Gold Panning in the Dominican Republic

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Uh I got one...Not long ago a company called Barrick (from Canada) came to The DR and found tons of gold (one of the largest gold mines in the world as a matter of fact)...then they paid off the government and they were given all the gold without having to give anything back in return...How's that for a good gold finding story?...Yeah I know I'm bitter about the whole Barrick situation...:tired:

Anyhow...if you want to find your own gold then you can take a tour with these guys

Gold Panning Adventures and other Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic Things to Do Tips - VirtualTourist.com

Gold Panning Excursions in the Dominican Republic

Or if you have enough money to pay up some bribes the government will give it to you for free...

Jan 5, 2006
As a child, I always saw women in small brooks in the campo doing what they referred to as "lavando oro" (washing gold), which to me looked more like washing dirt. Never saw or heard of anyone finding anything more than miniscule particles of gold.

Reactions: mike l

KKtraveler

Feb 16, 2010
I know there is some in the Yaque del Norte, I have found it. Mainly smaller pieces of flake, but a few small nuggets.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Does anyone have any good stories about finding Gold in the DR?
There was another thread just recently about gold, it has seemed to disappear.

I posted in it and TheHun posted in it just a few days ago, I searched by both usernames, and no thread was found.

Guess we can't talk about finding Gold.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
There was another thread just recently about gold, it has seemed to disappear.

I posted in it and TheHun posted in it just a few days ago, I searched by both usernames, and no thread was found.

Guess we can't talk about finding Gold.

That's one interpretation, albeit wrong.

The first thread was started by one individual and then responded to by a sock puppet of the OP who offered as a contribution a SPAM link to a pay for gold panning excursion. To leave the comments and remove the SPAM and the SPAM setup would have made no sense so all were deleted.

Sometimes, just sometimes, there are reasons for what happens here - LOL.

Gregg
Mod.

KKtraveler

Feb 16, 2010
Uh I got one...Not long ago a company called Barrick (from Canada) came to The DR and found tons of gold (one of the largest gold mines in the world as a matter of fact)...then they paid off the government and they were given all the gold without having to give anything back in return...How's that for a good gold finding story?...Yeah I know I'm bitter about the whole Barrick situation...:tired:

Anyhow...if you want to find your own gold then you can take a tour with these guys

Gold Panning Adventures and other Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic Things to Do Tips - VirtualTourist.com

Gold Panning Excursions in the Dominican Republic

Or if you have enough money to pay up some bribes the government will give it to you for free...

I have been trying to read up on this situation. Anybody have any good links or info about Barrick in the DR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That's one interpretation, albeit wrong.

The first thread was started by one individual and then responded to by a sock puppet of the OP who offered as a contribution a SPAM link to a pay for gold panning excursion. To leave the comments and remove the SPAM and the SPAM setup would have made no sense so all were deleted.

Sometimes, just sometimes, there are reasons for what happens here - LOL.

Gregg
Mod.

Interesting explanation,
...would that be something like the two links in post #2 of this thread as quoted below?

Don

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Don,

The difference with those links is that they were not posted by a sock puppet of the OP therefore they become information or recommendations, not SPAM.

Gregg

P.S. - It was a different link, also.

Reactions: Bronxboy

rescatara

Apr 24, 2009
thars gold

in dem dere hills....
once upon a time in the middle 80's . a u.s. guy came here and you know the rest. Met a girl and was not leaving without her. BEING A YOUNG GUY FROM THE WESTERN STATES he knew how to work a river and they did work together.
Of course there were two or three of them working that section of river and he brought in to my friends shop a bag every two months. He did not really handle river gold so , for a small fee he would take it to another gold dealer.
Of course the story has a happy ending....
they got on a plane together.

KKtraveler

Feb 16, 2010
we went Gold Panning yesterday, just outside of Jarabacoa in a beautiful little stream. It was 4 of us, spent the afternoon there and found quite a bit of Gold. Great time.:classic: