Moving with my dog to DR

Noir

Feb 10, 2010
Ok so I finally got everything figured out I got all my documents that I need and bought my tickets..and this morning something came to my mind..Must my dogs passport and health certificate also be legalized at the dominican republic embassy here?Anyone ever travel with a pet before to DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should have a Vet's report that the dog has been vaccinated and is in good health. It should be dated within the last month, and it would be nice to have a consulate stamp on it.

Tons of people have brought their animals here with little or no hassle.

HB

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Hello Noir!
i am flying in and out with my little dog ...from different airports from Europe.... and the only paper they want to see at the airport is that the vaccine still valid and from a Vet a health certificate that your dog is OK. nothing from embassy needed.

The health certif. should not be older than a few days! I usually do it 2 days before leaving.

When you arrive they will give you an import certification which costs i think 300 pesos and copy the vaccination papers of the dog and your pp. They are really nice at the dominican airports.

from where are you flying in?

Noir

Feb 10, 2010
Hello and thx for your replies!I am flying in from greece!My dogs papers are not translated(they are in english) and have all the vaccines and stamps also.I will do the last check up on my dog 5 days before arrival.I also bought the appropriate cage with IATA regulations and basically all is ok..I was just worried about the translation issue!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have arrived in the DR with our dog many times with the vaccination and certificate of health in english. They were dated about a week prior to arrival. We were seen by the animal inspection person and were through with that in 5-10 minutes.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Hello and thx for your replies!I am flying in from greece!My dogs papers are not translated(they are in english) and have all the vaccines and stamps also.I will do the last check up on my dog 5 days before arrival.I also bought the appropriate cage with IATA regulations and basically all is ok..I was just worried about the translation issue!

they don't ask for spanish translation. english is fine. if you are coming from greece, for sure you have this dog passport. my vet stamped in this that the dog was OK. no other papers needed. they check the rabbis vaccine date....also this is for protection for your dog! here in the DR they have a huge rabbis problem!
you are done in 5 to 10 min ! what kind of dog you are bringing with you? if the dog is small less then 5kg with some airlines you can take it with you in the cabin! a dog suffers a lot going as cargo. put a blanket in the box to keep it warm during flight.

which airline do you use?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
legally you need the papers in spanish, if this is not possible for you ask for the international rabies certificate (which is in several languages, as well as in spanish). The cost here is indeed 300 pesos, and people in general are very nice (we brought in 11 dogs and only had small problems the last time, they wanted 500 pesos tax for the 3 dogs).

a dog traveling in cargo is no hassle for the dog (even our 2 puppies suffered none), just make sure your captain knows your dog is on board...

good luck and welcome