Barahona Checklist

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I will be in Barahona from March 15-22 collecting info on the area for dr1.com. After studying the forum a bit, I've put together a checklist of places to see. Any input is greatly appreciated - feel free to subtract or add.

Also, if anyone who is knowledgeable about the area, as I see several posters are, I would love to get together and discuss any little known hole-in-the-walls. The following list does not include businesses; I will make that one up too.

I doubt I will see all these places, but I'll try to get to as many as I can:

Sights

Laguna de Oviedo
Lago Enriquillo
Cachote Bosque Nublado
Polo Magnetico
Larimar Mines
Paraiso
Rinc?n Lagoon

National Parks

Parque Nacional Jaragua
Parque Nacional Sierra de Bahoruco
Parque Nacional Sierra de Neyba
Parque Nacional Lago Enriquillo e Isla Cabrito
Reserva Cient?fica Laguna de Rinc?n

Beaches

Playa del Malec?n
Playa Punta Inglesa
Playa La Saladilla
Playa El Quemaito
La Ci?nega Beach
Playa San Rafael
Playa Los Patos
Bahia de las Aguilas
Cabo Rojo

Sulpher Spas/Swimming holes

Sulpher Spring in Canoa
Tres Marias Spa
Villa Miriam Spa
Mulito spa in Menc?a
Zurza Spa in Duverge
Pozos Ecol?gicos de Pedernales (road between Oviedo and Pedernales)
Las Cuevas de Trinicol?

Petroglyphs

Los Pichiriles (Laguna Oviedo)
La Cueva de Trinicol?, La Cueva de la Ca?ada (carretera Oviedo-Pedernales)
Isla Cabrito (Lago Enriquillo)
Las Cuevas (Parque Nacional Jaragua)

Museums

Museo de Barahona Padre Miguel Fuertes

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Barahona - the science park, the old fire station and Maria Montez's house.

Las Caritas Indias near the lake.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
When you visit the Larimar mines, also visit La Casa de Tarzan in Bahoruco, it's an ecological hotel located upriver (between Riosito and Bahoruco rivers), the trail is very uphill but it's a nature trail and you will need a 4x4 to get there, it is owned by the owners of Casa Bonita.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
When you visit the Larimar mines, also visit La Casa de Tarzan in Bahoruco, it's an ecological hotel located upriver (between Riosito and Bahoruco rivers), the trail is very uphill but it's a nature trail and you will need a 4x4 to get there, it is owned by the owners of Casa Bonita.

Is it possible to walk this trail or is it too far?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Is it possible to walk this trail or is it too far?

It is possible to walk it (I wouldn't do it, you would have to be in really good shape or be very young and I'm neither), it is really too far and uphill, it would take at least two hours round trip

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
It is possible to walk it (I wouldn't do it, you would have to be in really good shape or be very young and I'm neither), it is really too far and uphill, it would take at least two hours round trip

Ok. That doesn't sound like too bad of a walk but the heat in the south isn't fun with a walk like that either. I'll see how things pan out since I am traveling in a small SUV that is not 4x4.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think you will be able to get to Isla Cabrito easily. I got there once about 4 years ago, the National park rangers still had the boat working. After that I went to Lago Enriquillo two times, and unfortunately the boat was no longer operational, and only tour groups that brought their own boats, were able to get to the island.

But the island was beautiful, I still have some photos, if interested.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I don't think you will be able to get to Isla Cabrito easily. I got there once about 4 years ago, the National park rangers still had the boat working. After that I went to Lago Enriquillo two times, and unfortunately the boat was no longer operational, and only tour groups that brought their own boats, were able to get to the island.

But the island was beautiful, I still have some photos, if interested.

Actually, yes, I would appreciate any photos you can send and thanks for that tip. I'm talking to a tour company and trying to decide which tours to take, so Isla Cabrito might be one of them.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I will be in Barahona from March 15-22 collecting info on the area for dr1.com. After studying the forum a bit, I've put together a checklist of places to see. Any input is greatly appreciated - feel free to subtract or add.

Also, if anyone who is knowledgeable about the area, as I see several posters are, I would love to get together and discuss any little known hole-in-the-walls. The following list does not include businesses; I will make that one up too.

I doubt I will see all these places, but I'll try to get to as many as I can:

Sights

Laguna de Oviedo
Lago Enriquillo
Cachote Bosque Nublado
Polo Magnetico
Larimar Mines
Paraiso
Rinc?n Lagoon

National Parks

Parque Nacional Jaragua
Parque Nacional Sierra de Bahoruco
Parque Nacional Sierra de Neyba
Parque Nacional Lago Enriquillo e Isla Cabrito
Reserva Cient?fica Laguna de Rinc?n

Beaches

Playa del Malec?n
Playa Punta Inglesa
Playa La Saladilla
Playa El Quemaito
La Ci?nega Beach
Playa San Rafael
Playa Los Patos
Bahia de las Aguilas
Cabo Rojo

Sulpher Spas/Swimming holes

Sulpher Spring in Canoa
Tres Marias Spa
Villa Miriam Spa
Mulito spa in Menc?a
Zurza Spa in Duverge
Pozos Ecol?gicos de Pedernales (road between Oviedo and Pedernales)
Las Cuevas de Trinicol?

Petroglyphs

Los Pichiriles (Laguna Oviedo)
La Cueva de Trinicol?, La Cueva de la Ca?ada (carretera Oviedo-Pedernales)
Isla Cabrito (Lago Enriquillo)
Las Cuevas (Parque Nacional Jaragua)

Museums

Museo de Barahona Padre Miguel Fuertes

is this also the area that has many Larimar minds?

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I arrived yesterday afternoon in Barahona and checked into Hotel Quemaito, where I will be staying for the next week. The hotel has beautiful grounds, a large swimming pool and an excellent view of the ocean. My room is very spacious; so much so that the shower is its own separate small room and my bathroom is down a short hall. The room also has an ocean view terrace with A/C and hot water.

Last night, I wandered around town. This is actually my first time staying in Barahona; in the past, I've only driven through. From past suggestions on the forums, I ate at Los Robles Restaurant on the Malec?n: good menu selection and an even better atmosphere with music and a perfect look into life on the Malec?n. I just sat back and watched the locals mix cuba libres on the street, cruise by in motorcycles with their girlfriend's holding on from behind and listened as several opened up their SUV's rear door to crank up their stereo systems - not bad for a Monday night.

I had an early start this morning at 5:30am and watched the sun rise as I drove to Bahoruco to surf. A local kid rented me his surf board for the day for RD$300 pesos. The beach is very rocky but there were some nice swells.

After surfing I was treated to an excellent breakfast - which is included- at the hotel. Fruit, coffee, juice, eggs and toast. I also sank my teeth into a n?spero for the first time. I had to ask what the fruit was because it was excellent. How could I have missed this fruit for so long in the DR?

Here are a few photos I've uploaded so far. I will add more during the week and also give updates: Barahona and Beyond - DR1 Media Gallery

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith R

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Nice report and great pics, thanks for sharing...makes me want to be back there so badly.

Los Robles is great...best mofongo we have ever eaten! Nice location too.

Enjoy the rest of your time there and look forward to more updates and photos.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Today's main objective was to round up travel related business information, so I did plenty of driving up and down the streets of Barahona. I had picked up a great map of the area by the local cluster organization when I was here last month at Casa Bonita: of course, I left that map in Santo Domingo. Needless to say, I just navigated on trial and error. You know you've gone around the block a few times when people begin to wave and some guy on a motoconcho asks if you need a hotel.

Once again, from past suggestions on the board, I popped into Restaurant Pizzeria D'Lina (30 de Mayo #11 - 809.524.3681) for lunch. This is a nice spacious spot with both indoor and outdoor seating. I ordered a "plato del d?a" since everyone around me was eating one. Solid food, good price.

I was a bit disappointing to see rubbish scattered about Barahona's Playa del Malec?n. The park behind it was shabby as well with rusted jungle gym sets and used fishing nets. This could use a face-lift; much like another Malec?n I know.

In the afternoon, I shot out to Para?so to meet with the owners of Eco-tours Barahona. One, I didn't realize how far Para?so was from Barahona; two, I had forgotten just how beautiful the views are toward the Haitian Border. It was too late by the time I returned, but I should have taken photos heading out to Para?so. When the sun beams down over the southwestern coast, the turquoises are absolutely radiant. Either way, I'll be out there again before week's end.

From the pool at Hotel El Quemaito, I watched the silhouettes of palm trees as the weening moments of daylight slipped away. What is it about twilight in the Caribbean? You know dusk tomorrow will be just as beautiful as today, but you feel the need to capture each one; memorize it, savor it.

Only took a few pics today. More to come: Barahona and Beyond - DR1 Media Gallery

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Early this morning, the owner of Hotel Quemaito, Knut, brought me to see some of his new eco-touristic projects high in the mountains above San Rafael. I will not go too much into detail as they are still being constructed and I never got his authorization to promote them.

I spent the early afternoon photographing a few places in Barahona and then set off the El P?lo Magn?tico and La Laguna del Rinc?n.

Ok, the Polo Magn?tico is cool but I guess I was expecting more; like a definitive arrival with a large inviting sign and maybe a line on the street telling you exactly where to put your car in neutral and feel the "magic pull" of the Polo. Instead, there was a sun-beaten sign and a heavy set woman with two children asking for money. This is what happens when you expect things to be a certain way. Better to appreciate as is.

The Laguna del Rinc?n was immense - I can just imagine what El Lago Enriquillo is like. One of the Park Rangers gave me a small tour. I think this tour would have been very interesting for bird lovers since he shot off different bird names each time something flew by. I was more content with the expansive views of the lagoon and the mountains in the distance.

Just got back from having something small to eat at El Ricoled (Mar?a Montes, 809.524.6377). This looks more like a late night spot to eat but I enjoyed my favorite Dominican shake - batida de zapote.

Took more photos today: Barahona and Beyond - DR1 Media Gallery

tass56

Aug 31, 2006
TJ---For beaches,(small)try Playa Azul.A few min.past the checkpoint going west outside of Barahona.You'll see the stone wall on your left.Stop and have a beer at hotel Playa Azul.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
There has been some weak internet here at the hotel over the weekend and I've been running around, so I've missed some posts.

Friday, March 19

I was invited to stop by La Ci?nega to see a new community initiative. The initiative is called Guan Aventuras and it is an excellent project that is empowering local people to become producers. In this community initiative, five locals woman offer a room to rent in their home, allowing visitors to experience life with a Dominican family. Visitors can also purchase marmalade produced by local woman and even local artisan creations. All the products are found locally and produced locally. The community project also has an ocean view restaurant where unique plates of the area, that cannot be found anywhere else, are served.

Another facet of the initiative are eco-tours. Local tour guides can bring visitors to: the larimar mines, to see local coffee production, or even to far off caves in the woods. There are 33 of these caves replete with cascading waterfalls. Visitors can only see the last cave as canyoning equipment is required to see the rest and that investment needs to be made.

This is an excellent community initiative that only began in August and is really finalizing their product. Stay tuned for this.

I was able to experience some of the Barahona night life as well. I started out at Everest on the Malec?n and then went over to Los Robles, also on the Malec?n. Neither of those places were very packed but when I entered Atlantic, close to the parque central, there was plenty of people. Basically, a mix of salsa, bachata, merengue and reggeaton. The party seemed to spill over to Lotus at the Parque Central late at night. This place was a lot of fun and I was surprised to see live strippers at one point on the dance floor. All in all, a very fun night.

Saturday March, 20th

The highlight of today was La Casa de Tarz?n. I parked my car in the lot of Casa Bonita and decided to walk. I have a small SUV and I wasn't sure it could make it since you have to cross a river several times. Either way, I enjoy walking. This was an hour long, mild hike into the woods behind Casa Bonita. Very pretty scenery and a very enjoyable walk that ended with a swim in the river in front of the Casa.

Casa de Tarz?n is a 12 room log cabin built overlooking a small river. I found the place a bit dirty and shabby but according to the gentleman who takes car of the property, they clean when some is coming to rent the house. According to him, you must rent the entire house but he did not have prices. I was given the owner's number and will call for more info. I'm sure renting this house would be a great experience for a group.

Sunday, March 21

I took advantage of Sunday to drive down to some of the south beaches and get pictures. I visited Quema?to, San Rafael, Para?so and Los Patos. At Los Patos I stuck around for awhile to cool off in the river and eat.

Up until this point, my favorite scenic road of the country was Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa. This is an amazing mountain road that passes through Valle Nuevo and down to San Jose. The highway out to Los Patos is just as stunning as Valle Nuevo. I can't count how many times I was forced to stop the car to take pictures. The views of the mountains and turquoise waters are really incredible.

Monday March 22

Eco-tours Barahona took me out to Bah?a de las Agu?las. I've traveled a lot in this country but I've never been to Bah?a. All I can say is...wow. This is such a virgin, off the map beach, tucked far away in the Parque Nacional Jaragua. 8km of white sands and lapping waters. There's also something about being so far away from everything that adds to the pleasure. We spent about 3 hours at the beach, of which, I took plenty of pictures, snorkeled and saw tons of starfish and just laid out on the sand.

We took a boat to the beach but visitors can also drive or even walk. The entrance to the park at Las Cuevas, which any car can get to is RD$100. After Las Cuevas I would only recommend a strong 4x4 vehicle to get to the beach. Now, the cost for the boast was RD$1,800 for 1-5 passengers. I think on my next trip I will simply walk. It's about 6km from the park entrance to Bah?a de las Agu?las. Given, this is desert climate and strong sun but I love to hike. And for me, when you have to work to get there, the experience of arriving is all that more enjoyable.

I posted some new pics: Barahona and Beyond - DR1 Media Gallery

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Hi Thomas, I'm enjoying your trip reports and your pictures so much. I have two questions, where are those caves where you took pictures and where is Cueve de la Virgen? I had never heard of them.

Regarding Polo Magn?tico, you're so right, I can't believe such a famous tourist landmark in Barahona is kept in such disregard from the authorities. It doesn't take a great investment to put some signs or markers and make the stop a bit more appealing.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Hi Thomas, I'm enjoying your trip reports and your pictures so much. I have two questions, where are those caves where you took pictures and where is Cueve de la Virgen? I had never heard of them.

Regarding Polo Magn?tico, you're so right, I can't believe such a famous tourist landmark in Barahona is kept in such disregard from the authorities. It doesn't take a great investment to put some signs or markers and make the stop a bit more appealing.

Well, if I told you how to get to Cueva de la Virgen, you would be taken out :)

Actually I was taken to Cueva de la Virgen by the community initiative of Guan Aventuras in La Ci?nega. It is one of the tour options they offer. The best way I can explain to you would be an hour long car ride on the road behind Casa Bonita, opposite direction of Casa de Tarz?n, and another one hour hike into the woods.

Guan Aventuras wants to keep this secret because they plan to bring people out there and make some money for the community; which I totally understand. There are actually 33 caves that, when exploited with proper equipment, will blow the socks off of Damajagua Falls in the north.

I'm glad you've enjoyed my posts. I have one more for today, which was my last in the South West.

Reactions: Tamborista

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Yesterday was my last day in the South and I once again got on a tour with Eco-tours Barahona. Today, we went up to the Larimar mines. The turnoff to the mines is just past Hotel Pontevedra on the right hand side if you are coming West from Barahona. This is about a 45 minute drive up a very poor road. I would only recommend a 4x4 vehicle to do this trip.

From a visual standpoint, the area around the mines was not very appealing; lots of trash strewn all over the place. I suppose these men are here to do dangerous work, so making things clean and tidy is not #1 on their importance list.

I was able to enter several mines and I garnered a great respect for these miners. The mine is hot, cramped, wet and claustrophobic. That's considering that I only went in maybe 50 ft. These mines then plummet down into the depths, some reaching 700ft. At this point there is no air and the heat is overwhelming. Oxygen is pumped from generators at the entrance of the mine. The power comes from makeshift electrical wiring basically supported on sticks. These men do this more than eight hours a day, looking for Larimar.

As I was cramped and sweating in the mine with my feet in ankle deep water and mud, I asked two miners: Why do this? They responded that there were a lack of options for work, that mining Larimar gave them a steady stream of income and, most of all, the chance of finding a big block of very expensive Blue Larimar. It's like playing the lottery I guess.

The tour also included a stop at Villa Miriam for lunch which is a beautiful "natural waterpark" in San Rafael. For only RD$100 pesos per person you can enjoy a bunch of waterfalls, swimming holes and pools. I'm assuming this gets pretty packed on the weekends but, at least on Tuesday, we were the only ones there.

After a solid week of experiencing the South of the DR, I must say that this is the eco-touristic center of our country. There is so much to see that a week did not give me enough time. There are so many contrasts that you are forced to appreciate the variety of this small island: gorgeous beaches, mountain hikes, waterfalls, hidden caves, scenic drives, deserts, lagoons, lakes, cloud forest, etc. Some of these changes are so abrupt, like my trip from San Rafael to Cachote Cloud Forest; where in one hour, the temperature dropped about 15 degrees in the early afternoon.

When chatting with a Dominican friend of mine while in Barahona, she asked: Why are you in Barahona? There's nothing there.

This comment resonated in me because I believe many Dominicans think exactly that. That "el sur" is just a big desert. From an international standpoint, many have no idea the region even exists .

This could be the eco-touristic center of this country, instead, I was surprised to find one tour company in the entire region, working out of a tiny office in Para?so. Like many places outside of Punta Cana, the infrastructure lacks and so does the promotion. And it's the foreign organizations, like the US funded Clusters or the European Union that produce the promotional information or community projects. If only the local government was more involved, but I think that is the case in many places.

"El Sur" is definitely for the adventurer. There's much to experience... if you don't mind sweating a bit and getting your shoes dirty.

A special thanks to Prestige Rental Car who provided me with transportation.

Also to Hotel el Quemaito who provided lodging.

And also to Eco-tours Barahona who helped show me around.

I added some more photos to the album: Barahona and Beyond - DR1 Media Gallery

Below were some of the highlights for me:

Last edited:
Reactions: ben jammin