Quebec woman adopts six Haitian children, bringing total to 14

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
It's certainly an interesting article but shouldn't actual orphans be the first priority? I can see the plight of parents who can't provide as good an opportunity for these kids in Haiti as they would get in some other countries but surely there are huge numbers of kids without any family love in Haiti who perhaps should be a higher priority for adoption.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It's certainly an interesting article but shouldn't actual orphans be the first priority? I can see the plight of parents who can't provide as good an opportunity for these kids in Haiti as they would get in some other countries but surely there are huge numbers of kids without any family love in Haiti who perhaps should be a higher priority for adoption.

It seems..... thanks in no small part to the renegade missionaries who were stealing the children.... that Haiti will be very very very slow now to let any of the children out of the country...

http://www.newser.com/story/79374/haiti-slows-adoptions-amid-trafficking-fears.htm
UNICEF - Press centre - Statement by UNICEF Executive Director Ann M. Veneman on the situation of children in Haiti

Reactions: AlterEgo

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think it's more in the province of Quebec with an additional supplement and they also have a decent child care subsidy. And think of the tax credits and parental leave... I'm seeing a new episode of "Hoarders" in my minds eye or a reality TV show "And six makes 14."

Haitians are very welcomed in Quebec... which seeks them out to increase the Francophone population. Haitians refer to it as Haiti's foreign aid program... supply Quebec with educated Haitians.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Government programs in Qu?bec

It's expensive to raise a child, how can she do it with 14?

government program assistance

I've lived and worked in the province of Qu?bec and they do provide a lot of assistance for families depending on income. In addition to the federal child tax credit issues monthly to all Canadian families eligible usually with incomes under $100, 000/yr, the province has it's own credit issued quarterly. QC also provides free dental care to children under 10, prescription drug coverage and Canada has a public health care system... so I could see how this woman could get by. Living expenses are lower in QC too. The price of homes is very reasonable and there is no charge for municipal water and because of all the hydro dams in the region...their elecric bills are significantly lower...I don't know what I'm doing living in Ontario now...Oh yes, I remember, it's all the language issues and crappy politics of QC.....