Holy Week / Semana Santa 2010

Lindsaym

Feb 21, 2010
Hi! I just booked a vacation at an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana from Sunday, March 28th until Friday, April 2nd. I was just informed that I will be staying in the Dominican Republic during Holy Week and that with this there is a motorsports ban for the week. I have looked at various sources trying to find a concrete answer about the details to this ban. Some say that it is only Thursday - Sunday, others say it lasts the entire week. Also, some note that it includes snorkeling while others say that snorkeling is excluded from the ban. Could someone please help me and give me better details about this. I am so excited to be visiting but was looking forward to snorkeling and other watersports for the time I was there. Thank you so much!

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
The reason for confusion might be that it can change from year to year and government to government.

However - it tends to be - Thursday thru Sunday and includes motorized water sports. You should be fine to snorkel.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
when is holy week semana santa

Can anyone confirm the dates of Holy week when most people take off from work.

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
semana santa

Hi! I just booked a vacation at an all inclusive resort in Punta Cana from Sunday, March 28th until Friday, April 2nd. I was just informed that I will be staying in the Dominican Republic during Holy Week and that with this there is a motorsports ban for the week. I have looked at various sources trying to find a concrete answer about the details to this ban. Some say that it is only Thursday - Sunday, others say it lasts the entire week. Also, some note that it includes snorkeling while others say that snorkeling is excluded from the ban. Could someone please help me and give me better details about this. I am so excited to be visiting but was looking forward to snorkeling and other watersports for the time I was there. Thank you so much!

Re: Holy Week in DR
? Reply #18 on Feb 11, 2008, 6:34am ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone is interested here are the dates for Easter Sunday for the next 10 years.
April 12th 2009
April 4th 2010
April 24th 2011
April 8th 2012
March 31st 2013
April 20th 2014
April 5th 2015
March 27th 2016
April 16th 2017
April 1st 2018 (Honest )

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
Re: Holy Week in DR
? Reply #18 on Feb 11, 2008, 6:34am ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone is interested here are the dates for Easter Sunday for the next 10 years.
April 12th 2009
April 4th 2010
April 24th 2011
April 8th 2012
March 31st 2013
April 20th 2014
April 5th 2015
March 27th 2016
April 16th 2017
April 1st 2018 (Honest )
You should be OK

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Easter is part of the liturgical calendar. It falls on the 1 Sunday after the 1st Full Moon AFTER the equinox of March. Which is why it jumps around so much.

HB

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Easter is part of the liturgical calendar. It falls on the 1 Sunday after the 1st Full Moon AFTER the equinox of March. Which is why it jumps around so much.

HB

Holy week???
Ok we are getting there!! Easter is sunday April 4th, therefore I presume the previous week is when most take off-or is it the week following.

Jo@nna

Apr 11, 2009
Holy week starts on March 29, Monday - Good friday is April 2 and Easter Sunday is April 4.

Hope this helps!!!!

davethebodyguard

Sep 3, 2009
Last April I stayed at the Caribe club princess in Punta Cana and there was still parasailing on good friday but saturday was silent. Good luck you have the beginning of the week to have your fun.
Dave

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
But why is HE always born on the same day?
I am sorry, but we atheists just don't get it.[/]

I actually wrote to the Pope about this once. At the time I was involved in higher education and it was very annoying to sometimes have a term of 12 weeks and sometimes 8 weeks. I asked why we knew the day He was born but not the day He died. At what on earth did the day He died have to do with the moon.

Unfortuately I don't think the Pope knew the answer as the letter back said something along the lines of thank you for your communication and love and peace from His Emminence or something like that.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Here are the rules for Semana Santa for the Province of San Pedro de Macoris. Assume they will be similar for other areas.

El Comit? Provincial de Emergencia de San Pedro de Macor?s emite la presente resoluci?n.

Resoluci?n No. 001-10

01- Se instruye a los directores y encargados de las instituciones que forman el Centro de Operaciones de Emergencias Provincial (COEP) y los Centro de Operaciones de Emergencias Municipales, (COEM) a los fines de que estos realicen las coordinaciones de lugar para la activaci?n de los mismos el pr?ximo mi?rcoles que contaremos a 31 de Marzo del 2010 a partir de las 14:00.

02- Se ratifica la prohibici?n de las playas y balnearios preparado por la Direcci?n de la Defensa Civil y se ordena la publicaci?n de la misma.

03- Se ratifica la resoluci?n del Honorable Ayuntamiento del Municipio de Los Guayacanes, a trav?s de la cual se reordena la circulaci?n del transito en los poblados de Guayacanes y Juan Doli?, el cual establece que durante la conmemoraci?n de la Semana Santa el transito circulara en direcci?n Oeste Este.

04- Se proh?be la utilizaci?n de todo tipo de flotadores en playas, r?os y balnearios

05- Se proh?be el ba?o en Playas, R?os y balnearios antes de las 9:00 a.m. y despu?s de la 06:00 p.m. en toda la Provincia de San Pedro de Macor?s.

06- Se proh?be el ba?o y paseo de animales en las ?reas de ba?istas en playas, r?os y balnearios.

07- Se proh?be la venta, distribuci?n y utilizaci?n de bebidas en botellas de cristal en Playas, R?os y Balnearios.

08- Se Proh?be la exhibici?n de armas de fuego y armas blancas en los lugares p?blicos.

09- Se proh?be el transito de mas de dos personas en pasolas y motocicletas

10- Se proh?be el transito de motoristas sin el casco protector

11- Se Proh?be el transito de veh?culos pesados en las carreteras de la regi?n a partir de las 12:00 del Jueves 1ro. y hasta el Lunes 05 de Abril a las 6:00 a.m, solo se permitir? el transito de veh?culos pesados que transporten, comestibles y combustibles que circulen con la autorizaci?n correspondiente.

12- Es obligatorio la utilizaci?n del cintur?n de seguridad a los conductores de los veh?culos.

13- Se proh?be la pesca submarina en las ?reas destinadas a los ba?istas de 7:30 a.m. a 6:30 p.m./

14- Se proh?be la utilizaci?n de motores, yolas, botes y/o aparatos de deporte acu?tico en las ?reas reservadas para los ba?istas.

15- Se proh?be la m?sica popular en todos los lugares p?blicos durante el Viernes Santo

16- Se proh?be el ba?o de ni?os menores de 10 a?os sin la compa??a de un adulto en playas, r?os y balnearios de la Provincia

17- Se proh?be el lavado de veh?culos en r?os y balnearios

La presente resoluci?n tiene efecto de cumplimiento transitorio, durante la realizaci?n del Operativo Semana Santa a realizarse del 28 de Marzo al 4 de Abril del 2010 y se ordena su publicaci?n inmediata a trav?s de los medios masivos de comunicaci?n y la remisi?n de copia de la misma a las personas f?sicas y morales correspondiente.

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
holy week

Tourism Ministry Easter jet-ski ban
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that it is banning the use of jet skis, wave runners and speedboats on popular beaches throughout the Easter holiday break. The ban will be in force from 1 to 4 April, as reported in El Nuevo Dario.
The measure is aimed at reducing accidents during the peak beach-going week for domestic tourism. The Tourism Police (Politur) is in charge of enforcing Resolution 36-2010.
Boat transport to Gri Gri Lagoon and Saona, Catalina and Cayo Levantado islands may continue with special care taken for safety during the peak travel season.

georgemen

Apr 1, 2002
Holy Week

Tourism Ministry Easter jet-ski ban
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that it is banning the use of jet skis, wave runners and speedboats on popular beaches throughout the Easter holiday break. The ban will be in force from 1 to 4 April, as reported in El Nuevo Dario.
The measure is aimed at reducing accidents during the peak beach-going week for domestic tourism. The Tourism Police (Politur) is in charge of enforcing Resolution 36-2010.
Boat transport to Gri Gri Lagoon and Saona, Catalina and Cayo Levantado islands may continue with special care taken for safety during the peak travel season.