Visitor visa for Canada while in PR process

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
Is possible!

I just got my husbands passport back from the embassy in New York and they issued him a Multiple entry TRV for a year.

While our circumstances are a bit different then most in DR (he has had numerous TRV's in the past, and he can apply in NY as he has a US VISA) I really didnt think it would be approved this time - since the PR app is well in process, but it was. Feww Im so relieved!

FYI my experience in dealing with visa's for Dominicans is that the embassy in New York is WAY easier then PAP or SD. They are much more level headed and less biased when it comes to Dominicans - and I have also learnt that a US visa is way easier to get in DR then a Canadian Visa...so my advice to anyone wondering about getting a CDN TRV is to bypass the embassy in SD and apply thru NY (if they have or can get a US Visa)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is possible!

I just got my husbands passport back from the embassy in New York and they issued him a Multiple entry TRV for a year.

While our circumstances are a bit different then most in DR (he has had numerous TRV's in the past, and he can apply in NY as he has a US VISA) I really didnt think it would be approved this time - since the PR app is well in process, but it was. Feww Im so relieved!

FYI my experience in dealing with visa's for Dominicans is that the embassy in New York is WAY easier then PAP or SD. They are much more level headed and less biased when it comes to Dominicans - and I have also learnt that a US visa is way easier to get in DR then a Canadian Visa...so my advice to anyone wondering about getting a CDN TRV is to bypass the embassy in SD and apply thru NY (if they have or can get a US Visa)

Wow, well that's a first

So to clarify does he have a US visitor visa or does he have a green card?

I guess the Canadian Embassy in NY doesn't do a check if the person is in process for a PR unless this is something new. ;)

How long is his visa for?

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
Anna,

He has a US VISITOR visa.

The embassy knew he had a PR app in progress - as I told them he did in the invitation letter and in the application ; ) I figured being up front about it was better.

The visa is a multiple entry valid for a year.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
I don't think that the US is as stringent as Canada. My husband and I lived there. I pretty much grew up there.

All of our foreign student friends have visitor visas that are valid for 10 years in the US.

These are two different countries, with two totally different immigration systems.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the info. That's great news for anyone who already has a US visitor visa.

Doesn't Brown girl's hubby have visa for the US? Maybe that could work for them as well in case he gets delayed.

Sorry BG you were posting while I was typing ;)

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
We had a friend apply for a CDN Visa last summer - had all his ducks in a row, owns a business, money, property. He was refused. He had an appointment a week later for a US Visa - he was given a 10 yr multiple entry. Go figure.

I have had numerous Dominican friends visit us over the last few years and all got their VISA's at the consulate in NY without any problems. Even a 17yr old boy that came to spend the summer with us.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Perhaps having that US visitor's visa will now make it possible for your friend to also get a Canadian visitor's visa.

Perhaps I'm the one not getting the OP but I think what she is saying is that while her husband is waiting to be approved for a PR ( permanent residency visa) to Canada he did get a visitor visa to Canada because he already had a visitor visa to the US.

Did I get that right SBT?

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
HA...Ok sorry I thought I made it clear!

YES he already has a US VISA. This enabled him to apply for his TRV's to Canada at the Canadian consulate in New York! Which is how he applied for his previous 4 TRV's to Canada. The one that he just got approved for this week - the first one since the PR was in process - was also thru the NY office, but by mail from inside Canada.

He got his first few American Visa's at the consulate in Santo Domingo - and the most recent, at the American Consulate in Ottawa.

brown_girl103

Oct 9, 2009
SBT, I totally didn't get it at first either... lol. I wish I would have known this before! My husband would have had no problem going back to the states, we just went about EVERYTHING the wrong way it seems.

But, this is great to know, because we are looking at all of our options to get my husband out of there. He will go to the US embassy to see if they will let him come on a visitor's visa, considering he lived there for numerous years. If they do, then we'll do what your hubby did. However, according to CIC we may have a few other options as well for him to come directly here, but we are considering all avenues.

Thanks for the info though! Greatly appreciated!
:)

charliegirl

Oct 16, 2005
Applying for TRV in Santo Domingo while in process for PR

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice for applying for a TRV to Canada while in process for PR.

I am married to my Dominican husband, we have been together many years, have 2 kids, he had a TRV in 2009 which was good for 6 months, he was only in Canada 3 weeks.

We have just started the PR process and I am in Canada and need my husband to come visit me.

We are applying for a Visa right away.. any advice???/

Please and thank you
:)