American needing a job...

wilson1

Feb 8, 2010
I apologize if this is a repeat post (as I tried to find a recent post to avail). I am an American that plans to relocate to the Santo Domingo area in the next few months. I have a college degree in Journalism/Public Relations from an American University. I do not know Spanish. I am looking for work in the capital and understand that there is a need for English teachers/tutors. Does anyone know of any leads or contacts I can make to see about available positions? I do not have a teaching certificate. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thank you.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Think again

To perhaps spare you the agony of reading dozens of replies, you probably ought to just rethink the whole idea of moving to the DR until you have Spanish skills and a war chest. There are thousands of bilingual Dominicans and others who can teach English. Unless you really are an exceptional human being, and I am not doubting that, you aren't ready yet to do what you are inquiring about.

You can do a search of these posts and find uncountable requests similar to yours.

A spirit of adventure is a very valuable thing, but it must be tempered with reality.

Good luck.

wilson1

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks, Abe. I appreciate the quick response. I am not heart set on teaching English. I was just under the impression that it was a valued skill set. I would be open to any position that would utilize my college degree. Unfortunately I have hefty student loans I need to pay back and am not able to reconsider moving to the DR (as I am moving for personal family reasons). Any additional insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think any DR salary, unless exceptionally high, will be enough for you to live on and pay back your US student loans as well ...

wilson1

Feb 8, 2010
Thanks, Rubio. I have the option to defer my student loans until I am on my feet. I am not looking to make a high salary, but rather enough for the bare necessities. I have a place to live (rent free). I've researched call centers which someone suggested, but was looking for other options as well. Are there any US based companies in the DR? I don't mean to seem relentless--I am just looking for solutions.

Reactions: mike l

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks, Rubio. I have the option to defer my student loans until I am on my feet. I am not looking to make a high salary, but rather enough for the bare necessities. I have a place to live (rent free). I've researched call centers which someone suggested, but was looking for other options as well. Are there any US based companies in the DR? I don't mean to seem relentless--I am just looking for solutions.
The solutions don't exist.

Unless you have a refined, exceptional skill unavailable in the local labor pool or are exceptionally connected, you will not find the gainful employment you need. It just doesn't exist.

Underemployment here is as pronounced as unemployment.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I admire your persistence in the face of adversity Wilson1!! ;)

Whilst the 'Job Market' for non Spanish speaking (yet) Ex-Pats is extremely limited, it is not TOTALLY beyond possibilities!! Personally I would suggest you contact the American Embassy here in the DR OR the Dominican Embassy in the US & ask them for a list of the US Companies with businesses already here AND those who are in the process of negotiating setting up businesses here. Once you ave this list, write to their Personnel Depts. & be as open (yet still as persistent as on here) as possible. I am sure there are US Companies who might be interested in a PR employee who will work for less than a 'Qualified & presently secure' PR person that they would have to entice down here to work!!

HOWEVER, be aware this will be an uphill struggle & it will not happen within a 6 month period unless you strike 'Gold Dirt' on your first application!! :ermm:

I wish you 'Good Luck' with your investigations & hope for your subsequent success. Be sure to get back to us on this thread if/when you achieve your desires/needs! ~ Grahame.

Reactions: drloca

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
public relations could prove difficult with no spanish
Public Relations in the DR is difficult even WITH Spanish JR - look at all the crapola that has to be woven into a speech/document!! :cheeky: ;) :glasses:

However, to take up your point I would suggest that wilson1
a) take a crash course in Spanish to get him/herself at least proficient in Spanish
b) initially looks to a US company that needs reports/publicity writing for the ENGLISH speaking customers/shareholders etc.
c) ensures that he/she has a network of reliable translators that can undertake report writing on his/her behalf (we have a couple that do this on DR1 I believe)

As you well know, NOTHING is impossible if you have the right friends, the will power to succeed & ................ ONE HELL OF A LOT OF LUCK!!

I just didn't want to knock wilson1's attempt to reach out for help/advice after his/her first post. ~ Grahame.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How many American (or Euro, or Canadian, etc.) companies would hire an American (Euro, Canuck, etc.) when the identical skills can be found here within the current workforce for 1/4-1/3 the foreign price?

the REASON so many educated Dominicans leave...even among the upper classes...is BECAUSE there are few opportunities.