Taiwanese Bamboo ?

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Can anyone tell me the contact information for the Taiwanese who are growing bamboo in the DR? I'm looking for some seedlings to plant a wind break.

Alternatively, anyone who knows where there are some good varieties available, please point me in the right direction.

thanks

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
There is a JAPANESE bamboo research farm along the highway between Santo Domingo and Bonao, on the west side of the road just after you go down into the valley. (sorry I don't have more information)

Just up the road a few miles, the 7th Day Adventists and others have a small bamboo furniture industry going, and may be a source of information too.

Look for the type that grows in clumps, and not the spreading varieties. Wherever you plant them, they will not take over.

lucas08

Sep 6, 2005
you can try calling the taiwan embassy. I think they have some government organization dealing with bamboo chairs and table.

embassy of the Republic of China (Taiwan), Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Avenida Romulo Betancourt No. 1360, Bella Vista, Distrito Nacional
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Phone:
+1-809-5086200
+1-809-4816712

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
dont know why it is so well liked and not much of it is grown here...
you do not want the running kind as it will take alot of hard work to control...I have it on a property, i planted some on a property that i sold and the new owners dont care much for it...ha ha ha...
pops up all over the place....
I bought bamboo place mats for my home....and a bamboo rocker for my L.R.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010
Can anyone tell me the contact information for the Taiwanese who are growing bamboo in the DR? I'm looking for some seedlings to plant a wind break.

Alternatively, anyone who knows where there are some good varieties available, please point me in the right direction.

thanks

You don't need seeds. Choose a variety you like, cut a few, chop it in 3 sections pieces, make a few holes (in the same line) in each section, plant each section horizontally, fill holes with fresh water then put some soil on top of the all thing. If the pieces you're planting have little branches on the ring beetween each section, trim them short and plant the piece of bambu so they are on top.