Dra. Maritza Rodriguez Centro de Dermatologia y Especialidades Independencia 809 535-6198. This is her dermatologist.

I just noticed you are in Santiago... but maybe you won't mind going to SD.

Good luck wish you the best.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The dermatology clinic at the public hospital Jose Maria Cabral has been pretty good so far, and they only charge RD200 per consultation. It's not located in the main hospital building but behind it towards Ave. Carreras. Plus the medecine they sell there is super cheap. Just ask when you are there.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Chip - thanks, I know where it is. I just didn't know if I should take the baby there. Do you know what the process is ? (ie; go early in the morning to get a turn and wait all day like in the hospital? i don't mind waiting, i've just got to be prepared with a kid in tow!)

ada

Feb 2, 2005
I agree with Chip. The dermatologists there are very good and you can buy the lotions,etc. right there. When I have gone there in the mornings it's been way tooooo crowded. I prefer getting there around 1-2pm and there aren't as many people. You get a number at one window then give some info at the other window then pay at the other window, kind of a pain in the ass and there will be people trying to skip, so make sure you pay attention to everyone. Good luck, I hope the baby gets better.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip - thanks, I know where it is. I just didn't know if I should take the baby there. Do you know what the process is ? (ie; go early in the morning to get a turn and wait all day like in the hospital? i don't mind waiting, i've just got to be prepared with a kid in tow!)

We've gone in the late afternoon (3-4) and hardly even have to wait more than a half hour, which is better than the private clinics.