mistake on visitors visa application affect PR / can police check be done outside DR?

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
Before I got married I filed for a visitors visa for my now husband to come visit me in Canada. He already has a visitors visa for the US. On the application for the visitors visa there is a part that says "relationship to person you are visiting" on this part the lawyer wrote friend instead of girlfriend and when he went to inquire about submitting his application in US they told him that he had to apply in his country and they kept the forms and took the money form him. Will this cause any problems when we submit the application for him to obtain his PR and come here to live with me? Do they even keep those forms?

question 2:
If my boyfriend is not in the DR when I file the immigration papers in Canada, Can he have his police check and medical done in NY where he will be residing for about 5 months? also if he can have these done in NY,will the police check and medical results be given to him to mail with the immigration application? or do they send it for him to DR once the application is filed?

Thanks,
Ana

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I know one thing. He will need a police certificate from EVERY country who resided more than 6 months - regardless of his immigration status- meaning, even if he was a tourist or lived in the country illegally.
From the US he will need a Federal AND a State Criminal Record. If he lived in different states more than 180 days he will need from all of the state.
I think - but I'm not positive - the medical check can be done by anywhere, but it has to be done by an appointed doctor. CIC will provide a list.

The Hun

One more thing:
The medical results won't be given to him. The doctor will mail this to the CIC directly.
The criminal records will be mailed to him and he has to send the originals ( legal translation of it is necessary also, unless it's in English or French).
You can find most of the answers of your questions on the CIC website. Also call the CIC and get the most official answers.

Last edited:

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
I just wanted to clarify that he has never lived in the US for six months or more I am just trying to find out if since he will be in NY at the time of the processing, if he can go to the dominican consulate or embassy in NY and have the police check that he requires for DR in NY

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hi Ana,

I believe that your husband can go to the Dominican consulate and have them request the Dominican police check on his behalf. They would give him a copy which you would submit with the application.

As for the medical, if you can have it done in NY by an appointed doctor, your husband would have to tell them the application is being processed in the Dom Rep to ensure the results are sent to the right place. They will give your husband the medical receipt which you submit with the PR application.

Best thing to do in both cases is to contact the Dominican consulate directly to make sure they can help with the police check and how it would take to get the results..then to call the CIC call center to ask about the medical being done in NY.

I find it interesting that the Canadian Consulate in NY wouldn't allow him to apply for a Canadian visitors visa as one of our other members (SBT) just went through the same thing and her husbands visitor visa was approved.

If they took the application & the money, there should be a reference number to that application that CIC will find when processing the PR application. I would make sure you check the box that you have applied for a visitor visa and then explain the circumstance surrounding it.

It will not affect you negatively and won't matter that you put 'friend'. Your relationship has since evolved to "married" and that is what they will be focusing on.

Good Luck!

Sangria

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
Thank you so much sangria. I just wanted to ask another question. The Lawyer put 'friend' on the application quite recently, it was in January. So do you think that they will find it weird that our relationship went from friend to married in about 2months? Also I didn't see anywhere that asked if he applied for a Canadian visa before on the application, are you sure it is there? and if it is not there should I include what happened on a seperate piece of paper just so that they don't find it on their own?

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Hey Anita

I would not worry about the friend wording. I put friend and then girlfriend on our two donations to the embassy for a visitor's visa. Our permanat residence visa was not affected. There were never any questions on this.

Good luck

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
One of the forms has a list of questions and you have to check yes or no.

I will find the IMM form number tonight and post it.

One question is if you have ever applied for a permanent or temporary visa to Canada and were denied.

You would have to say yes.

When we applied I put an asterisk and see attached note. Then attached a separate paper labelled with all pertinent info and the IMM form number and question number explaining anything that I felt we needed to elaborate on.

You don't have to do that but if you feel that you need to explain something further you should do it.

You have 1 shot to prove your relationship on paper and its not always black and white.

Some people have written letters to explain their relationship. We just provided long and detailed answers.

Both ways are right.

Don't worry about focusing on having the right answer. Just tell your story from the heart and honestly.

Sangria

SBT

Jan 5, 2010
My husband has applied for and was granted a VISA several times at the embassy in NY. They always asked "WHY" he wasnt applying in his own country - and always said, because of the timing, that it takes about 10 days and our schedule didnt permit the 10 day wait.

I think he has had 4 or 5 so far - on the first few, I put friend and on the last two since we were married, wife. His PR hasnt been finalized yet - but our last correspondence from them said the file was ready to be finalized (no interview) SO I dont think it was a big issue that we also said friend.

Medicals can be done anywhere and they send the results. Police check has to be done in DR - But I think he can send someone to get it for him with a copy of his cedula.

anita29

Mar 5, 2009
Thank you so much SBt for you help. I am new at this as we have not submitted the application in yet (it will be submitted in April) and this can all be confusing. I don't know what I would do with out this site. It can be so difficult to find information specifically on dr

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
The question is on the Schedule 1 Background Declaration Form IMM 0008.

It is question #9...3rd bullet point asks if you have ever been refused a visitor visa to canada or any other country.

There is a bigger box at the end of the bullet points that says if you answered yes to any of the points, please explain more.

This is where you can fill in the information about what happened or if there isn't even room, say "please see attached" and explain on a separate piece of paper.