One Way Tickets?

EROD528

Feb 15, 2010
I am going to DR next month and I have been hearing stories that when you go you are asked to buy a ticket to come back. I have traveled to DR 2 times already without the ticket to come back with no problems. (last time was January of 2009) Could it be because my mother has her residency over there? and they can find that in the system? I dont know but I have never had this issue. I'm just wondering since there are new rules now to traveling.. :disappoin

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I think by law you are required to have a return ticket (or at least a ticket out of the country). I have travelled an x number of times already (almost always without a return ticket) and they never checked nor asked for my return ticket in the DR. I wasnt even aware of this rule, until I went on a vacation to the USA (from the DR) and wanted to go back to the DR. The US airline wouldnt let me leave (the USA), because I didnt have a ticket from the DR to my own country!

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Please, more comments wanted

I am going from Virginia to the DR next weekend - with a one-way ticket. My plan is to stay 6 months as a volunteer with a school, however, there is a possibility that I might not be able to stay the full 6 months. SO, I don't want to buy a ticket that I can't use nor pay mucho dinero for a refundable ticket. What is the worst that can happen? Will "they" not let me on the plane leaving the states? Will they not let me enter the DR at the airport? More opinions/experiences PLEASE.

Thanks, Susan

EROD528

Feb 15, 2010
Ive hurd so many stories its driving me crazy! I plan on going to DR March 18th (next month) and staying til..... I dont know whenever I get tired of being there (lol) It makes no sense for me to have to buy a ticket to come back when I dont HAVE TO come back.. Why do I have to come back? I didnt know it was illegal to stay in the DR if you were born in the US... I guess its a way of the US saying PLEASE DONT LEAVE US! WE NEED YOUR TAX MONEY! lmao.. I dont know but I swear if they ask me to buy a return ticket I am going to go crazy on them!

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
Found more info

Take a look at the Legal forum - there is a lot of info there. Looks like it makes sense to take your chances with a one-way ticket and, only if necessary, buy a refundable ticket from the DR to...anywhere - just to satisfy the requirement. Then cash it in as soon as you can.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
The worst that can happen is, that the US is not gonna let you go (or u have to buy a ticket right there and then, which might be way more expensive). I?ve only flown once out of the US (and had problems) this was with AA. Maybe its different with other airlines. Im 99,99999999999% sure your not gonna have any problem getting in to the DR, its just getting out of the US...

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
I'm leaving the US early tomorrow morning with a one-way ticket. Have already done my research to find a refundable return ticket that I can afford. If necessary, I'll buy one and then cash it in ASAP. At least I won't be stuck having to pay more than necessary for this inconvenience. I'll post the results.

Reactions: mike l

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Very simple, really....

Ive hurd so many stories its driving me crazy! I plan on going to DR March 18th (next month) and staying til..... I dont know whenever I get tired of being there (lol) It makes no sense for me to have to buy a ticket to come back when I dont HAVE TO come back.. Why do I have to come back? I didnt know it was illegal to stay in the DR if you were born in the US... I guess its a way of the US saying PLEASE DONT LEAVE US! WE NEED YOUR TAX MONEY! lmao.. I dont know but I swear if they ask me to buy a return ticket I am going to go crazy on them!

The origin of where you are leaving from,(country) and the airline you are flying with can vary. The US does not require a return ticket to be bought if you're US born. I fly AA all the time, one way, no problem. Sometimes I purchase a ticket to SJU when leaving and then to another island destination before returning to the US. All though the immigrations doesn't always look or ask for the return, it's required. You can't just fly into anywhere, any island and stay forever....legally that is......unless you of coarse have something of value to offer. Teacher, nurse, etc....and a show of income from your origin country. Again this varies between the different islands, and nationality.
If the US let anybody in from anywhere with no return, where do you think we would stand considering the number of illegal immigrants we have already, and the cost and problems they cause. Southern states are loaded with Cubans, Mexicans, throw in a few Haitians and Dominicans, Indians, Chinese, and what do you have? Just another war over jobs for starters. No diff here than in the DR. Dominicans don't want Haitians coming over with or with out work cards. There aren't enough jobs to go around as it is.
It's not a case of the US not wanting you to leave, the DR doesn't want you to stay. It's a due process.
Buy the round trip, throw away the return, and pay the fiddler when you leave if you ever have to. And think about getting a residency legally if you intend to stay.

Reactions: mike l and Matilda

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
The rest of the story...

Well, what a trip I had. A one-way ticket was the least of my issues. When you fill out the immigration and customs forms they ask how long you will be in the country and one asks for the airport and flight number of your return flight. I decided to play the honest game so filled in 6 months, listed POP as the airport and left the flight number blank. No one even looked at the papers. They simply took them out of my hand and added them to a stack. I was prepared to buy a return ticket that could be cashed in but there wasn?t the slightest need. The rest of the trip... My Saturday flight from Richmond Va to Newark NJ (Continental) was cancelled - I got a later flight to Newark, spent one night on the floor of the airport, didn?t get on the stand-by flight the next day, got a hotel room the next night (courtesy of Continental) and finally got out of Newark on Monday. It?s a good thing I will be here longer than a long weekend - that?s what I had in Newark!

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
THIS country holds the airlines responsible for ensuring tourists have a return ticket. So your chances of having this rule enforced depends on:

1. the airline

2. where you are flying from

3. dumb stupid LUCK

Some check some dont - some agents take it serious and some dont.

Are you feeling lucky? Do you have access to money if you need to buy a last minute ticket???

codman

Mar 4, 2010
I have been going back an forth to the United States for a year and a half now always with one way tickets and never a problem. Book it online to get the best price!!

Noir

Feb 10, 2010
hi my name is nikos and I'll come to DR to enroll in an uni on april 29.I'm flying in from greece via germany and land in santo domingo.Is there any problem if i dont have a return flight ticket with me?can i say something if they give me trouble?

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
One-way ticket

NIkos - if you will read all the posts in this thread you will have enough information to make a decision. Just be friendly and do your research ahead of time so that IF someone gives you a hard time about a return ticket that you know which one you will buy - be sure it is fully refundable so you can apply for a refund as soon as possible. Chances are that you will not have any problems.