Visitors Visa to Canada

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
i have recently heard that someone from Dominican Republic applying for a Temporary Resident Visa or Visitors Visa to Canada has to have a minimun of 100,000 pesos in their bank account in order to be approved... does anyone know if this is true and if so what is the reasoning behind the amount required????

Reactions: mike l

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
There is no guarantee or fast rule about this. No matter what you have you still need to convince immigration that you will return to the DR when the visa expires.

I will move your post to the visa forum,

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The majority of applicants can not that's why EXTREMELY few Canadian visitor visas are issued

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
We have had someone working in the office look at the paperwork we have and they say the only thing missing is the money. By the sounds of it I shouldn't be getting too excited though :(

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
why wont it help? sorry i am totally oblivious to everything to do with this.. all i know is what i have researched and what the visa office in Santo Domingo has told me....its nice to get opinions from "real" people.....it is crazy that it is sooo impossible!!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Depositing a large sum of money into the person's account for the purpose of the visa application doesn't prove that the person will return back to the DR at the end of the visit. It just shows you have that much money to give them.

They want to see that someone is responsible and has their own savings in the bank and that the savings has grown over time....

Someone who has no money in the bank and/or doesn't even have a bank account open is likely a person who might be desperate for a better life. This is the kind of person who might arrive in Canada and disappear or not return.

Going even further, if you "LEND" someone 100,000 pesos to deposit into their account, you might not ever get that back.

Just some words of caution and how it could look on paper to someone who's job it is to be skeptical and critical when making the decision.

Reactions: mike l

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
very true i can see how that would almost look worse than having no money at all... well looks like i have more thinking to do..its like we are stuck but really no matter what we do the answer is most likely no!! crappy :(

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Unfortunately this is true. You can try - many do - I have twice - but both were denied. I have never heard of someone getting approved since I've been on this site. Sorry. We all had to realize this at one point.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
It is possible to be approved but not very likely.

Even with all the right things included in the application and all the right reasons to return to the DR, your application can be denied.

To give you some more perspective, there are a few members of this board whose husbands were denied visitor visas to attend the birth of their child in Canada.

If that isn't a good enough reason then I don't know what is....but on the flip side it is also 1 of the best reasons not to return home.

I do know a couple (Canadian/Dominican) living in the DR that applied for a VV for the husband so that they could go home together for a holiday. He was approved but they had a well established life together in the DR and responsibilities to return to.

We never tried because we felt it was a money grab....my husband didnt get to be here for the birth of our child either.

Looking back I am not sure if it would have mattered if we tried or not....

All I can say is that if you don't try you will never know but be prepared for a denial but that is almost always the decision.

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
thank you to everyone for all of the information it is always good to be real and believe me i am not overly hopeful but i will definatley give it a shot!!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Make sure to let us know how it turns out!

On the plus side, if the answer is no.....you will have many more holidays in the sun to look forward to!

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
lol i only get 3 weeks vacation a year :( much easier for someone to visit me darn it!!!!

i will for sure keep you posted...probably going to apply in 3-4 weeks time

gonna have to go back for a sunny visit sooon the weather is miserable here!!!

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
where did you guys go from there? i might need to start thinking about alternatives here :)

summertime101

Nov 12, 2008
We did nothing! Took the paper home, and booked another trip. We are getting married in March....16 months together now. Immigration lawyer said that 'having applied for visitors visa will look good on paper' for immigration purposes. So glad we tried. Although at the time it was purely only to have him visit, and cut down on my trips to DR every 8 weeks.

dalmonte

Jan 31, 2010
i hear you!! i have been 3 times in the last 8 months for 2 weeks at a time..which is expensive and hard when work only gives 3 weeks vacay! its a pain in the a$$ really!

i have contemplated moving there but although the vacation sucks my job pays good so it is a big decision!! marriage i am not too sure about we have only been "together" 10 months

summertime101

Nov 12, 2008
Just be careful. Don't give up what you've built so easily. I have visited alot in the past year. And, although I could physically live there in a heat beat. I could never compete financially, soooooo until I retire or am close to it, it could never be an option. Learning the language alone is monumental.