Gua-Gua Crash at Las Americas

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Anyone have info on a Gua-Gua crash tonight around Las Americas?

I need to find out the list of casualties.

• How does this work in the D.R.
  • Who do I contact?
  • Anybody with any experience - please help.
Thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot more than that. Thirteen bodies laid out...
More in the water still,

HB

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
The news just said they were racing another GuaGua and the driver had a heart attack, hit the curb flew up in the air and into the sea. They have pulled some bodies out of the water, along with a 2month old baby, divers resume the search tomorrow morning.

Apr 3, 2009
I was driving on Las Americas last night and witnessed the aftermath at 11pm. A lot of debris on the street and cars parked on the side of the road. I had no idea that there were casualties.

-BB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I rode by there today around 5pm coming back from La Romana and they still had the area roped off with people looking over the side.

It has to be possibly the closest section of this highway to the ocean that I've seen. Seeing how these bozo guaga drivers race on this particular highway it is only by God's good grace that there aren't a whole lot more accidents like this.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I went down today and the people are waiting for the bodies to start popping up. They are missing 8 bodies according to a police guy we were talking to. The people that were thrown from the bus before it hit the water were dead on arrival of the emergency teams, that volcanic rock is sharp as hell.
The water is about 50 - 75 ft deep directly where the bus went in so for those knocked out by the impact there was very little chance (they also took off a 10 ton side of the reef (shows the impact). 2 guys from the other side of the road who ran across and jumped in to help are dead, apparently. When on our way back the other way we saw a heli hovering, we stopped and apparently a couple of bodies had come up 500mtrs down the coast towards Boca so were expecting the rest to come up sometime soon. Very frisky water today so I expect some will be miles away.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
All the people I was worried about are present and correct.

Here is why I was worried.

My 2 friends were on a Gua Gua just behind. They were speaking on a cell phone to their friend who was waiting on the highway where they were supposed to get off the Gua Gua. The phone goes dead. They should have been 2 mins away. They did not arrive for another hour (stuck behind the mess) and the battery on their phone was dead.
My friend put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

Still, bloody nasty business all round.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Racing Slicks

"Tras ser rescatado del veh?culo de la profundidad del mar, se observ? que los neum?ticos estaban intactos totalmente lisos y en malas condiciones."

... which can also be seen in the photos of several newspapers.

donP

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I don't expect any families will be getting any comp out of this either way, new or bald.