Cabarete Beach Erosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Has anybody walked the beach towards Punta Goleta and Kite Beach lately?
I have been taking photos since the restoration and at the moment it looks to me as if we are back to square one where we started.
The sand is completely washed away, the "fence" for the Punta Goleta development is partially gone and washed up on the beach again and it is difficult to to get around the point.

I had my doubts that this restoration was going to work. Was it worth the money spent on it????

I am trying to post a link with my pictures, but I don't know, if I did it right. The Photobucket site has changed.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

May 29, 2006
What did they do for the beach restoration? Did they put in a breakwater or just dump more sand from somewhere else? Maintaining a beach is a pretty complicated thing.

Breakwaters are normally very pricey systems made from rocks 6'-8' across or from precast concrete jacks:

10zbexj.jpg

There is a whole field for coastal engineering...

I use tinypic. It is pretty easy to use..

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
What did they do for the beach restoration? Did they put in a breakwater or just dump more sand from somewhere else? Maintaining a beach is a pretty complicated thing.

Breakwaters are normally very pricey systems made from rocks 6'-8' across or from precast concrete jacks:

10zbexj.jpg

There is a whole field for coastal engineering...

I use tinypic. It is pretty easy to use..

A European company, I believe Dutch, was hired to do the restoration. They took the sand from the ocean near Rio San Juan and pumped it onto Cabarete beach. I heard there was supposed to be some kind of warranty for that. Does anybody know?

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
It was too obvious for words what would come to pass. Having lived on that stretch of beach for 4 years, I watched the sand shift and change on a regular basis - tides and moons and seasons would completely change the size of each beach, Goleta, Kite Beach, Bozo and by Rocon, each beach would double in size or practically disappear during the year. I have heard many theories for the motive of the restoration, but one thing was clear, despite the enormous cost, the imported sand was not going to stay put. Sad but true.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Interesting.....part of 2012 theory??

It was too obvious for words what would come to pass. Having lived on that stretch of beach for 4 years, I watched the sand shift and change on a regular basis - tides and moons and seasons would completely change the size of each beach, Goleta, Kite Beach, Bozo and by Rocon, each beach would double in size or practically disappear during the year. I have heard many theories for the motive of the restoration, but one thing was clear, despite the enormous cost, the imported sand was not going to stay put. Sad but true.

I believe that this is not just in Cabarete but Caribbean wide. Moons, tides, the changing weather patterns, El Nina's are all a part, I'm sure. I was in Isla Mujeres 3 years ago, north beach, huge white-sand, shallow water that reached out about 30 meters from the bars, food places, etc. Last year I was there again sitting at the same bar, not even high tide and the water was at the bar rungs splashing at your feet. Same thing in Negril and Grand Anse in Grenada in the past couple years. Lots of beautiful beaches on the decline. I don't get it. Along with the stealing of beaches and beach sand in the islands, this is not a good thing.
I'm not a believer of myths or theories but have been doing alot of reading on the 2012 end of time website and the HARP facility in Fairbanks Alaska.
Could this be part of whats to come? Think back 20years ago, look at how the weather has changed things and peoples lives. Every year, more and more weather related deaths, more hurricanes, although this year was a blessing for most of the Caribbean, snow in 38 states, more rain, more heat, icebergs floating down to NS and Bar Harbor, earthquakes, more earthquakes, and tsunami's...is this all a part of whats to come?
I think I will pick...maybe Bora Bora in December, 2012 and go out in style!

Reactions: woofsback

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
careful

bluebayou - Interesting.....part of 2012 theory??

is this all a part of whats to come?

early post was cancelled due to this topic....
don't want this one to get closed for the same reason

maybe the mods will let us have a chance at thread like that if they set up some parameters or something.....can't see the harm considering a lot of other harmless threads get canned because they get out of hand?

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Post? what post?

bluebayou - Interesting.....part of 2012 theory??

is this all a part of whats to come?

early post was cancelled due to this topic....
don't want this one to get closed for the same reason

maybe the mods will let us have a chance at thread like that if they set up some parameters or something.....can't see the harm considering a lot of other harmless threads get canned because they get out of hand?

Am I missing something? Don't remember seeing a post on 2012 or Bora Bora
This is a NEW post and is about losing beaches.....I hold my breath.
Interesting site on 2012, HARP and the NYC 911 deal....let me know if you're interested, I can post the links.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
2012 is considered not dr related as far as a post i made earlier...
was just trying to warn you that this thread could be closed if we go too far off the original topic

on your comments about the beach erosion...plenty of what you said makes sense :)

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
2012 is considered not dr related as far as a post i made earlier...
was just trying to warn you that this thread could be closed if we go too far off the original topic

on your comments about the beach erosion...plenty of what you said makes sense :)
soooo... 2012 is taboo? but witchcraft is OK?
As you know 2012 is WORLDWIDE and should be related.
Let me think abour this one.....
Thanks for the warning Woofs

May 29, 2006
The truth behind 2012:

truth-about-2012-mayan-calander.gif

Beach erosion is nothing new. They spend millions in the US every year on "beach nourishment" which includes building groins and breakwaters and importing sand. HAARP was not around for the 1960 Chile earthquake or for the last Port au Prince earthquake almost 200 years ago.

If you have current and tides on a beach, sand is going to move and not always where you want it. Hiring a Dutch firm to do tropical beach engineering sounds like a bad idea from the get-go. The Dutch are great engineers but you don't hear about Holland being the Riviera of northern Europe either. Paying too much for a project that didn't work sounds just a wee bit more plausible for how things happen in the DR than a bunch of mad scientists in Alaska with a grudge against kite boarders.

Another company that may be able to help is Reefball. They build artificial reefs which reduce currents that can erode a beach away, but they are not cheap. Here is a small one that was just cast:

onland.gif

Here is a before/after shot of the same beach in the DR with no import of sand:

Before:
2mycm6q.jpg

After 4 years later:

2ur5wxz.jpg

It's not cheap, but the reefballs quickly get coral growth on them and attract marine life. They are often used to create dive site locations.

Reef Ball

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
I still chose Bora Bora....

The truth behind 2012:

truth-about-2012-mayan-calander.gif

Beach erosion is nothing new. They spend millions in the US every year on "beach nourishment" which includes building groins and breakwaters and importing sand. HAARP was not around for the 1960 Chile earthquake or for the last Port au Prince earthquake almost 200 years ago.

If you have current and tides on a beach, sand is going to move and not always where you want it. Hiring a Dutch firm to do tropical beach engineering sounds like a bad idea from the get-go. The Dutch are great engineers but you don't hear about Holland being the Riviera of northern Europe either. Paying too much for a project that didn't work sounds just a wee bit more plausible for how things happen in the DR than a bunch of mad scientists in Alaska with a grudge against kite boarders.

Another company that may be able to help is Reefball. They build artificial reefs which reduce currents that can erode a beach away, but they are not cheap. Here is a small one that was just cast:

onland.gif

Here is a before/after shot of the same beach in the DR with no import of sand:

Before:
2mycm6q.jpg

After 4 years later:

2ur5wxz.jpg

It's not cheap, but the reefballs quickly get coral growth on them and attract marine life. They are often used to create dive site locations.

Reef Ball

I was looking at the cause, not the cure. You can't control the weather, but don't under estimate HAARP until you've been to Fairbanks and have seen what I have. HAARP was designed for one thing, and is being used for another. We'll leave it at that.
As far as 2012 goes, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Again I would not under estimate the Mayans credibility either. Incredibly smart people, and accurate on most of their predictions.

May 29, 2006
But the beach by The Waterfront in Sosua wasn't there at all ten years ago. It's not the water rising, it's the island shifting with seismic activity and/or it's erosion. If there is a shift out in the ocean, it can change the currents that will either dump or erode sand from a beach. There were areas in Haiti where the coast lifted or sunk by as much as ten feet. You can see trees sticking out of the water a hundred yards out in the ocean now in some places and there are reefs sticking up in others. All that limestone they cut for paving stones was once underwater as coral. If you don't want a beach to disappear, don't just dump sand on it. Hire an engineer and install a breakwater. It sounds like they put in some rinky dink system in Cabarete so it failed.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
isnt this called NATURE?

you know.. kind of how the grand canyon was formed. or many islands that are a result of volcano's or earthquakes. mountain ranges. glaciers creating lakes. swamp land becoming states. states becoming swampland. etc...

i mean, i agree, it sucks to lose a beach. but perhaps mother nature doesnt want people intruding on her plan?

i mean this seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.