Little to no Spanish?

michealkris1

Jan 24, 2010
Hello forum,

I will be heading to SD or BC in a few weeks. I have a female friend who will be meeting me that speaks English. My Question is will I have a hard time enjoying myself because my lack of Spanish language? I know enough to find a bathroom and ask for some water LOL...Okey a little more than that but not muich. I also ask this because if me and my friend have a parting of ways I want to be sure I can still cut my losses and enjoy my vacation...

All thoughts welcome

Thank you in Advance
Michael

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You should be okay.

Just be extra careful if you are on your own.
Either way, don't give up security, caution and common sense because someone is nice to you.

Just like when you travel, the TSA asks if you packed your own bags, keep an eye on your drinks especially if you are alone.

And you have already read the following post, so just remember it well:

Blending IN

Don

Last edited:

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Keep your wits about you and don't say si to everything unless you know what they said. I friend got himself in a lot of problems by not understanding what was being said he would answer si to everything. It nearly cost him his home.
On the other hand I met my wife. I knew little to no Spanish and now we have been married for 6 years and have two children very happy. All the best to you

May 29, 2006
You should really work on at least getting your numbers down and learn how to determine price before getting into a taxi. Fares are often double or more if you don't make sure of the price first. BC should be easy with just English.

I've found it's helpful to keep a notepad with me if I can't figure out how to say something. For example if you write " RD$~ ??" most people will be able to figure out that you want to know how much something costs. Other things, like a picture of the US(or wherever you are from) and a star to show people where you live can help make friends. After a week or two, you'll be able to play Pictionary like a pro. I've done the note pad trick in Japan, Korea, Pacific Islands, Estonia and the DR.

I've known ex patriots who have lived in the DR for years and barely spoke a hundred words. You can definitely get by without Spanish, but it is a lot more fun the more you know.

michealkris1

Jan 24, 2010
Thanks everyone so far for the replies. It takes some of the anxiety off. I have always practised the art of treating people with dignity and respect....so that won't be a problem. In the past I have always pretty much blended in with the culture around me, ie., India, Singapore, Philippines, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica.....Yes, as foreigner you never truly BLEND IN....but I have always had good experiences for the most part because I am interested in learning about other culture and I am very humble with my views