sunwing tourist card

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Hola friends, just wanted to know if the tourist card gets handed out with Sunwing. Previous travels have included them but, just looked at my e-ticket, and it says 10$ required for it. Anyone travelled recently from Toronto with Sunwing and give me an answer?

Thanxs, Dougie J.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Sorry but it's my understanding that with SunWing both the cost of the Tourist Card ($10US per person) and the cost of the Departure Tax ($20US per person) must be paid locally in $US cash by the traveler. SunWing includes neither in their packages.

Gregg

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I traveled with Sunwing in November and as FireGuy stated both the tourist card and departure grab had to be paid at the airport prior to leaving the airport or getting on the plane depending on which end of the vacation you are on.

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
I just traveled to POP on the 14th of Jan.,....but it was Skyservice...no extra charges at the Toronto airport, maybe it's a Sunwing thing.

But in all the times that I have been flying charters, whether DR or Cuba,,,flight only out of Toronto...I have never been charged for tourist cards...and I tend to fly very frequently, almost monthly....so this is news to me...and I use Sunwing lots...must be a recent change in policy, or the travel agency you buy the ticket from...

I deal with sunseekers.ca for all my flights....

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
3 flights with sunwing in six months now to punta cana always $10 to get in and $20 to get out.
Sept 09
dec09
feb 10
same thing every time
makes no difference who you book with everyone on the flight is the same
don't answer a question unless you know the answer people

Reactions: mike l

niagaraman

Jan 18, 2006
Dave you are right.....the travel agent shouldn't make a difference....it must be a Sunwing thing....for sure it's not Air Transat or Skyservice, never charged with those carriers...taxes to the DR are high enough, around $310 now plus ticket

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
These things are potentially adjusted on a seasonal basis.

In Canada all the Tour Operators Air Canada Vacations, Transat Holidays, Nolitours, Sunquest, Tours Mont Royal, eyc.; EXCEPT SunWing include both the Tourist Card and Departure Tax in their pricing. SunWing includes neither. It is my unconfirmed understanding that direct seller Go Travel South (successor from Go Travel Direct) includes the Tourist Card BUT not the Departure Tax.

Gregg

Reactions: mike l

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Thanks everybody, I guess it's a Sunwing thing. Not looking forward to that line in pop.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Thanks everybody, I guess it's a Sunwing thing. Not looking forward to that line in pop.

As long as everyone has the correct change it goes fairly quickly. Once you get the Tourist Card you hand it back a few meters further down the line - should be called a Tourist Card Rental Fee - LOL.

Gregg

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Since Sunwing does not include the $10 US tourist card nor the $20 US departure tax, why do they charge the same $320 CDN in taxes as Signature, Nolitours, Sunquest, and Transat?

Last edited by a moderator:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Since Sunwing does not include the $10 US tourist card nor the $20 US departure tax, why do they charge the same $320 CDN in taxes as Signature, Nolitours, Sunquest, and Transat?

And here's another point to ponder...

If almost all the charters charge about the same "Taxes and Fees" from Canada of about $320 per person, why do I only pay Taxes and Fees of about $125 - $135 per person when flying on an Aeroplan Reward Ticket which also has on board all the Air Canada Vacations clients. The charge varies a tiny bit depending on Departure airport, Routing and Arrival Airport but less than $10 variance and the Tourist Card and Departure Tax IS included. It does not vary if the ticket is Economy or Executive Class.

Mind you I'm not complaining.

Gregg

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
take a look at Sunwing versus Westjet. Sunwing has lower airfares with higher taxes than West jet but in the end even with West Jets lower taxes they are always a little higher. Sunwing sucks you in with their lower flight fares and tacks on the higher taxes after. That being said in the Ottawa travel scene they are usually the cheapest to Punta Cana.
dave

angel

Feb 22, 2003
I work for Transat, and we have included tourist card cost ( u get this on the plane) and departure tax ( $20usd) for more than a year now.
our total taxes for the DR from Toronto are a total of $320.25

usernamehmmm

Dec 25, 2009

I just got back from my Sunwing trip to POP. Actually, the line for people without tourist cards was much shorter than the line for people with tourist cards given to them on the plane.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
These things are potentially adjusted on a seasonal basis.

In Canada all the Tour Operators Air Canada Vacations, Transat Holidays, Nolitours, Sunquest, Tours Mont Royal, eyc.; EXCEPT SunWing include both the Tourist Card and Departure Tax in their pricing. SunWing includes neither. It is my unconfirmed understanding that direct seller Go Travel South (successor from Go Travel Direct) includes the Tourist Card BUT not the Departure Tax.

Gregg

You can now consider your statement on Go Travel South confirmed :glasses:

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Go Travel South Bankrupt

My last post is now irrelevant as Go Travel South shut it's doors today.
All travelers for Canadian departures were left stranded and I suspect any travelers that arrived in the DR via Go Travel South are now looking for alternate transport to leave the DR.

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Just got back to canada with sunwing. 10$ into the country, 20 departure way out. Our friends flew with sunquest and nolitours and neither tax had to be paid. Won't be flyng with sunwing anymore.