Travel Question RE: Travel through USA to get to Canada

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Hi guys.

I am in the middle of booking a flight for my husband to come to Canada. I found a cheap cheap flight via OneTravel.com but he has a connection in Atlanta and a connection Minneapolis. He only has a Spousal Visa. Will this be a problem? Has anyone done this before?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Since 911 no transit visas are issued through the US.

Others can confirm that his options with a first flight to Canada with a PR visa are Air Canada, Air Transat and Westjet. Please ask before booking.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I called WestJet and they booked it no problem, confirming he would have no problem. Air Transat - wouldn't book for me - it wasn't an option on-line to book from Puerta Plata.

Air Canada was 3 times the price.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
he will be interrogated prior to leaving DR - this goes easier if you're there with him. if you're not they'll ask a lot of questions - I think he can only fly into Toronto or Montreal too - I"ll have to check my info but I remember being restricted on this as well.
he cannot stop in the US.
We flew westjet from laRomana to Toronto.
let me know if you have other questions.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
its the charter flights that are the problem - just looked at my booking - charters don't permit one way flights out of the dominican.
that's why we ended up flying into to Toronto first - that was the only direct flight - was from DR to toronto then to calgary - only charters do one ways into calgary

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
we didnt experience any interrogation.

they asked for passport, cedula and visa

even with my husband having 2 peoples visas inside his passport it was not difficult

yes...we were stressed for a few moments that he would be allowed to pass through without difficulty but after verifying who he was and where he was going they let him through.

best advice is to be there early and get through security...bring extra pesos for the last presidente he will have for awhile...pequenos are the price of grandes!

comparatively speaking.....the flight home is nothing to stress about!!!

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
the interrogation leaving DR is new - its because of recent increase in people trying to produce fake visas from canada. the guy who also flew out that day by himself said his was in a seperate room where they asked him way more questions - my husband and I went through increased security and they asked a lot of questions but he wasn't taken to a private room - later while we waited for the plane they came and asked for his visa and passport - they took it for a while - and came back and didn't say anything - they said they needed to keep a copy - I was very nervous while it was gone but it was no big deal.
the interrogation when we got to canada - well it wasn't even an interrogation.. they didn't even ask him what he was bringing with him.
that part was easy.

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
Is it truly a diligent check for those leaving to Canada? I heard it seems Dominicanos leaving the country often suffer from petty jealousy by the part of the DR agent and are given a tought time just for that reason? Am I wrong?

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
it could be that - they say its because of fraudulant visas - not sure I just know they didn't check my husband as closely and I was told by another traveler with a canadian visa - that it was likely because i was with him - who really knows it could even be different in every airport.