Haiti housing solutions

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
transfer the other postings on the containers?

show me the link to the thread and I will see

could not find them

we had a few post on the containers

but perhaps there could be a merge with housing and sanitation?

this particular category is getting too many threads in it that are active ...

people will not have time to scan them all and there is valuable information in some of them

thanks

maybe Peter in Brat can help identify his posts on containers and we should just merge those here

May 29, 2006
I'm backing down a bit for the containers as housing at least for now because there is such a greater demand for housing that can be done with less than a day's work and I think the availability of containers would be limited.

Containers for now should be used for field offices and on site storage since they can be secured more readily. Too hot? Just bury half of it with the north side exposed. Line it up east to west. You'll have about two months around June when the sun is to the north but it won't be horrendous. You could also face it to east so it gets sun in the morning all year, but after noon it would be sheltered by earth.

The parameters I'm trying to work with are under $500 for 16 sq meters minimum with the covering and some finish work to be provided by the occupants. They should also be able to be built with minimum skills and tools. I'm trying to keep the parts list to less than 10 different items. The latest idea uses 4" PVC posts filled with concrete set 1 ft into the ground and a 3/4" PVC pipe woven to make a support for the covering. All pipes are tied where they cross and the ends are connected with 1/2" rebar:

34h6jif.jpg

For now the shelters simply need to be built to greenhouse specs with an opaque covering and able to withstand high winds. If possible, I'd be using Tyvek for the covering since it reflects light, is UV resistant and is moderately priced. Something like this could be covered with steel mesh(tied to the PVC piping) with a skim coat of stucco.

May 29, 2006
These guys have some potential:

http://worldshelters.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/emergency-shelter-designs-Haiti-20100220.pdf

But I'm concerned about using bamboo as a structrural member. I hear it rots quickly in Haiti due to a specific insect. Nice they have the covering included in the kit. I like the connector system. They are quoting $1500 per unit. Still kind of pricey but maybe ok with the covering...

Another one of their shelters looks a lot like the one I just came up with:

11l67bt.jpg

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
too expensive considering circumstances

it looks nice and all for a temporary shelter...but considering the cost wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the plans, buy the rods by surplus and the canvas and get the haitians to make them...would give some a trade to help build thier lives better and would also assist the masses get homes ...

it's much easier to move ahead in life if one has roots...these would at least give some a starting point....

May 29, 2006
I completely agree. The systems have to be affordable, built with materials at hand and at a level of construction that is easily reproduced by locals. This is the foundation of the concept of Appropriate Technology.

Lex87

Mar 1, 2010
Giving people to do is worth more than you think. Idle hands are the devil's playthings after all.

Plus if you did end up teaching a trade you've done some permanent good to the community. I was just reading a story where a local man took plans to build an old fashioned chair, tweaked the design a bit, made it modular, and now he's supplying 2 continents with his chair kits.