address for my permanent residence card?

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
I am going to the D.R. to get my permanent residence card. Since in the future I would like to return with my permanent residence card and open a bank account among other things, I need a mailing address that immigration will put on my permanent residence card. This address will function as my permanent address in the D.R. The person at this address will need to forward any mail that comes to me at this address but it would not be more than one time a year if I can help it.

Any suggestions for getting this address and where to look?

Any warnings about how and what not to do?

Thanks, Bob :glasses:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The residence card doesn't have an address on it. The cedula does. I don't think it's sensible to put any address other than your actual fulltime residential address. Discuss it with the cedula people when you go to the JCE for your cedula or with your lawyer. You won't get people here offering their addresses for you to use because that could cause problems for their next cedula renewal.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
you do not need a address in DR

because there is no mail system and the government will not send you any letter. You can put any hotel for your address on your cedular card and no body care.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
I just looked and you are right. There is only an address on my cedula and not my residence card.

How often do I need to renew the cedula? Do I do that when I get my permanent residence card?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I just looked and you are right. There is only an address on my cedula and not my residence card.

How often do I need to renew the cedula? Do I do that when I get my permanent residence card?

When did you get your cedula Bob?
When does your cedula need renewing Bob?

That is the frequency that you need to renew your cedula Bob!
:glasses: :classic: :cool: :rolleyes:

IF the dates (& frequency) for renewing cedula equate to the frequency & dates of your residencia card then YES, you can renew both at the same time. This is normally difficult to achieve though as fast traffic through either & bot offices (about 5 miles apart) don't allow for a same day renewal of both.

I find mine do not fall on same frequency &/or years so have to do a journey for each. Normally I put the dates for renewals due in my diary to help me remember what Government Officialdom requires. ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, do not worry about address because there is no post system here anyways. if you insist give any address you are currently at: hotel, friend, cabana.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How often do I need to renew the cedula?

You need to renew the cedula when it expires. You'll see a year printed in a different colour (probably turquoise). That is the year of expiry. The actual date is the date of your birthday.

Whatever you do DON'T give a false address, it might have worked in the past but not any longer. It's better to give your permanent address in US or Canada or wherever you live than to give a false one.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You need to renew the cedula when it expires. You'll see a year printed in a different colour (probably turquoise). That is the year of expiry. The actual date is the date of your birthday.

Are you sure of the reissueing date? My Cedula's year in blue is 2009 with my birthday being Dec 19. I went to the reissueing office (Junta) right before Dec. 19 and was told that I had 6 more months before I needed to renew. When I got home I called the Junta office (to double check the accuracy of the statement) in the Capital and was told the same thing.

Reactions: Lucille

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Are you sure of the reissueing date? My Cedula's year in blue is 2009 with my birthday being Dec 19. I went to the reissueing office (Junta) right before Dec. 19 and was told that I had 6 more months before I needed to renew. When I got home I called the Junta office (to double check the accuracy of the statement) in the Capital and was told the same thing.

Thanks waytogo for this information. It is helpful as usual.

Bob

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Whatever you do DON'T give a false address, it might have worked in the past but not any longer. It's better to give your permanent address in US or Canada or wherever you live than to give a false one.

To give a permanent residence address in another country for the cedula would be okay. But as long as it is not required on the permanent residence card. I have been given information and see for myself it is not required on the temp. residence card. Thanks for this information as usual Lambada.

Bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Your expiry date then would have been Dec 19th. 2009. Doesn't mean you have to renew on the precise expiry date ;). Those are 2 separate questions (the date when it expires & the date you need to renew by) & bob only asked one of them so......... Then you get an election year with hundreds of thousands of locals trying to update their cedulas so sometimes foreigners who aren't citizens and don't vote so don't need to renew urgently, will be given extra time until the lines quieten down. Yes I know the cedula offices are different for locals & foreigners, but I suspect they wanted to take some extra staff from the foreigners' section to handle all the extra work
JCE fijan plazo hasta mi?rcoles para c?dulas con fines electorales

It's like the answer to a lot of questions here 'it's as long as a piece of string' :)

But as long as it is not required on the permanent residence card. Bob

I'll say it louder: an address is not required on the permanent residence card.

Nor on the next one when you renew it.

Nor on the one after that.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
I'll say it louder: an address is not required on the permanent residence card.

Nor on the next one when you renew it.

Nor on the one after that.

Thank you, but if you look at the fact that my words were a statement and not a question I was sort of assuming that my address would not need to be on the perm residency card. But thanks for your effort to help again even though the emphasis was not needed.

Bob :cross-eye

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Your expiry date then would have been Dec 19th. 2009. Doesn't mean you have to renew on the precise expiry date ;). Those are 2 separate questions (the date when it expires & the date you need to renew by) & bob only asked one of them so......... Then you get an election year with hundreds of thousands of locals trying to update their cedulas so sometimes foreigners who aren't citizens and don't vote so don't need to renew urgently, will be given extra time until the lines quieten down. Yes I know the cedula offices are different for locals & foreigners, but I suspect they wanted to take some extra staff from the foreigners' section to handle all the extra work
JCE fijan plazo hasta mi?rcoles para c?dulas con fines electorales
So, I can only assume that they will pull the same crap that they pulled on my residence card. I was charged 2000 DP in fines for being late, even though I was told by them I had the extra time. Stupid stupid me for falling for it twice. Live and learn is a daily occurance here, like going to idiot school.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
So, I can only assume that they will pull the same crap that they pulled on my residence card. I was charged 2000 DP in fines for being late, even though I was told by them I had the extra time. Stupid stupid me for falling for it twice. Live and learn is a daily occurance here, like going to idiot school.

Are you saying Migracion, the department for residencia, told you you could have the extra time, with no penalties? That's very odd. Paying a fee for late renewal of residencia is established practice & the amount is on their website (RD$500 for each month that your provisional has expired, RD$250 for each month that your permanent has expired).
Direccion General de Migracion

Now I know that sometimes when it is a large sum, they exercise some discretion (happened to a friend of mine who was nearly 2 years late in renewing her permanent residencia) but they do charge for late renewals & have done so for many years.

The JCE for cedulas is different, however. Up until recently cedulas were free (in fact the only time I have ever paid a fee for a cedula renewal was when I last renewed, which I think was December 2008). So the applicant was not gaining a 'free period' by renewing late. That's why it is easy to believe that the JCE told you you could renew up to 6 months after the date on the card. But for Migracion to say this ALSO is really surprising and probably should have been challenged.

Course it is always possible that at some stage in the future the JCE might impose penalties for late renewal of cedulas...goalposts do move here in the DR, as you have found out. ;)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The last time I went to renew my cedula, the dummies told me I had to wait until at least January of the year following the expiration year. Even though the cedula states that it expires on your birthday of the year printed on the card.

I ended up having to make a second trip to Santo Domingo.

Don