Question for you guy's in the know? (common law laws)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My neighbor has been living common law in the DR for just over a year and realizes that the clock is ticking away towards the time when she can claim half or all of the house...

Can anyone tell me when this kicks in here in the DR.?

Thanks

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think this should be in the legal forum. You need Fabio Guzman for a definitive answer, if indeed there is one!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm wondering what DR1ers think as many of us here live with Dominican Woman and really aren't to sure.
I always thought it was three years others have said two.

F

fthguy

gringo in DR the law is you live 5 yers concecutive she have the half the buy in the last 5 years , depend the lawer she have remember you is gringo here $$$$$$$$ this is wat sinck lawers and she , the have kids wit thedominican woman she have the first in the house, have case the gringo buy appt for she and she living the house and check for the kid child support, you late 1 day you going jail ,

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
move to legal this has been asked and answered may times use the search for concubine

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Mr Guzman has answered this question many times. Here it is again.

Fabio J. Guzman

Common law marriages do not exist in the Dominican Republic. Living together is never equivalent to a normal marriage. However, certain provisions in the Labor Code, the Minors Code and the Criminal Code acknowledge that living together has legal consequences. For example, a worker has the right to a few days off work if his concubine gives birth to his child; domestic violence to a concubine is treated the same as domestic violence to a wife. A Supreme Court decisiion in 2001 gave a surviving concubine the right to sue for the wrongful death of her companion in an automobile accident under very restrictive conditions: a) the couple must have lived as if they were husband and wife, in a public relationship, not hidden or secret; b) the relationship must be stable and long-lasting; c) the relationship must be monogamous and non-adulterous since its origins ; and d) the couple should be of different sexes. The ruling goes on to say expressly that "marriage and extra matrimonial companionship are not . . equivalent realities”.

A bill was introduced in Congress some time ago to create common law marriages. I doubt it will ever pass since the Catholic Church is dead set against it.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so you can live with someone of the same sex as long as you want and they cant get their hands on your money...interesting lol

Mar 2, 2008
The US consular agent gave me the same information that rafael reports.

Although this should be in the legal forum, I believe there was a recent change in the law which puts the whole issue of "common law" relationships back on the front burner.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There has been no new law on this issue. Neither has there been a new decision from the Supreme Court changing its doctrine set in 2001.

The new Constitution, in its article 55 regarding the family, although it acknowledges that a free union generates rights and obligations, adds at the end "de conformidad con la ley" ("in accordance with the law"), and the law has not changed. The Constitution, in effect, is just reproducing the doctrine set by the Supreme Court in 2001.

My sense is that the Catholic Church, who has been so influential in the drafting of the Constitucion (Art. 37. "The right to life is inviolable from conception until death".) opposed any opening in this regard.

rodelre

Nov 12, 2007
I never lived in the DR with a women but had a long distance relationship for over 1.5 year. During that relationship she assisted me in overseeing construction of a house I was building. Now she's claiming to be my common law wife! While she assisted me I paid her monthly. I need help.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I never lived in the DR with a women but had a long distance relationship for over 1.5 year. During that relationship she assisted me in overseeing construction of a house I was building. Now she's claiming to be my common law wife! While she assisted me I paid her monthly. I need help.

Did you have a contract of employment or a specific "power of attorney" agreement written up?

You'd better hire an attorney there, pronto. Time is not on your side.

rodelre

Nov 12, 2007
I dont understand why she would be entiltled to anything. We never lived together. Isn't that a condition of a common law marriage. I also had numerous relationships while I was with her.

Mar 1, 2009
Wow she is really screwing you. I was in a relationship kinda similar to that, I ended it awhile ago. Let me talk to my attorney. Great post!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Will she be entitled to a portion of the house or back pay?

Thanks!

Well as I read post #5 or 6, Guzman said there is no common law marriage so what basis does she have to your house? Is her name on the deed?
He said in a common law relationship the partners get recognition of:
a. family law=maternity leave
b. criminal law= domestic violence
c. surrogate law=survivor benefits and tort actions.

then all the stipulations that I dont see how any one in a common law relationship could exercise past maternity leave.
a) the couple must have lived as if they were husband and wife, in a public relationship, not hidden or secret;
b) the relationship must be stable and long-lasting;
c) the relationship must be monogamous and non-adulterous since its origins ; and
d) the couple should be of different sexes. The ruling goes on to say expressly that "marriage and extra matrimonial companionship are not . . equivalent realities?.

In your case, it is all in her mouth and not in the world.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you did never live together with her and you paid her an employee's salary, the only thing she would be entitled to is a liquidation when you fire her from her employment, and that will not cost you a fotune nor will there be the need to sell your house.
sound's like you got caught by a smart one who feel's that the gringito is the right one to scare the heck out of and then ripp off.
Mike