Larimar

KKtraveler

Feb 16, 2010
Does anyone know if they have tours of the Larimar mines or if they sell the rough Larimar stones??

May 29, 2006
It is in the middle of nowhere but you might be able to get some good deals on the stones in rough and slabs. Do some research on the stone because the value can vary from about 50 cents a gram finished to over $15 a gram. The market is flooded with cheap "toothpaste" stuff now and often has matrix in it. It really is something to see a very high quality stone with indigo blues, milky white veins and good chatoyancy. It is a hard stone to work and prone to shattering.

You also might want to check out the Larimar museum in SD:

Larimar Museum, Blue Pectolite Larimar from the Caribbean

KKtraveler

Feb 16, 2010
Does anyone know someone that sells rough Larimar for a decent price or should I travel to the mines and try my luck??

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does anyone know someone that sells rough Larimar for a decent price or should I travel to the mines and try my luck??

From what I have heard the shops near the mines are at least 1/2 to 1/3 of the prices in SD.
Im not too knowledgable on the where the mines are but coincidently I have a good,out of town friend asking me where the largest mines are for these raw stones. Anyone??

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Go to Barahona

If you can, go to Barahona. It is one of the most beautiful parts of the Dominican Republic and worth the trip even without the larimar. In Barohuco near the Hotel Pontevedre there is a small workshop and store where they sell the finished product and I'm sure you could get the raw stones. I did not go but there are local companies that arrange tours of the mines. Ask at the hotel. Be careful as safety is not always thier top priority and people have been killed in the mines.

Jan 22, 2010
Bahoruco

same advice as previous post...

you have to travel to Bahoruca(near Barahona) and you can buy the larimar there

a couple of years ago I entered the mine is impressing

T.E.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I know someone with contacts in Bahoruco's mines. Young guy from Bahoruco but lives on north coast. He travels a few times a year there with someone from Europe to assist in purchasing in bulk. Spanish speaking only. If you want his contact info, send me a PM.

He's on his way back today, but would likely make another trip if requested.

AngelaO

Mar 6, 2010
I was talking with my dermatologist about Larimar just yesterday. She said that her boyfriend owns one of the mines. While that's cool in a "small world" kind of way, it doesn't do me any good.
I would love a good quality Larimar bead necklace. Are there any good deals to be had in Santo Domingo? I simply don't have the time (this trip) to go to Bahoruco, no matter how great it sounds. What should I expect to pay for a nice strand? I don't need fancy, but I don't want crap.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I was talking with my dermatologist about Larimar just yesterday. She said that her boyfriend owns one of the mines. While that's cool in a "small world" kind of way, it doesn't do me any good.
I would love a good quality Larimar bead necklace. Are there any good deals to be had in Santo Domingo? I simply don't have the time (this trip) to go to Bahoruco, no matter how great it sounds. What should I expect to pay for a nice strand? I don't need fancy, but I don't want crap.

Check out the Larimar museum off el conde on moreno or a japanese owned place on palo hincado. nice stuff has a nice price.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
There's only one Larimar mine in Bahoruco and it's not owned by anyone in particular, it's run by a sindicate. If anyone is interested in purchasing bulk raw or cut stones, let me know, my family is from Bahoruco and I have very good contacts there.

Do not venture to the Larimar mine alone, the road is bad and you need 4-wheel vehicle to get there, also the mine is not the safest place to go if you go by yourself. In any case purchase Larimar at the shop by Casa Bonita or the one in front of the old (and abandoned) Barcelo Bahoruco Beach Resort, easy to find once you reach Bahoruco, a 20 minute drive from Barahona.

If you need more info on Larimar or contact information, please PM me.

Thanks