Malaria risk

E

Eeva

We are travelling to the Punta Cana (hotel Riu Naiboa) 28th of January for two week trip and we are wondering about malaria risk. Is there a risk to get malaria in that area? Should we take a malaria medication to protect ourselves? How about weather, is it raining all the time? Eeva

J

JD

I've been wondering the same thing, having seen conflicting info. The US Gov't CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm) says you need to take malaria medication if visiting rural areas -- which would suggest that you don't really need it if you're only going to Punta Cana. However, Frommer's Caribbean 97 says you need to contact your doc 8 weeks in advance for malaria medication for the DR in general.

In any case, I'd recommend bringing along a strong mosquito repellent. I usually only use skin-so-soft or green ban, wishing to avoid the chemical DEET. But I fear I'll need to use that nasty chemical in the DR to be safe since we'll driving from Sosua to Las Galeras to Santo Domingo. Not sure if you need that strength for Punta Cana, though.

K

Katie

You really shouldn't aorry that much about malaria. I am american/dominican and have lived in both places. I have never gotten malaria nor have any of my friends that have come to visit me. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just bring alot of bug spray. The deep woods stuff works the best.

J

Jesse Sleeper

I just spent the last month vacationing all over the DR and was in Punta Cana as well. Not only is there no talk of Malaria but I saw four mosquitos the whole time I was there (and I hit some pretty mucky areas).

A

Al Waggoner

I've spent almost a year in the DR over the last 9 years and gone just about everywhere in the country and have never had a problem. There is malaria in the country just as there is in California, Louisiana, Florida and other parts of the world but isn't a big problem. Stay out of the swamps at dusk and don't go wading through the rice paddies and you will be fine. Mosquito repellent is a good idea even in the absence of a real malaria threat because there are mosquitos in some areas.

C

Cindy

Check out Debbie's website -- Travellers Health Information... the first topic discussed is Malaria. Use the link below: