Backpacker needs info and advise please.

adamss

Jun 30, 2009
I am travelling around the DR and would love to get some info and advise about places to stay.
I am avoiding all resorts and would like to stay in non-resort places in complete natural environments, rural and staying in prefered eco-friendly spots. (Beach fronts or the mountains.)
As I am a backpacker I like the basic and cheap side of things too. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
If you google ranchos around DR you will find cheap mountain village places to stay, camp sites and so on. Rancho Wendy is one, Ranchowendy.com or org (probably). I was up there at the weekend near Banao and it is rural and just steps away from the village. Probably the kind of thing you are looking for, horses to use, a little stream runs past the door of the shack accommodation, that is basic, shower, toilet, fan, big bed. Just shacks built in a field with ONE LOVE painted on the sign on the entrance. I could handle it for a couple of days head space, but much longer and I'd go mad. A bit overly peaceful when you're used to the city.
I saw plenty of other Ranchos on the way u there. $10 per night.

I hear they have shacks on the beach at Punta Cana that are basic and cheap. Infact if I can find out where they are then I'm going to be off there myself soon.
Happy travels.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First of all you need to get a grip.
The Dominican Republic is the size of West (by God!) Virginia. There are 10,000 foot mountains, high valleys, rain forests, cloud forests, deserts, lush, tropical palm forests, and rivers, lakes, and, oh yes, the Caribbean on one side and the Atlantic on the other.
\
A lot will depend on how long you plan to stay and where you will be landing and what you like to do. Let us know where you are>?

The variety can be mind boggling...

HB

adamss

Jun 30, 2009
Thanks for all the ideas guys, I have already been to Rancho Wendy and yes, it's a great backpackers place alright!

I'm currently based in La Romana and am going to travel around during spring break (Easter) for a week. Am planning to go to Samana, so if anyone is up there, get in touch and rum and beer are on the cards!

vlokje

May 13, 2004
If you go to Las Terrenas go to Fata Morgana,rooms with bathroom and hammocks,comunual kitchen,clean and cheap.
Vlokje

abragrande

Sep 21, 2009
Las Terrenas

Go to Fata Morgana in Las Terrenas. Edit is a gracious hostess and is also a great tour guide. The rooms are cheap and very clean. The kitchen is well stocked with utensils for cooking.

abragrande