voy pa'lla... why not me voy pa' lla?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I hear in many songs the short " voy" when I have been told it should be " me voy" Is this commonplace for Dominicans to leave out "me"? for example, in Antony Santos' song" Voy pa ' lla" should it be " me voy pa' lla" , and there's another, I think Luis Vargas called " Santo Domingo" and he says " dondequiera que yo voy" this is all very confusing .... thanks for any assistance...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am definitely not an expert in spanish, but I've always thought that "me voy" is used to say "I am leaving" and voy would be used to say that "I am going" like you said in the Antony Santos song "Voy pa' lla voy a buscar" "I am going from there going to look for" So maybe its the difference of leaving & going??

May 29, 2006
Me voy is "I go myself" by my Spanish teacher too and it means "right now". It's often said "Ya me voy"~ I'm outta here!

Good song for practicing Spanish and very important to the history of the Bachata. I use Bachata all the time to practice. Find a song you like, get the lyrics and translate into English. My most recent favorite is Anoche Sone con Ella, also by Antony Santos:

YouTube - Antony Santos - Anoche Sone Con Ella

==
And afterwards she fell asleep in my arms
and I cried because I felt such happiness
But it was only a beautiful dream
Because she never has the time
to be with me for even a moment
Because she never has the time...

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I hear in many songs the short " voy" when I have been told it should be " me voy" Is this commonplace for Dominicans to leave out "me"? for example, in Antony Santos' song" Voy pa ' lla" should it be " me voy pa' lla" , and there's another, I think Luis Vargas called " Santo Domingo" and he says " dondequiera que yo voy" this is all very confusing .... thanks for any assistance...

The correct way is "Me voy para alla."
Both are slang used in Bachata.

May 29, 2006
Would a Dominican normally say "para alla," or would "p'alla" be the more normal way of saying it? They are always too formal in Spanish courses.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
The person that got it the closest is that person that said that 'voy y me voy' is like 'going and leaving'.

Also, when you say "voy" you are already saying that you are talking about yourself so there is no need to say the "me" in some cases.

ex. Donde vas? voy al salon. Where are you going? I'm going to the salon

Next... how you would use the "me"
Cuando te vas? Me voy el lunes. When are you leaving? I'm leaving Monday.

but if you asked.... Cuando vas a ir? then you say.... Voy el lunes. When are you Going? .... I'm going Monday.

so voy and me voy are both correct.

Anthony Santos is saying.... I'm going over there.... I'm going to look for .....
He is NOT saying... I am leaving... That is why 'voy' is used and not 'me voy'

Hope it helps and didn't confuse you even more.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Se dice: me voy para alla... he just shortened it b/c (1) use of slang, or campo use (2) song just wouldnt sound right if it were said properly (I think).

I dont think ANY song is a good example of using ANY language properly. Just like in English, artists use the wrong words, grammar and composition just to make it rhyme or make their point.

May 29, 2006
Some songs are more colloquial than others. My teachers said "Espereme" was fine, but "Me la pusieron dificil" was terrible both in grammar and in content. I guess they didn't like the idea that his girlfriend was a prostitute...

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
With all due respect "ir para alla" is not slang, this is correct Spanish. There is a reason the reflexive form is sometimes used and not used.

"Ir para alla" is not, but "Voy pa ' lla" and " me voy pa' lla" are

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Se dice: me voy para alla... he just shortened it b/c (1) use of slang, or campo use (2) song just wouldnt sound right if it were said properly (I think).

I dont think ANY song is a good example of using ANY language properly. Just like in English, artists use the wrong words, grammar and composition just to make it rhyme or make their point.

I agree that voy pa'lla IS a slang way of saying voy para alla BUT

it is not wrong to say VOY para alla... one doesn't have to say me voy para alla. Sometimes it would be wrong or redundant to say 'me voy para alla'. I think the OP is confused about the 'me' in front of voy... well at least I hope he knows that 'pa'lla' is not proper.

Que piensas?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
People should understand the use of reflexive verbs. Some verbs are required to use the reflexive form while others adding the reflexive form can change the meaning of the word significantly, such as with "ir para alla".

For example, if I'm in my house and my wife calls to me on the other side of the house "cuidame a la muchacha, me voy a ba?ar", a correct answer is "voy para alla". If, however, she calls me in the cell and asks me when I'm coming home ican say "me voy para alla".

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Chip and Mujer, you are both correct. There is really no need to say ME when using Voy.

More importantly, I hope that the OP understands that songs are not the best examples of how to use the language...

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
......"Ya me voy"~ I'm outta here! ....

I am pretty sure "Ya Voy" means "I'm Coming". Is it slang? I don't know but I hear it all the time.

It is used in such context that if somebody was knocking at your door, you respond from inside... "Ya Voy" (I'm Coming).

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am pretty sure "Ya Voy" means "I'm Coming". Is it slang? I don't know but I hear it all the time.

It is used in such context that if somebody was knocking at your door, you respond from inside... "Ya Voy" (I'm Coming).

You have to remember that "Ya" has different meanings and uses.

Ya - Now(Ya Me Voy - I'm going right now)
Ya - Already(Basta Ya! - Enough Already!)

So if you state "Ya Voy" is it kind of saying I'm going right now?? Maybe "Ya" has an additional use from the ones I listed.

"For a person to come he first must go"

Status
Not open for further replies.