SDQ "Impedimento de salida"

willgomz

Jan 1, 2005
Last Sunday Feb 28, i was questioned by an immigration lady officer at the Santo Domingo International Airport because apparently my name had a "impedimento de salida". I was born in the dominican but became a US citizen from a LOOONG time ago. She first looked at me..then my passport like 4 times, then asked me why was it that i didnt have 2 last names, just one. I was like....what f*ck??? that's none of your damn business.

She wanted me to tell her my life's story about how i'm a bastard child because my punk ass father left me and my mom....

I asked her if there was a problem and she went on to say that there was a "impedimento de salida" and i was not allowed to leave the country because someone with my same first name, middle name and last name was in some sort of trouble. (my middle name is a made up name that's very rare so i knew from that that she was lying)

Of course i freaked and i was like...."Wait...what???! Are you kidding me?! i was like...."Am i on punk'd?" "I'm a US citizen, this and that... i was soo ****ed, uno comes here for enjoyment of the motherland and some ppl just wanting a quick buck and waste your time.

She kept giving me a stare as if i had commited a crime or something. Finally after 10 or 15 minutes of me just arguing w/her to check her stupid system she let me go and said she was "giving me a break". Ugh!

Upon arrival to the US i told the Custom agent in Miami about the problem in DR and asked him to check if my name was related to anything suspicious and he said that they were just looking to make a few bucks and that he had heard that same thing before.

How frustrating it is to go back to "nuestro pais" and have dumb f*ckers mess your experience just cause they're looking to get a quick buck. My wife is a born US citizen and doesnt speak spanish, so the DR immigration lady didnt even ask her a question, but me....since my passport says i was born there, and i spoke to her in spanish to say "como tu ta" she took that chance to be a b*tch.

Is sad that our people treat us like this just because they may be jealous. They think that because uno e de afuera we are rich and got money. Cuando uno aca get up at 5am to go to work and pasa frio en la calle.
but it's alright.. I learned my lesson for the next time, just lookout for myself just be a dick and speak to them in english as if you're not from there...if they say to you..."oye, pero tu ere dominicano....,po ke tu no me habla espa?ol? just say...."you work in an "INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT"...speak english or get another job." They give you sh*t? grab a piece of paper and a pen and write their name and Badge # and ask for their supervisor.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Will

I feel your pain. I'm a gringo and live here in Santiago and this type of stuff happens to me too. On my two trips to Haiti I have been hassled on my way back in and told I needed to pay US25 dollars to get back in but it is a lie as asked an immigration officer on my way out of the country.

I'm more or less bilingual and have found that to be helpful and hurtful at the same time. For example, when I was crossing over into Haiti I made the mistake of responding to the officer in Spanish when he asked me a question. Therefore I had to go in and fill out the plan piloto papers even though they were letting all the other gringos go right by. I let them know right up front I wasn't paying squat because I was an American doing missionary work; in a respectful but stern tone of course.

Funny how they assumed I was Dominican when I was leaving but on the way in when they saw my American passport they told the leader of the caravan I was with that I had to pay US25 right in front of me in Spanish. Needless to say I stopped just short of giving them a boche :) but let them know I wasn't about to pay squat and if they kept pressing me a couple of phone calls would square it away. :)

Nonetheless, none of us had to pay anything and at the end in the typical Dominican way we apologized for any inconvenience for not wanting to be swindled and wished them a good day, jeje. They realize it is all game too. If you don't believe me the first time I came in from Haiti one of the officers kept badgering about paying and when he finally gave up he went and sat on a chair in the shade and asked a friend of his to ask me for a tip as he was thirsty. He was smiling too.

Just remember one thing about the motherland - the politicians make all of the money this country produces and make these petty officials look like just that.

willgomz

Jan 1, 2005
Hey Chip...
sorry you got stuck in a similar boat as me. DR is a great country filled with kind people. But every once in awhile you come across idiots who are just trying play you like a sucker. If you are still living in Santiago, don't let them bring you down.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
you were lucky that it was in DR and you spent just 10 mins arguing.
Do not take it too seroius.
Arrogance sometimes doesnt work.
it happen to thousands of people daily in US airports for minors things and they take you to another room for hours.
Years ago, I took 6 months off to travel, and spent 4 months is US traveling across the country. when I cameback to US nex time for my normal 2 weeks holidays, an inmigration officer asked me so many questions about why I spent 4 months in US?
My dominican arrogance went out when he asked me about my salary
I answer him, think about what you earn and multiply it for 3, thats my salary.
He got mad and sent me to another room and I have to wait for more than an hour for an interview.
Of course in US they are not asking for money. but they did to you here?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Don't get me started about the Dominicans at the American embassy. All I can say is absolute power corrupts absolutely. When I go I refuse to speak Spanish and if the people can't keep up I ask for a supervisor.

In addition to the many times I have recieved grossly false information just recently they were trying to start problems when I was declaring my youngest daughter last year. I filled out the evidence of time in the States form not according to their liking and the employee sent me packing. I let her know that the only person "packing" was her and that she better let me talk to a supervisor. She was visibly nervous but then again when she oh so gladly sent some poor bastardo in front of me packing for the same reason - and this had been his fifth time! Worse was the way she treated him. At any rate I told the supervisor that the form was fine how I did it and wasn't plan on returning again. Nonetheless it was approved. :)

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
A dirty little secret here is the Dominicans see "Dominican York's" as easy marks (More so than the regular tourists in many cases.), not their "Hermanos". Many New York/Dominicans come here with lot's of cash to flash and get taken to the cleaners.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
This is one of the reasons why I hate traveling to the DR. They always try to scam you or harrass you. Last time I was there, the guy at the airline check-in wanted me to pay the extra luggage fee for my son's car seat, which is an exempt item. I argued with him for about 20 mins and then he called a supervisor and the guys is acting like he is doing me a favor this time and letting the seat go w/o a fee. When I got home, I called the airline and filed a complain.

Then the immigration inspector wants to know why we have so many stamps on our passport for different countries and starts asking my 6 yr old questions in his broken English. My son doesn't answer him and he starts asking me why the kid doesn't speak English. I tell him, my son speaks English but you don't so he doesn't understand what you are saying to him.
He then starts asking me questions about NYC and I tell him I don't know, he wants to know why I don't know what he is talking about if we are U.S. citizens. So, I tell him am going to let him in the little secret that the U.S. has 50 States and not everyone lives in NYC! He got ****ed and just told us to go.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is one of the reasons why I hate traveling to the DR. They always try to scam you or harrass you. Last time I was there, the guy at the airline check-in wanted me to pay the extra luggage fee for my son's car seat, which is an exempt item. I argued with him for about 20 mins and then he called a supervisor and the guys is acting like he is doing me a favor this time and letting the seat go w/o a fee. When I got home, I called the airline and filed a complain.

Then the immigration inspector wants to know why we have so many stamps on our passport for different countries and starts asking my 6 yr old questions in his broken English. My son doesn't answer him and he starts asking me why the kid doesn't speak English. I tell him, my son speaks English but you don't so he doesn't understand what you are saying to him.
He then starts asking me questions about NYC and I tell him I don't know, he wants to know why I don't know what he is talking about if we are U.S. citizens. So, I tell him am going to let him in the little secret that the U.S. has 50 States and not everyone lives in NYC! He got ****ed and just told us to go.

Funny story!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
.......................I asked her if there was a problem and she went on to say that there was a "impedimento de salida" and i was not allowed to leave the country because someone with my same first name, middle name and last name was in some sort of trouble. (my middle name is a made up name that's very rare so i knew from that that she was lying)

Great story. I think that everyone I know who's travelled through SDQ has a similar story to tell.

Your middle name wouldn't happen to be "Cha-Ching" would it?

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
thanx to all these stories,
newcomers and tourists will be better prepared to deal with these situations should they arise during thier stay.

i've never been shaken down myself...
but feel i'm much better armed for such a confrontation when it happens.

noticed i didn't say IF...:)
i believe in MURPHY'S LAW!!!

willgomz

Jan 1, 2005
I'm not sure why you would ask a US customs agent about an impediment de salida in the DR, one has nothing to do with the other.
"

Hey bud,

I'm not sure, i was real ticked off i guess I asked because in today's age you just never know who to believe.

willgomz

Jan 1, 2005
thanx to all these stories,
newcomers and tourists will be better prepared to deal with these situations should they arise during thier stay.

i've never been shaken down myself...
but feel i'm much better armed for such a confrontation when it happens.

noticed i didn't say IF...:)
i believe in MURPHY'S LAW!!!

I'm glad to hear....i joined these forums a long time ago and never really post anything just read, but after what happened to me i just couldn't stay shut. I wanted to I'd at least warn everyone out. it's just something to look out for.

I just couldn't even believe they had something like that in place especially when you're a US citizen where they can say to you...."You can't leave DR". At the very least i would've thought they'd have to show you evidence of a charge or something. But w/ me, it was just all about getting $.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Last Sunday Feb 28, i was questioned by an immigration lady officer at the Santo Domingo International Airport because apparently my name had a "impedimento de salida". I was born in the dominican but became a US citizen from a LOOONG time ago. She first looked at me..then my passport like 4 times, then asked me why was it that i didnt have 2 last names, just one. I was like....what f*ck??? that's none of your damn business.

She wanted me to tell her my life's story about how i'm a bastard child because my punk ass father left me and my mom....

I asked her if there was a problem and she went on to say that there was a "impedimento de salida" and i was not allowed to leave the country because someone with my same first name, middle name and last name was in some sort of trouble. (my middle name is a made up name that's very rare so i knew from that that she was lying)

Of course i freaked and i was like...."Wait...what???! Are you kidding me?! i was like...."Am i on punk'd?" "I'm a US citizen, this and that... i was soo ****ed, uno comes here for enjoyment of the motherland and some ppl just wanting a quick buck and waste your time.

She kept giving me a stare as if i had commited a crime or something. Finally after 10 or 15 minutes of me just arguing w/her to check her stupid system she let me go and said she was "giving me a break". Ugh!

Upon arrival to the US i told the Custom agent in Miami about the problem in DR and asked him to check if my name was related to anything suspicious and he said that they were just looking to make a few bucks and that he had heard that same thing before.

How frustrating it is to go back to "nuestro pais" and have dumb f*ckers mess your experience just cause they're looking to get a quick buck. My wife is a born US citizen and doesnt speak spanish, so the DR immigration lady didnt even ask her a question, but me....since my passport says i was born there, and i spoke to her in spanish to say "como tu ta" she took that chance to be a b*tch.

Is sad that our people treat us like this just because they may be jealous. They think that because uno e de afuera we are rich and got money. Cuando uno aca get up at 5am to go to work and pasa frio en la calle.
but it's alright.. I learned my lesson for the next time, just lookout for myself just be a dick and speak to them in english as if you're not from there...if they say to you..."oye, pero tu ere dominicano....,po ke tu no me habla espa?ol? just say...."you work in an "INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT"...speak english or get another job." They give you sh*t? grab a piece of paper and a pen and write their name and Badge # and ask for their supervisor.

What kind of Dominican are you? What Dominican call The DR "The Dominican" I hope the experience was bad enough for you to stay out of
"the mother land"

willgomz

Jan 1, 2005
What kind of Dominican are you? What Dominican call The DR "The Dominican" I hope the experience was bad enough for you to stay out of
"the mother land"

Ouch..Really??? you actually "hope" it was bad enough? :squareeye
Simply posting a real story for people who care for it. If you don't...simply close your internet browser and move on to something else.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
shake down

I got shaken down at a us airport on my way here. The woman wanted to know why I traveled back and forth so often and said it must have to do with drugs. I laughed and said why would you think that.

she then told me ALL my luggage was showing positive for drug residue... I again laughed and said well you better check your luggage handlers!!! cause it is not from me. I stood there being accused for over one hour and she threatened me with a cavity search. I finally got really mad and told her either let me go or lets go do the search!!! She backed right of and told me to go.

I was humiliated, mad and did not deserve that treatment. I am Canadian and have never anywhere been treated so badly as that airport!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have typically not had any problems in the airports even though I travel a couple of times a year. I have found that if you state you are a professional, such as an engineer in my case, and the reason for the visit to the DR or travel from that they will let you go right on.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
can happen to anyone.

I have typically not had any problems in the airports even though I travel a couple of times a year. I have found that if you state you are a professional, such as an engineer in my case, and the reason for the visit to the DR or travel from that they will let you go right on.

That was not the case for me... I am a Financial Planner have been for 20 years, never even had a parking ticket. Always am professional and dressed well for travel. this person in my case was looking to weild some power! It was horrible.

I traveled at that time for work and to come here maybe 6 times a year. Now I live here so not spending as much timeinthe airports.

May 12, 2005
I travel 6 to 8 times a year, usually through Santiago. I have never once had any problems at that aiport. I only occasionally get a question as to why I travel so much from US Customs when I come back home.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
"What kind of Dominican are you? What Dominican call The DR "The Dominican"

Hey look, the internet police!!!