Some questions about Samana...

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
Going to Samana the end of this week with my husband and 2 1/2 yr old son. We'll be there for 5 days then heading over to visit my mom in Santiago. I have few questions. Is the whale watching excursion safe for two year olds ? Does anyone have suggestions or info for the drive from Puerto Plata to Terrenas ? We will be staying at the alisei. We have been to the DR many times, my parents are Dominican. My husband drives in the DR every time we go there he has no issues with driving there. We were going to use a mini van though, is a 4x4 really necessary ? Thanks in advance for your help. :cheeky::cheeky:

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Whale Watch

We took a whale watch out of the city of Samana in January on Kim Bedell's boat. Whale Samana - Home Page. It was as safe as any boat could be for a 2 year old. It is a 50 Ft boat with an upper deck and a lower deck and all the safety equipment that a US whale watch boat would have. Very professional and well done with a constant explaination of the whales and their habits and habitat. That being said it would only be of passing interest to a 2 year old. Depending on the sea conditions I recommend you stay on the bottom deck if you are with a child. It was a little rough the day we were out and the upper deck was a little harder to navigate, even without a child. There are many other boats that go out of Samana city that seemed more interested in packing tourists on and getting their money than providing a quality trip. If you go I highly recommend you go on Kim Beddell's boat. They sell snacks and soda, have a toilet, offer free Dramamine( motion sickness pills) and were very accommodating. I cannot comment on the road trip from POP to Las Terranas as we came from the capital.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Kim's boat is the only way to go; however, I would save the trip for when the child is older for the reasons listed on the message above and because it gets beastly hot on the boat. The child will be very miserable and neither one of you will enjoy the trip.

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Samana Whale Watching Tour & Excursion - Samana Bay, Dominican Republic

Besides Kim Beddal, there are a few local Licensed Tour Operators from the Town of Samana who owns many boats ( usually "very stable" Motor Catamaran of 35 foot ) and will take you Whale Watching in Samana Bay.

These Tour Operators are :
1) Marivanna Tours
2) Cayenas del Mar
3) Moto Marina Club

All of them have Websites and are easy to find. Just google them.You can see their prices online
and what's included in their tour.
And they all seem to have NO MINIMUM as number of guests.

The Whales in Samana are Beautiful, Enjoy Them While they are Here.

( January 15 to March 15 - Every Year )

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I live in Las Terrenas. I would not take a 2 year old whale watching. He may get sea sick and you will not enjoy the trip. Also one thing you must remember is that you will be a good distance from the whales and you will only see them for maybe 15-30 seconds before they submerge for 10 minutes at a time. Save your money. With the improved quality of roads a mini van will work. Coming from Puerto Plata as you approach El Catey airport stay in the left lane. Look for the sign that says Las Terrenas and after you pass the circle for the airport make a left on the new stretch of highway into LT. It will cost you Rd450$ but it is worth it. In 20 minutes you will be in Las Terrenas. If you need directions to the Alisei send me a private message.

S