Need some computer help again...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I now see what has been giving me endless grief.

Jive-a$$ computer techs installing bootleg OS's in my system. This past Christmas I took my computer to the incredible vanishing "tecnico" because I couldn't find the problem on my own.

He tells me he's going to do a clean install of the new Windows 7. I asked if I was going to have problems with it and he said no. Well, turns out that...

1) It was not a clean install, but an update.

2) The update is an evaluation copy that has an expiration date ending last week.

3) I googled the problem and lo and behold, the new set of problems are caused by this bootleg OS.

4) The fat little piggy that did the work and got paid has gone into hiding and is nowhere to be found.

So here are my questions-

1) I want to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium. I noticed that on the previous install that "el cerdo" did for me, none of my data needed transferring and remained untouched. Would I need to transfer the data for a clean install? I do not want to lose any of it and I don't have room on my other hard drive to temporarily move the data over.

2) I need to replace a cd/dvd burner in my system. The last one was IDE. This one is SATA. What type of cable/adapter do I need to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I need the home computer up and running smoothly.

A laptop isn't going to cut it right now.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have an unopened Windows 7 64bit upgrade if you need it.
You probably want a Windows 7 original disc.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have an unopened Windows 7 64bit upgrade if you need it.
You probably want a Windows 7 original disc.

Thanks, the offer is very generous, but while I was researching this I see that the upgrade discs are for people already running an OS.

I want to start from scratch and get rid of any remnants of the OS I have now.

Turns out the Windows Vista I had before it was upgraded to Windows 7 was also a bootleg.

Get a Mac. You'll be much happier.

Yeah, I know-but I'm married to the system I have currently for the present time. Once I get the OS and the DVD burner up and running I'll be good. I promised a couple of people copies of some films that I have and don't have any way of making copies for them. Very frustrating, as I do no like to promise something and not be able to deliver.

And unfortunately the "tecnicos" I've employed in the past have proven to be an unpleasant combination of unreliability and condescension, and the ones who are cool people don't seem to know any more than me.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
Get an online backup like Carbonite and go for the free trial. Then completely wipe your computer and install all new software. Then recover your files from online. You are bound to have some conversion issues but your files will exist in the netherworld until you can tweak it back into existance.

At about $50 a year, Carbonite isn't a bad idea anyway...

Reactions: Berzin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, from a cost and time-saving point of view, what Adrian said makes a ton of sense, since there are laptops and even new computers below $400 now with lots of bells and whistles.
And moving data is a snap.

Frank just stated what all uses of Apple know: They are easier to use and easier to upkeep than any of the MS systems...and he was being a little tongue in cheek, too.

However, I do think Frank could call some of his old friends in the city to locate the "Pig"" who messed up Berzin's puter....How about it Frank???

HB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I know some people are able to find keys on the Internet to make bootlegged software last longer.

I want to avoid this because it's been the source of 90% of my computer problems.

In general it is always a good idea to back up your data before installation of a new operating system.

That is exactly what I'm going to do, after the DVD is properly installed. Can't install the OS without it. So for now I have to deal with the computer shutting off every two hours.

Get an online backup like Carbonite and go for the free trial. Then completely wipe your computer and install all new software. Then recover your files from online. You are bound to have some conversion issues but your files will exist in the netherworld until you can tweak it back into existence.

I was thinking the same thing. I'll use a service like this, do the clean install and then retrieve my data.

Last edited:

johnmeek

Jan 25, 2009
ok, do this

Really the only thing you can do is buy another hard drive and do the clean install on it. take the current hard drive and make it your secondary hard drive. The fact the you had a boot leg copy of the OS is going to prevent you from upgrading that drive. And since you and to keep you files it would be the best couse of action to take.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
There is a good chance that NONE of the programs you installed to make those film copies will work without being re-installed.

It may be a little late to do back-ups if the OS has expired, how would you use the computer?

For less than $100 you can go to a local computer store and buy a USB portable hard drive to use to back up your data manually.

A "clean" install" I believe will wipe out everything on your hard drive and re-format it.

BACKUP that data BEFORE anyone else touches your computer !!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnMeek has a good suggestion also........

Don

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
First thing to do is as SantiagoDR said, get a 1TB external HD and save everything overthere. Once you has saved all your data, then you can do a clean install. I can help you with that, just shoot me a PM.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The fact the you had a boot leg copy of the OS is going to prevent you from upgrading that drive.

What do you mean by upgrading the drive? You mean it will be difficult for me to do a clean OS install on the drive because of the bootleg OS currently on it?

It may be a little late to do back-ups if the OS has expired, how would you use the computer?

I'm able to get like two hours in before it shuts off and starts again. This happens at regular intervals, and began happening when I received the last pop-up notice that the OS license had expired.

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have never seen computer shut down at intervals because of OS licensing issues. Does hard drive make any noise when it happens? You really need to back up your data as soon as possible.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Alyonka-I never heard of it either, but I googled the issue and others have had the same problem.

The hard drive doesn't make any noise, so I know it's not that.

The fact that this problem began when the license expired made me suspicious that it was indeed the outdated OS that is the culprit.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The hard drive doesn't make any noise, so I know it's not that.

If you value any of your files on that HD, I strongly suggest you follow the advice of backing up your HD today.

You really need to go to Best Buy or Costco and buy an external NOW, while you are there buy a licensed copy of Windows 7, not the upgrade from Vista!

Stop wasting your time on here asking what to do, you were given advice, now please report back all of your files are on your external HD this afternoon!

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
If you're in Santiago, I'll fix that for you, for free, I have an OEM Win7 disk, that I acquired, shouldn't take more than an hour.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Berzin, just bring your laptop to me, I will fix it. I am the rocky of santiago (santo domingo as well).
You are having temperature problems. The laptops air circulation vents are clogging up and now they are shutting down your laptop after they reach certain temperatures. The laptop will shut down faster if you really make the cpu work harder example: compressing a video etc. Put the laptop on a bed where the vents are closed off, watch how fast it will shut down.
The best thing to do is to take the battery off and unplug the power cord. Now take the laptop to a car service station or a tire place where they can take the compressed air hose and really pressure clean your air vents in your laptop. This will blow away any clogging lints you have inside and shoot it out from small tiny holes in your laptop.
The over heating problem will be solved for something.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Depending on the size of the files you need to back up you might be able to use a 10G flash drive and they are pretty cheap.