Playa Palenque

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
While I was working with my photos from January I came across a couple I took of our favorite beach - Playa Palenque in San Cristobal Province.

DSC00292.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Looks lovely...Thanks for sharing...Let us hope it stays that way for a really long time..

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Looks lovely...Thanks for sharing...Let us hope it stays that way for a really long time..

HB

I agree Hillbilly, it's usually exactly like that except on Sundays when mostly middle class Dominicans come. Most of them don't go in the water. All week long there are a group of Europeans there [staying the winter at a guest house/hotel down the road about a mile], some couples but mostly single older men with their Dominican sweeties.

Down the beach to the west [the second photo] there is a gated development that is supposed to be built, and they bought just about all the land to the Nizao River, so we'll see.

Many years ago, 1978 to be precise, we spent a week on the north coast, and that's how I remember Sosua Beach looking.... haven't been back, but I hear it's changed a little :cheeky:

AE

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Nice Pictures

Thank you for posting the pictures. I have spent many an afternoon looking at that view while reading books, watching the fishermen and snorkelers, eating the freshly caught fish and sipping cold beer. A very tranquil spot, but with everything it takes to make this simple man happy. I have seen political rallies there and one day a 250 lb pig wandered through the beach side chairs and nobody even took notice. It made me smile. I like the idea that even while sitting at the tables in the beach side restaurant the very pleasant and non-pushy beach vendors would come by offer their various homemade sweets and other snacks. No pressure and no complaints. A great spot. I hope the new projects planned for that spot do not ruin it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Never saw a political rally there, just peace and quiet and beauty. I love Cheo's Empanadas! You must "know" the two old twin sisters who wander amongst the tables with their hands out - it was years before we realized there were two of them!

I love watching the fishermen set their nets and pull them in - takes forever. I was sorry to see a banana boat and waverunner rentals last time we were there, sleepy Palenque is waking up.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Yes, I know the two sisters. When I see them and give them a few pesos they are always grateful and never fail to give me a little wave when I see them on the street. I was there when Raul Mondesi from San Cristobal was stumping for votes and giving away cans of beer. Now that's a polititian! Two years ago when Leonel was running for President, his Vice President had a parade through the beach area and then lunch and a meet and greet at the Hotel Playa Palenque. I was staying at the hotel but managed to avoid most of it. The small kids I was with got a kick out of the parade. An hour later the peace and quiet was back.It is one of my favorite spots in the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And this is one of the twins who are always at Playa Palenque, morning until sundown. If you've seen one, you've seen both.

CIMG0297.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
where is this place in realation to san cristobal city?

It's to the west of the city of San Cristobal. From San Cristobal you have to go over the mountain. It's the next beach after Playa Najayo.

From the capital we usually go through Haina, it's quicker.

You can also come off the SD-Bani highway and go through Duveaux [sp?] and that road takes you directly to the coast. Just make a right when the road ends. The entrance is a little tricky now because of the construction, but it's easy to find because it's the little road that runs to the east of the big sugar cane refinery.

You can also look for directions to the massive Docimen Cement Factory, after you pass that it's only a few more miles straight down the road to Playa Palenque.

AE

bryan

Mar 9, 2002
Sorry to get off the post, but I am going to visit some friends in San Cristobal and was wondering if there are any villas or houses to rent for a week near the beach.

Thanks,
Bryan

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
...The entrance is a little tricky now because of the construction, but it's easy to find because it's the little road that runs to the east of the big sugar cane refinery. AE

How much construction is happening now Alter?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The construction I mentioned in that post was the highway between Bani & Santo Domingo/San Cristobal, you can come in through Duveaux that way.

The construction at Coconut Paradise in Palenque/Cocolandia has not progressed at all. There's a partial wall encircling the land, and if their financing goes through they're going to start putting up 4 models very soon, so I'm told. Meanwhile, across the road from there is another possibility - a guy is selling lots, streets and curbs are in, you buy your lot and build what you want, a couple of houses are up already and look nice. Hard to do long distance though.....

AE