moving to santiago

Camara73

Jan 30, 2010
I'm thinking of moving to Santiago in the near future but wanted to know more about the city, the atmosphere and the abilty to find a good woman as i am a 36yr old african american looking for change of pace and i love the Dominican culture but dont want to live in the "touristy" cities

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I'm thinking of moving to Santiago in the near future but wanted to know more about the city, the atmosphere and the abilty to find a good woman as i am a 36yr old african american looking for change of pace and i love the Dominican culture but dont want to live in the "touristy" cities

Do you have another name on DR1? I dont see how you can only be a member here for only one week with zero posts and be thinking of moving to the DR.

Where have you done your research prior to making this decision? I am looking for other sources of information.

Thanks

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Will you have a source of income or will you be looking for a job? Jobs aren't easy to come by especially for those who don't speak Spanish. However, more than likely you can get a job teaching English for US600 to US900 a month.

Also, if you learn Spanish, Santiago is a nice place to live; otherwise you will be somewhat isolated.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

Firstly, welcome to DR1. There is a lot more to the DR than just Santiago and Sto. Domingo without considering the "touristy" cities either. I understand you have visited both those places but have you been along the North coast or the South coast or Central and really got to know your bearings - this is a big island in the great scheme of things and there is a lot to consider when relocating to a new country, culture and language (assuming you are not, as yet, fluent in Latin Spanish).

okgo

Jul 29, 2009
I don't understand why this post was met with such rude responses such as 'WHY ARE YOU POSTING HERE IF YOU'VE DONE YOUR RESEARCH' i believe this is an open forum. It's obvious the OP just wants opinions from people who may already live in the DR.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I don't understand why this post was met with such rude responses such as 'WHY ARE YOU POSTING HERE IF YOU'VE DONE YOUR RESEARCH' i believe this is an open forum. It's obvious the OP just wants opinions from people who may already live in the DR.

As you do not quote which post to which you are referring, and I assume you edited your post as it was not the one I received in the email alert, I certainly did not have any intention of being 'rude' to the OP. Indeed, my opening words were "welcome to DR1".

The point, which I believe that other posters may be trying to make, is that there is a wealth of information and advise which has been placed over a huge amount of time which, may indeed, assist the OP in making decisions.

Last edited:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008

You should do fine with the ladies and I think you will. :cheeky:

You should ditch the whole "African American" thing, and stick with plain old "American". Once you open your mouth and speak..... you're a Gringo anyway; color or ancestry is not as relevent and there is much less emphasis on it here in the DR as opposed to US.

Reactions: Tamborista

dennydee08818

Jan 29, 2010
Man, if you are thinking of moving to Santiago, GO FOR IT! I am a young guy just like you and I moved to Santiago with little to no Spanish skills and had never visited the city. I don't have any regrets. In fact, it was the best decision that I made. I have been here five years and it is great. All the comforts of home with half the BS.

As an African American it will be a lot different for you because you blend in. No one will ever know you are not Dominican until you open your mouth. (Then you wil be Haitian)

If you are going to come you should do it before you get old like most of the people in this forum.