People protesting near Licey

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Hi,

Last night, at around 9.15pm, we were driving on the road to Licey from Santiago (about 10 minutes from Santiago) when we got caught up in some kind of protest or something similiar. We didn't see it coming - there were just a couple of plastic chairs in the road, no people - they were off the road. We got a couple of rocks thrown at the car - one broke the front grill, another damaged a side window!

Just wondered if anyone knew of anything going on in the area. I know the Licey area can be trouble during elections.

Should we just avoid going that way (to Cabarete) altogether?

Thanks,

Nikki

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They call it "huelga".

Just wondered if anyone knew of anything going on in the area.

They call it "huelga" which has nothing to do with its translation in a dictionary.
They are riots for some reason or other (no water, no electricity, bad roads, a barrio tiguere locked up by police, etc.).
The rule is: Stop and do not continue, you might even get shot at by a hidden shooter.
Sometimes the huelga tigueres let you pass for money... or a bottle of "wikki"....
If you are not in a hurry you can wait until the riot police arrive... could take hours though.

donP

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
I have heard of huelga's. Problem this time was that we really didn't see anything until the first rock hit the front of the car! We just keep going as we didn't want to stop right in the middle of it.

Thanks for the info.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My understanding is such nonsense is "sport" in Licey. I just asked some Dominican colleagues, they rolled their eyes and laughed.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Around here in Santiago Licey has a reputation for demonstrations. However, I have never heard of anyone being shot or attacked. Also, I believe it's rare that they throw things at cars from what I have seen.

My approach would be to stop and ask them to let me pass if they had the road blocked. By the way, I frequently travel through Licey and in fact remembering seeing some debris I think this morning. Nonetheless, when we are coming back to STI from Moca we try to get home before 9 or so.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Around here in Santiago Licey has a reputation for demonstrations. However, I have never heard of anyone being shot or attacked. Also, I believe it's rare that they throw things at cars from what I have seen.

My approach would be to stop and ask them to let me pass if they had the road blocked. By the way, I frequently travel through Licey and in fact remembering seeing some debris I think this morning. Nonetheless, when we are coming back to STI from Moca we try to get home before 9 or so.
9:15pm, some folks might be a little "toasty"...;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Don

My post was based on what Dominicans have told me and what I have seen first hand. For example, when I had to drop a package off at the Licey airport, I noticed that the road was partially blocked. I called the wife's cousin at UPS and he said don't worry about it because it was a common event and the people would let me pass.

Also, the articles you posted don't mention passerby's being attacked, but do mention a protester being shot.

However, if you hear word around that there is going to be a huelga anywhere a few days beforehand the best bet is to stay clear as those types can get problematic. Good thing though is word travels fast here, so fast in fact that I can literally call my mother in law in the evening after I eat and she can tell me what I had for dinner. :)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Licey al Medio and Navarrete are famous doing "Huelgas"....
Avoid passing through those towns, when they strike they act like terrorist, they brake and burn cars it doesn't matter you are a passerby you will be in danger so you better make sure every thing is ok if you really have to visit one of those towns.

JJ

Reactions: badpiece33
Licey al Medio and Navarrete are famous doing "Huelgas"....
Avoid passing through those towns, when they strike they act like terrorist, they brake and burn cars it doesn't matter you are a passerby you will be in danger so you better make sure every thing is ok if you really have to visit one of those towns.

JJ

So true always Licey medio with the riots,About 2 years ago I was heading to Santiago airport the back way thru Licey when I got caught up in a Huelga with a large tree blocking the road, I went to the colmado bought 2 bottles of extra viejo and some plastic cups and they pulled the tree off the road shook my hand and let me thru to the airport and even let me back thru on my way back to Sosua. To this day I always stop in that Colmado and stay friendly with those guys in the event I need to get thru again during the next Huelga.
Do Not attempt to drive thru or around these Huelgas unless you are ready to be hit with rocks,botles or even shot at.Make friends before continuing on or go around a different way.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
If we had seen anything or anyone, then we would have stopped and turned around but, in this instance, the first thing that happened was a rock smashing into the front of the car. The only thing in the road was a plastic chair which we swerved around before being hit by another rock. The whole thing lasted around 10 seconds!

From reading your descriptions of Huelgas, I don't think this was one. I think it was their idea of 'sport' as Cobraboy said. I am glad to give his friends something to laugh about - maybe they wouldn't find it so funny if the shoe was on the other foot.....

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Did you know this?
Que entre Santiago y Moca metieron a Licey al medio

You need to be dominican to get the meaning....

Je,Je

JJ

F

futuro

A few years ago a bus driver was shot in Navarrette. I was told that it is a hot spot. Now i guess licey is also..

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
some of my students from Santiago Christian SChool told me that the brunt of that "huelga" last week was actually on the road the school is on, not the Licey Highway. There's been a lot of huelgas there, because the school generates a lot of money, things get done there that don't in the rest of Licey and the people riot. There was a huge riot when that road got paved because it wasn't in NEED of paving and many roads in Licey are. Closed the school down for like 3 days.